'Potato masher' tweeters

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
'Potato masher' tweeters
« on: 11 Sep 2007, 04:38 pm »
In my lifelong quest to replace ignorance with information, i've come across question #2931:

"What was the logic behind 'potato masher' tweeters?"

Anyone know how they work?  Diffusion something, yes, but what was the rationale for that particular shape?

Thanks!
/A

JoshK

Re: 'Potato masher' tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:16 pm »
I actually don't think this is the tweeter that is called the potato masher.  The D175 with its horn is typically the one one referred to as the potato masher.  But, to answer your question somewhat, the diffusor is to force more constant directivity throughout the HF's bandwidth.  The tweeter otherwise has a narrowing of dispersion (increasing directivity) with increasing frequency.  If you want to learn more about this I highly recommend taking a gander at audioheritage.org.  There are a lot of altec/jbl fans there with immense knowledge of the history and technology behind this legacy.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2007, 06:19 pm »
the potato masher...

tanchiro58

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2007, 08:34 pm »
the potato masher...

AdamM,

Josh's picture shows these JBL175 with potato masher which make the sound of the horn more musical and not too harsch or bright compared to non potato masher one. I have own these for many years to set up in my custombuilt two way speakers.

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2007, 10:08 pm »
JoshK, tanchiro58, thanks a lot for the info and correction! Much appreciated :)