Dedicated listening room

lofreek

Dedicated listening room
« on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:20 pm »
My architect and I have officially filed an application with the city of Maryland Heights for a zoning variance. I need the variance in order to build a room addition of a certain size to create a dedicated listening room. I have been dreaming about this for years! There will be a hearing sometime in October. Wish me luck. I will post progress reports of the project.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Dedicated listening room
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:21 pm »
Congrats!  Good luck on the meeting.

Having a dedicated space is really nice.

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2007, 05:43 pm »
Oh, that's cool. Have any photos of floor plans etc....?

Bob

lofreek

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:10 pm »
Not that far along yet. The only drawing currently is a basic outline of the house with the proposed garage and room addition. It shows how we go beyond the 25% allowable structure to land ratio, to 30%. This is why I need the zoning variance. I will show some photos of the goofy terrain in my back yard and why adding space to my house is the only thing to do with it.

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:38 pm »
Good luck with Maryland Heights. They can really be a pain in the a$$. They've had our Edward Jones office building tied up in plan review since May.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing it.
steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:39 pm »
Yea, update when you can. (We like photos :wink:)
.....and good luck with Maryland Hgts.  :roll: :lol:

Bob

lofreek

« Reply #6 on: 12 Sep 2007, 03:45 pm »
The hearing is scheduled for October 1 at 7pm. I have to jump through a few small hoops in the next couple of days, but I am very confident in a favorable outcome. Soon, all of my persistent study of the Alton Everest, Jeff Cooper, Mike Stavrou, and Rod Gervais books will pay off handsomely.

lofreek

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2007, 11:25 am »
Here is what happened at the hearing last night. The zoning board heard the testimony of my architect, my wife, the city planner, and myself. The board then decided to vote on it immediately, and (drum roll please...) unanimously approved my zoning variance!

My next door neighbor, who expressed to me his approval of this project, was the only neighbor who showed up for the hearing. Coincidentally, the city planner cited  this neighbor's house as an example in my favor - it has a whopping 38% coverage! My request was merely to bump coverage up to 30%, so it proved I was not out of line. Right on. :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2007, 11:29 am »
Sweet!   :thumb:

It's nice once in a while when common sense prevails and things don't have to become a major hassle. 

Bryan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2007, 12:12 pm »
Congratulations Larry, that's got to be some kind of record for Maryland Hts.
I think your neighbor is only interested because, well....he wants to be your new best friend when your room is finished. :wink:

And by the way, please don't forget....We like photos, drawings and blueprints.  8) :lol:

Have fun on the build dude, that's going to be a labor of love.

Bob

lofreek

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2007, 01:19 pm »
 :scratch: I had no idea they would be so efficient. I expected for there to be at least an agonizing wait for a letter with the decision.

Full steam ahead. Pictures and drawings will be provided.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2007, 01:41 pm »
Rock on!   :banana piano:

Another place to have get-togethers   :lol:

steve k

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2007, 02:33 pm »
Great news, Larry!

They must have been in a hurry to get out of there!  aa

Keep us posted on the progress. Will you be having band practrice there too?
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2007, 05:44 pm »
Hey that great news  :thumb:

Now you need to double your budget so you can buy room treatments from Bryan, power conditioning from Chris, speakers from Ryan, and....and...and  :lol:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2007, 06:18 pm »

Now you need to double your budget so you can buy room treatments from Bryan, power conditioning from Chris, speakers from Ryan, and....and...and  :lol:

Ha, please let me build somebody some speakers.  My wife says the basement is like walking through a minefield of speaker boxes ... more drivers down there than I know what to do with.

lofreek

« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2007, 01:54 pm »
All in due time, gentlemen.

Here is a nice bit of synchronicity to pass along. An old friend of mine, who owned the recording studio in LA where I had my first engineering gig, calls me yesterday. I last spoke with him after the 2006 world series. He and his wife just bought a new house in Camarillo and is in the process of hiring an architect to design a room addition for his new studio! I think I should buy some lottery tickets....

ooheadsoo

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2007, 10:26 pm »

Ha, please let me build somebody some speakers.  My wife says the basement is like walking through a minefield of speaker boxes ... more drivers down there than I know what to do with.

Well, what's the ballpark of your new waveguide dipole?  aa

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #17 on: 4 Oct 2007, 02:06 pm »
Well, what's the ballpark of your new waveguide dipole?  aa

Haha, well that's a good question.  I could theoretically build versions of it anywhere from just under $1000 to probably as high as $5-6K.

lofreek

« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2007, 01:18 pm »
The plans are almost done...it's gonna be shweet! Don't worry, when I have visuals I will post them.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2007, 01:49 pm »
Any updates Larry?

Bob