The upcoming Signature 70.2 Monblocks! (long, and detailed)...

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
All,

As promised, I am posting as many details of the upcoming Signature 70.2 Monoblocks as I have available.  Because all these details contain over the maximum allow post length, I am breaking it up into two posts (this one, immediately followed by the other).  :P

Just like the Signature 30.2, let me begin with describing what has changed the most with the Signature 70.2… the SOUND!  :singing:

If fact, much of this post is very similar to the Signature 30.2 details post.

Here are the goals that I set out to achieve in terms of sonic improvements:

a) A warmer, and more seductive sound signature
b) Greater dimensionality
c) Added bass weight
d) Sweeter top end
e) Richer tone, without sacrificing any PRaT

Simply put, I wanted to obtain an even more musical and more SET-like sound in the midrange and top-end, and a weightier “push-pull” sound in the bass. 

Lovers of tone and musicality (lovers of what a well-designed tube amp can do) will LOVE the new sound that the Signature 70.2 Monoblocks offer compared to the Signature 70s.  However, just like the Signature 70, the Signature 70.2 ventures into territories that SETs simply can’t compete in such as the ability to drive less efficient speakers (power!), ultra-black background (going off-the-grid with SLA battery power), dynamics, bass control and articulation, etc.  8)

Compared to the Signature 30.2, the Signature 70.2 monoblocks offers even better sound quality!  The 70.2 features even better bass response, sound staging, stereo imaging, and spaciousness. This distinctiveness is attributed to the monoblock operation… the separate power supplies, complete isolation between the channels, and the change in the output stage circuit configuration (paralleled output mode).  Into 4-ohm loads, you can also expect twice the output current.. and 70W per channel RMS.

Obtaining the new sound of the Signature 70.2 has been an extremely long and time-consuming process that has been going on for many months. :banghead:  I can’t begin to tell you all how many times I have swapped in different parts, different values of parts, going back and forth listening to many different test tracks, going back and forth with measuring equipment, and even with different speakers.  I refused to be satisfied with results that were only slightly noticeable, or results that did not meet ALL of the goals listed above that I was chasing long and hard for.  I realized that to get the results that I was looking for, I would not only have to change certain critical parts used in the Signature 70, but also the design of the input and output stages. 

Signature 70.2 Amplifier Board

The amplifier board in the Signature 70.2 has been heavily modified in order to reach the sonic goals that I have mentioned above.  Here are some of the changes:

1) New output filter design that uses all new, higher-quality components as well as all new filtering characteristics.

2) The new output filter components are now hard-wired together (point-to-point) and have the speaker output cables also hard-wired to them, thus bypassing the traces in the printed circuit board for an even shorter, cleaner signal path.

3) New PIO (paper-in-oil) input capacitor of an even higher-end grade

4) Modified input stage design, which also features higher quality parts such as resistors, new dc offset pot, etc.

The Signature 70.2 and The SMART Module

The next major goal of the Signature 70.2 (following the sonic enhancements) was to make the use of the SLA battery power fool-proof  :nono:.  I am very excited to announce a new Red Wine Audio innovation that will be featured in ALL of our “off-the-grid” sealed lead-acid battery powered products and modifications going forward –

The Red Wine Audio SMART module! (SLA battery Monitoring and Auto Recharge circuiT)   

This is a small circuit board (approx 2” x 3”) that will take the place of the mechanical On/Charge toggle switch that has been used in all of our existing products. 

As detailed below, the SMART module will eliminate the concern of accidentally leaving your SLA battery powered RWA product ON and forgetting to charge it (which results in significantly reduced battery life or even ending the life of the battery, as SLA batteries do NOT like to be deeply discharged).   

Here are the detailed features of the new Red Wine Audio SMART Module:

1) Instead of using a mechanical switch to connect the SLA battery power to the load, the SMART module uses a high-current MOSFET (controlled by a small integrated circuit) to connect the SLA battery power to the load.  The battery charger is also connected to the SLA battery via a pair of high-current MOSFETs that switch on/off both Charger + and Charger GND connections.

When the product is ON and running off of the SLA battery power, both the Charger + and  Charger GND MOSFETs are OFF, so the charger is completely disconnected from the SLA battery.  This isolates the battery when the product is on and prevents any ground-loops with other mains-powered audio equipment (e.g. powered subwoofers) when charging.

2) When the product is turned ON, the battery voltage is constantly being monitored via an integrated circuit on the SMART module.  Once the battery voltage drops to a set threshold (this is set by Red Wine Audio at the factory for a 12V or 24V system), the battery will immediately be disconnected from the load (i.e., the load MOSFET turns OFF) and connected to the SLA Auto Battery Charger via a pair of the same type of MOSFETs that switch both the Charger + and Charger GND terminals to the SLA battery to begin the charge process automatically. 

3) Turning ON the Red Wine Audio product that features the SMART module is simply done by pressing a momentary switch (see Signature 70.2 Front Panel details below).  Turning OFF of the product that features the SMART module (i.e., removing the load from the battery and starting the battery charge process) is simply done by pressing and holding down the momentary switch for 1 to 2 seconds, OR as mentioned above, if the battery voltage drops to the set threshold limit while the product is left ON it will automatically turn OFF and begin the charging process.  If the charger is not connected, the SMART module will still remove the battery from the load to prevent the battery from becoming deeply discharged. 

4) When ON or OFF, the power consumption of the SMART module is extremely
low, so it draws virtually no power from the batteries.

5) The SMART module offers superb current flow from the battery to the load, as well as much enhanced reliability.  This is because that compared to the mechanical switches used in all our past designs, the high-current MOSFETs used in the SMART module feature lower turn-on resistance (in the very low milli-ohm range), and these MOSFETs do not have mechanical switch contacts that wear out and degrade over time. 

6) The SMART module will be available towards the end of next month (September) and the first new Red Wine Audio product that will feature it will be the Signature 30.2... followed soon after by the Signature 70.2.

Signature 70.2 SLA Battery Charger

We will also be using a special battery charger that has been modified to work flawlessly with the SMART module, and that offers improvements to previous battery chargers that we have used in the past:

1) Output of 24V, 2A.  This will charge 4X faster than the standard charger that was included with the Signature 70.  :hyper:  This new charger will be controlled by the SMART module.

2) This new charger also features a beefy, aluminum XLR plug for a very secure connection to the Signature 70.2 (see rear panel details below).

3) This new charger also features an IEC mains power jack, and universal input voltage so it can work anywhere in the world (100 – 240Vac, 50/60Hz).  No special “overseas” charger will be required.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor

Signature 70.2 Aesthetic Changes…Front Panel and Rear Panel:

While greatly refined sound quality and fool-proof SLA battery powered operation were our primary goals of the Signature 70.2, another design goal was to refine the built quality and aesthetics of the enclosure used.  Below are details of the changes to the front and rear panels:

Signature 70.2 Front Panel:

1) The new front panel design that will be machined out of 0.50” thick solid aluminum (as opposed to the Signature 70’s 0.1875” thick front panel). 

2) The new front panel will feature a smoother, higher-quality finish than the Signature 70.

3) It will be black anodized and laser etched.  The location and size of the text will be different (See "concept photo" below).

4) The four socket-head machine screws that were visible on the Signature 70 front panel will not be on the Signature 70.2 front panel.  We decided to have the screws attached from behind the front panel for a cleaner, more refined appearance.

5) A round, black-anodized NON-mechanical "touch sensing" switch will be built into the new front panel design on the left side (mount flush with the front panel for a seamless look).  A beautiful red LED will also be built into this switch and will be located above the center of the switch.  When you touch the switch to turn on the product, the red LED above your finger will turn ON and glow a smooth, gorgeous red color.  When you touch and hold down the switch for 1 to 2 seconds to turn OFF the product, the red LED above your finger will turn OFF so you'll know that the product has been turned OFF. 

Signature 70.2 Rear Panel:

1) The Signature 70.2 will also feature a completely redesigned rear panel.  In order to minimize the signal paths to the RCA jacks and speaker posts, we will be locating the RCA jacks on one side and the speaker posts on the other side.  There will no longer be an ON/Charge toggle switch on the rear panel as we are using a special touch-sensing switch to turn on the new SMART module, and this switch will be built into the front panel (see above).

2) The speaker binding posts will be upgraded to much higher quality Vampire posts.

3) The RCA jacks used will also be made by Vampire

4) A new charger jack will be used.  It will be a female XLR jack to be used with a new 24V charger (as described above).

5) All jacks on the new rear panel will be labeled with laser etching

Signature 70.2 Pricing and Options

Signature 70.2 Monoblocks ($4200.00/pair) will have no volume control and will require the use of an active preamp (e.g. The Isabella!  :wink:) or passive preamp before it.  There will be an option for higher gain (32dB... great for use with passive preamps or for the version with the built-in passive stepped attenuator volume control) and lower gain (24dB... great for those who are using active preamps with a lot of gain, or for those who have high-efficiency speakers and don't need as much gain).

Upgrade options for Signature 70 owners to convert to the Signature 70.2

I consider it very important to offer upgrade options to all my loyal Signature 70 customers.  This way, they will not be forced to sell their Signature 70 in order to obtain a Signature 70.2.  I also realize that for some, the only upgrade to their Signature 70 that they are interested in is obtaining the new Signature 70.2 sound, OR, they just do not have the budget to go "all-the-way" at this time to a Signature 70.2.  As a result, I am offering two upgrade options for Signature 70 customers (no matter if you purchased your Signature 70 from Red Wine Audio, a Red Wine Audio dealer, or on the used market).

1) “The Partial Upgrade” – This will consist of performing ALL of the changes to the amplifier board to convert it to the new Signature 70.2 amplifier, as well as the new hard-wiring of the speaker outputs directly to the point-to-point wired new output filter components.  This upgrade also includes the installation of the new input signal capacitor.  After this upgrade, your Signature 70 will sound identical to the new Signature 70.2.  This upgrade service will cost $1000 per pair (both monoblocks)  + return shipping

2) “The Complete Upgrade” – This consists of the following:

a) New front and rear panel installation along with the posts, jacks, etc.
b) SMART module installation
c) Amplifier board upgrades

After The Complete Upgrade, your Signature 70 units will be fully converted to the Signature 70.2… They will look identical, sound identical, and have identical features.  This upgrade service will cost $2000.00/pair (both monoblocks) + return shipping.

Replacement of batteries -- With either upgrade package listed above, we will also offer you the option of having your batteries replaced.  Add $75.

Availability of the new Signature 70.2 and upgrade services

1) We anticipate the start production of the Signature 70.2 in mid-October of this year.  Please keep in mind that there is always the chance of delays in getting parts from our vendors, but even if there was an unexpected delay, it should not be substantial. 

2) Regarding upgrades, the Partial Upgrade is AVAILABLE NOW.  The Complete Upgrade will not be available until the time we going into production of the Signature 70.2 (see above).

Thanks again,

Vinnie Rossi

PS: Pictures coming soon!
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2007, 02:34 pm by Vinnie R. »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
UPDATE:

I have all the parts in stock to perform the "Partial Update" on Signature 70 units. :hyper:

Now is a great time to send in your Signature 70 Monoblocks if you are interested inthis upgrade, as production of the Signature 70.2 as well as the "Full Upgrade" service to Signature 70s in on schedule for mid-October and this will affect lead-times for the upgrade. 

Right now, my turn-around time for the partial upgrade is approx. only 1 week!  8)   

Thanks again,

Vinnie

borelek

• Best regards. serge
Really impressive as an announcement Vinnie !
as two announcements I mean, the 30.2 is very great as well !
Looking forward "The Isabella".

all the best Vinnie

serge

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Really impressive as an announcement Vinnie !
as two announcements I mean, the 30.2 is very great as well !
Looking forward "The Isabella".

all the best Vinnie

serge

Hi Serge,

Thanks for your post!

Details of the Isabella are coming soon.  :wink:

Best regards,

Vinnie

Bucky

ok ok we know 70.2 is monoblock version of 30.2..:)  where are the isabella details?  this is what we all want to see!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
ok ok we know 70.2 is monoblock version of 30.2..:)  where are the isabella details?  this is what we all want to see!

Hi Bucky,

I'll be posting some Isabella details in the next few days. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
All,

UPDATE:

The Signature 70.2 monoblocks webpage is up:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/Signature_70.2.html

Enclosures are on order and should be here in a couple of weeks!  8)

Here is a link to the Sig 70 upgrade page for Sig 70 owners looking to upgrade to the 70.2: http://www.redwineaudio.com/Signature_70.html

Best regards,

Vinnie

Afterimage

Hello.  I just stumbled across this website while researching amps.  I just got the Mark and Daniels Ruby speakers, which demand a lot of power.  The 70.2 mono's sounds like something I might want to try, but it seems like it wouldn't be a match because they advise staying away from anything under 100 wts for the M&D Ruby's.  However, I know sometimes that can be misleading and amps with a high current but not high watts can drive power hungary speakers.   Any  input or opinions on if this might be a good match would be appreciated.  Thanks

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
Afterimage:

Have no fear about the Sig 70.2 being able to drive your Mark & Daniels  :nono:.
Srajan, at 6moons.com, used a 30.2 to drive his Mark & Daniels with no problems
at all. Its due to the SLA battery's high current output (I hope I got this right  :duh:).
So the 70.2 should be able to do it with aplomb aplenty  :green:.

nonoise

Afterimage

Re: The upcoming Signature 70.2 Monblocks! (long, and detailed)...
« Reply #10 on: 16 Dec 2007, 12:23 am »
nonoise, thank for the reply.   Didn't Srajan have to have a high gain preamp to make it work though?

nonoise

• A republic, if you can keep it.
« Reply #11 on: 16 Dec 2007, 07:56 pm »
Afterimage:

Sir, you are correct (think Ed McMahan to Johnny Carson)!
It may all boil down to room size so check with Vinnie.
I, myself, love the idea of having it all in one with an integrated
(I presently have the Sig 30) but if you can swing it,
the Isabella driving the 30.2 (as an amp only, no volume control saves $$)
may be the ticket.

nonoise

Afterimage

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2007, 09:05 pm »
Yeah, something to think about.  Right now I am using a modded Unison Unico SE Integrated.  It has plenty of power to drive the Rubys.  Plus I like that is has 4 inputs because I have a phono stage, cd, player, tv and dvd player going into it.  However, my curiuosity is getting the best of me so within the  next few months or so I may purchase the 70.2s as I really do not think (i'm just guessing) the 30.2s will be enough to make the Ruby's happy.  I know I can't afford the 70.2s plus the Isabella.  So if I decide on the 70.2s then I may see if I can use the Unico as a preamp or come up with another preamp like the cheaper Eastern Electric Mini Max.  The only thing I don't like about that preamp is no remote for volume.  I need that so I don't have to race out of my chair to turn it down while the wife is yelling at me :D.   oh well, choices, choices.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2007, 02:05 am »
The 70.2 mono's sounds like something I might want to try, but it seems like it wouldn't be a match because they advise staying away from anything under 100 wts for the M&D Ruby's.  However, I know sometimes that can be misleading and amps with a high current but not high watts can drive power hungary speakers.   Any  input or opinions on if this might be a good match would be appreciated.  Thanks

Hi Afterimage,

I apologize for the delay of my response:

When M&D says stay away from anything under 100 watts, this is a general guideline.  I have heard many amps rated at 100 watts per channel that fall apart at lower volumes than what the Signature 30.2 or 70.2 can offer.  Power rating can be very misleading.

Didn't Srajan have to have a high gain preamp to make it work though?

Adding a preamp will not give the Signature 30.2 or Signature 70.2 more output power.  Due to the fact that the M&D are not very efficient, you may or may not find that the Signature 30.2 (with built-in volume control) is loud enough with the M&D speakers at max volume.  The output voltage of your source is one variable.  If the volume is maxed-out and the amp is not clipping, you simply need more gain to drive the amp to max power and an active preamp
will give you more gain... again, only IF you need it.

as I really do not think (i'm just guessing) the 30.2s will be enough to make the Ruby's happy.

This really depends on how loud you like to play your music.  You might find that the 30.2 is all you need. 

FWIW, when the Isabella is out, I will be offering a discount to those who already own the Signature 30.2 or 70.2, or those who purchase the Isabella with either of these amplifiers.  More details will be posted when the time comes.  :wink:

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Vinnie

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2007, 02:15 am »
So if I decide on the 70.2s then I may see if I can use the Unico as a preamp or come up with another preamp like the cheaper Eastern Electric Mini Max.  The only thing I don't like about that preamp is no remote for volume.  I need that so I don't have to race out of my chair to turn it down while the wife is yelling at me :D.   oh well, choices, choices.

The nice thing about the minimax is that it retrains your wife not to yell at you, because you can pretend not to hear her, "Sorry dear, no mute button." ;)  Throw in some nice tubes and my little Minimax is quite a smile maker. But I am very interested to learn about and hear the Isabella too.
Rich

Afterimage

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2007, 01:33 pm »
Vinnie, thanks for your input.  Very much appreciated.   After thinking about it, I think I am going to get the Isabella, and the 70.2sa afterall.  My thinking is there is a very good chance they will work with the Ruby's and if they don't, that is okay because I have a second system and other pairs of speakers hanging around, the GMA Callisto and the the Amphion Xenon.  I'm sure the Isabella/Sigs will work great with one of those two.  Plus, if this preamp/amp combo is the real deal, it will probably save me money in the long run.  The hope is to get something so good that I will not feel the urge to try something new all the time, something I'm sure many audiophiles struggle with.  Plus, we get a 30d day trial period right?  So worst case scenerio I can send them back.   I know you are very busy, but any chance of Silver face plates in the next 6 months?  Thanks

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2007, 01:39 am »
The hope is to get something so good that I will not feel the urge to try something new all the time, something I'm sure many audiophiles struggle with.

Hi Afterimage,

This is the goal of the Isabella, especially when paired up with the Signature 30.2 or 70.2 monoblocks.

Plus, we get a 30d day trial period right?  So worst case scenerio I can send them back.

Absolutely!  No Signature 30.2s or Signature 70.2 have ever come back, and I highly doubt Isabellas will either!  :wink:

I know you are very busy, but any chance of Silver face plates in the next 6 months?

6 months is quite realistic.  My top priority is to release the Isabella and Isabella with optional built-in USB/optical/coax NOS DAC, as well as trying my best keep up with demand.  As I mentioned above, there will be "combo packages" with the Isabella and the RWA amps, and I will also be offering some sort of discount for those who purchase the Isabella and already own the 30.2 or 70.2 (or had their 30/70s fully upgraded).... so this is going to keep me extremely busy, but I WILL work on a silver faceplate design for my products after that!

Please let me know if you have any other questions,

Vinnie

Afterimage

« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2007, 01:23 pm »
Great!  When the Silvers are ready, I'm in.  Thanks for the updates and clarifying everthing.