How many have thought about or have actually installed supertweeter?

Dan_ed

Hi all,

Great topic!  I've  found that another parameter that needs addressing is the position/placement of the tweeter.

I have Edgarhorns and use a Fostex T500 horn tweeter that crosses with the mid-range compression driver by virtue of a 1.5 uF cap. (Exactly as Gary posted.) Bruce has worked out his 1st order xover pretty well so I don't have much need to play with different cap values. But I probably will at some point just to satisfy my curiosity.

I've also measured the response in room at the listening position. At first there was a bump from the tweeter at ~12kHz. By moving the tweeter around I found I could tune this bump out by placing the tweeter more to the front. It now sits even with the mouth of the mid-range horn and I get a near flat response out to 24kHz, which is the limit of my software.

I've also found that moving the tweeter in close to the mouth of the mid-range horn helped a great deal with integrating the sound from the drivers. This I had to by ear, but it has really pulled the horn system together.  I think this is a function of how far one sits from the drivers. The farther away, the more space between drivers can be tolerated. The closer one gets, the more the drivers need to be closer together.

Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Dan,

I am looking at Fostex T90A with the 100w L-pad.  Did you get the Fostex copper/tin foil capacitor or something else for your T500? 

doug s.

• makin' music
i must respectfully disagree that subs are not needed w/single-driver speakers.  even bob brines fta-2000's.  i used to own a pair of thiel 3.5's, which were -2db at 20hz.  even those speakers benefited from being actively crossed over to subs.  not only was the bass quality & quantity better, but the thiel's upper bass & lower midrange was better, as its 10" driver didn't see any frequencies below its 80hz crossover point.  w/a full-range driver, the improvements to be gained from it not having to deal w/any low-frequency info, are even greater, imo...

ymmv,

doug s.

Buddy,

I was trying to write "tongue in cheek", but the purist in me still resists adding a sub (not needed with my Bob Brines FTA-2000s) or supertweeter (as Bob says, the need is probably more a question of your age than anything else). 

IMO the meat/heart of the music is between 40 - 8,000 Hz (8 octaves).  50 years ago or so designers were happy for the most part to call 80 - 8,000 Hz (7 octaves) full range.  If you look into vintage speakers, few went below 40 Hz and most mid/tweeters were front loaded horns.  (Both done to keep efficiency up with the small amps that were about the only thing available in their day.)

Putting in another plug for Brines:  he offers plans, pre-cut cabinet panels, assembled cabinets, or fully assembled speakers all at very reasonable prices.  So for as little as $300 for the parts you could glue up and veneer a very nice 37 - 20,000 Hz, 94 dB/w/m, 8 ohm pair of floorstanding speakers (less than what many pay for just speaker stands).

The supertweeter question also reminds me of designs that use a simple tweeter/cap design, like the smaller Reference 3A models, but don't promote themselves as single driver designs.  So there is a potentially "slippery slope" here. 

It's ironic to me that some would spend more on the supertweeter (to fill in one octave) than the original driver (that's covering the heart of the music).

Your supertweeter application doesn't seem to fall into any of these "practical" pitfalls.

Dan_ed

woodsyi,

I didn't get the Fostex cap. I'm using a cheapy Solex cap for now. Once I'm sure that I'm satisfied with the xover I'll look into the high dollar stuff.  I do wonder if there is any synergy using the Foxtex cap with their drivers.

Dan

woodsyi

• Volunteer
i must respectfully disagree that subs are not needed w/single-driver speakers.  even bob brines fta-2000's.  i used to own a pair of thiel 3.5's, which were -2db at 20hz.  even those speakers benefited from being actively crossed over to subs.  not only was the bass quality & quantity better, but the thiel's upper bass & lower midrange was better, as its 10" driver didn't see any frequencies below its 80hz crossover point.  w/a full-range driver, the improvements to be gained from it not having to deal w/any low-frequency info, are even greater, imo...

ymmv,

doug s.

doug,

You knov I am a bass hound, but I think this depends on the music you are listening to.  I am all for a full range coverage on a main system, but if you are specifically using the single driver speakers to focus on voices and small ensemble music, coherence and simplicity of a single driver may vin over having the first octave.  Of course, I say this even as I contemplate using a supertveeter,  :oops: but it vill just be a first order highpass on the tveet....

doug s.

• makin' music
doug,

You knov I am a bass hound, but I think this depends on the music you are listening to.  I am all for a full range coverage on a main system, but if you are specifically using the single driver speakers to focus on voices and small ensemble music, coherence and simplicity of a single driver may vin over having the first octave.  Of course, I say this even as I contemplate using a supertveeter,  :oops: but it vill just be a first order highpass on the tveet....
hi rim,

you may be right.  but... i think first octave issues are not the only reason why subwoofing is important - relieving the main speaker of seeing any low frequency load makes it sound better, imo.  even if it means having to send the signal thru an active x-over - the benefits outweigh the penalty of the extra components in the signal path, imo.  you have nice subs - try it both ways w/your omega's & see what you think...

doug s.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
If I go off the single driver train, it would be to something like this:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0107/diy_loudspeaker_project.htm

This would provide a high quality main driver and relief it of the "heavy bass lifting" work.

Derockster

Hey guys, just want to say this forum is great and you guys are a wealth of knowledge.Here's my system.A Technics sp25 turntable with an Sme series 3 arm with a Shure v15 type v cartridge into an Ear 834 phono stage into an Almarro a205a mk11(with a full compliment of vintage mullard tubes)driving a pair of Jericho Horns.The system is wired entirely with 47 Ota cable.It's a work in progress but I'm loving it.My next step is to try a set of super tweeters on Ashox's recommendations then a pair of passive subs.Any comments would be greatly appretiated. Warm Regards from sunny Barbados Derockster :D

Derockster

Hey jrebman just want to say you're doing a great job.Once again superb forum.Regards Derockster :thumb:

jrebman

Derockster,

Welcome, and thanks for the vote of confidence.  Love that Almarro -- that's on my short list for small amps to own one of these days.

Barbados? 8) Hint: the facilitator can easily be bribed with top quality rum :D.

Again, welcome and sorry for the late reply -- been a bit under the weather the past several days.

-- Jim

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
I played quite a bit with supertweeters. As long as it is XOed high (10k plus) with a single cap, the quality of the tweeter doesn't seem to be super critical. These will add air you didn't even know you were missing.

My technique for dialing in the tweeter, is to start with a series cap that you know is too small, then add small caps (ie 0.1 uf) in parallel and listen. Add more listen. When you start to hear the tweeter getting in the way back off a bit and go buy a really good cap.

Keep in mind that if the T is more efficient than the FR that the XO could be high. I did a ballpark for a fellow the other day and the nominal XO was over 50k.

dave

woodsyi

• Volunteer
I have the following.
Capacitors (2)

Super Tweeters (2)

Attenuators (2)

Small boxes (7 3/4” W x 6” D x 3” H) to house the cap and attenuator (2)

Speakers

Since I have never done this before, can some body give me the right schematic?  I plan to drill a hole on the front side of the humitor for the attenuator.  Cap will be glued inside.  Do I need to put binding posts on the box and biwire or run the wire to the speaker's binding posts?

doug s.

• makin' music
rim,

i would suggest using a separate amp altogether for the supertweeter.  if you bi-wire or run the tweets from the omega's jacks, you will be cutting the impedance load of the speakers in half.  ie: if both speakers are 8 ohm rated, then the load is 4 ohms to the amp.  depending on the actual impedance of your speakers, & the load capacity of the amp, it may not matter, tho; then bi-wiring or connecting the tweets to the mains w/short jumpers would be ok.  best results, imo, would be to use an active outboard x-over...

best,

doug s.

I have the following.
Capacitors (2)

Super Tweeters (2)

Attenuators (2)

Small boxes (7 3/4” W x 6” D x 3” H) to house the cap and attenuator (2)

Speakers

Since I have never done this before, can some body give me the right schematic?  I plan to drill a hole on the front side of the humitor for the attenuator.  Cap will be glued inside.  Do I need to put binding posts on the box and biwire or run the wire to the speaker's binding posts?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
if you bi-wire or run the tweets from the omega's jacks, you will be cutting the impedance load of the speakers in half.  ie: if both speakers are 8 ohm rated, then the load is 4 ohms to the amp.  depending on the actual impedance of your speakers

This is an overly simplistic (and in the end very inaccurate) description of what happens.

The series cap on the tweeter causes the impedance of the tweeter circuit to rise dramatically below the XO point, meaning we can effecticely ignore its impedance at low frequencies. The inherent inductance of the full-range causes its impedance to increase at high frequencies such that where the impedance of the tweeter gets down to 8 ohms the FR has a high enuff impedance that it does not contribute significantly.

Bottom Line. No problem. (if there was multiway loudspeakers would not work at all)

dave

woodsyi

• Volunteer
The series cap on the tweeter causes the impedance of the tweeter circuit to rise dramatically below the XO point, meaning we can effecticely ignore its impedance at low frequencies. The inherent inductance of the full-range causes its impedance to increase at high frequencies such that where the impedance of the tweeter gets down to 8 ohms the FR has a high enuff impedance that it does not contribute significantly.

Bottom Line. No problem. (if there was multiway loudspeakers would not work at all)

dave

Very nice.  I was thinking this.  If I glue the super tweet on top of the box and put a trunk hinge on it, I can vary the vertical angle of the super tweeter.  Would that be more beneficial or would the additional 3" from the box be bad?

Doug, I do have an XM9 somewhere out on loan.  I want to try the passive and compare to active later. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Very nice.  I was thinking this.  If I glue the super tweet on top of the box and put a trunk hinge on it, I can vary the vertical angle of the super tweeter.  Would that be more beneficial or would the additional 3" from the box be bad?

Doug, I do have an XM9 somewhere out on loan.  I want to try the passive and compare to active later. 

At the large (given the frequencies involved) distance even if you mounted it on the box as close as possible more distance may  or may not be better. I'd just set it on top with the cute little round legged holder/stand. Back & forward will have more affect, but even that will depend on where you hold your head.

You may also just want to try without the attenuator and a really small cap (you need a whole bunch of caps to be able to dial these sTs in).

If my XM9 iexperience is any indication, it will be far too veiling to be used in this application. You best bet if you want to biamp is to use a 1st order PLLXO (which can be as simple as shrinking a coupling cap in your amp)

dave

SET Man

You may also just want to try without the attenuator and a really small cap (you need a whole bunch of caps to be able to dial these sTs in).

dave

Hey!

Yup, this what I'm using right now and luckily works pretty well. :D

My main drivers are Fostex FE167E of which have a sensitivity of 94dB and I'm using Fostex FT17H as supertweeters of which are rated at 98.5dB. But from the graph the FT17H start to roll higher top. Not a bad match to start with.

I started using cheap L-Pad and Solen 1uf caps but didn't sound right. Than as the caps got smaller I found that I'm using less of the L-Pad to the point where I just run it wide open.

Right now I actually using a single 0.47uf cap without L-pad. This blend nicely. :D To make it simple I just piggy backed the supertweeter off the speaker posts. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Scott F.

Hey woodsyi,

With the Hemps, I think you are going to find that the 1.5uF cap selection will cross over way too low. Mine is much like Buddy's, he is using a .47, mine is like a .22 (my Lowthers are a little more extended than Buddy's Fostex). If I were you, I'd order a .47 and then a few .1uF metalized poly IC's (Illinois Capacitors) from Digikey. They are cheap and will do just fine for dialing in your XO point. After you find where it sounds best, then buy a decent cap. I think you will find yourself settling between a .2 and a .4uF on the Hemps.

Also, that Fostex L-Pad is the identical one sold at Parts Express for a few bucks less (if that matters). Speaking of PE, they have some cheap caps too. You may look at the Janzen Cross Caps. You can easily get by with a 50V cap. Don't worry about soldering while you are dialing the XO in as you'll be adding and subtracting caps on the fly. You may want to pick up a .047uF cap just to do that last little tweak on the XO point.

Oh, don't forget you'll need to reverse the phase on the tweeter when you connect it. Just place the cap on the positive terminal and then flip positive and negative when you connect it to the binding posts. It's pretty simple.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Oh, don't forget you'll need to reverse the phase on the tweeter when you connect it. Just place the cap on the positive terminal and then flip positive and negative when you connect it to the binding posts. It's pretty simple.

I don't know about that... worth trying both ways...

dave

doug s.

• makin' music
thanks, dave, for educating me about the passive x-over for supertweeters.   :)  but, i am curious about your comments on the marchand x-over - i have never heard any amplifier degradation that has had a marchand x-over placed in front of it....

doug s.

At the large (given the frequencies involved) distance even if you mounted it on the box as close as possible more distance may  or may not be better. I'd just set it on top with the cute little round legged holder/stand. Back & forward will have more affect, but even that will depend on where you hold your head.

If my XM9 iexperience is any indication, it will be far too veiling to be used in this application. You best bet if you want to biamp is to use a 1st order PLLXO (which can be as simple as shrinking a coupling cap in your amp)

dave