Help me pick out a budget system

J

« on: 1 Sep 2003, 07:11 pm »
Hi , I would like to put together a cheap HT setup (2ch to start) for my father for b-day / Christmas to put in a little corner of a sun room . He has a 27inch tv and dvd player .

My plan is to purchase a new original sub (smaller would be too tall) and a new (or used amp) which one ? are any of the plate amps any good?

What is a good (durable) reciever for $3-4 hundred (do I have to spend that much?)

I'm shopping around for a cheap set of very small spaekers (VMPS don't fit the budget  :( ) are the wharefedales any good?(many close outs)

Bottom line, he knows what bass is (when I lived at home I had a HT system in the basement with two of my original VMPS subs and he still talks about 8 years later) He  can always upgrade to better speakers ( he's using my 17 ? year old fried betas and a 30+ year old fisher reciever in the living room.

thanks John

J

« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2003, 04:35 am »
45 views and no reply?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2003, 05:02 am »
Probably this isn't the best Circle to post in; this is a vendors circle for discussion of VMPS products.  You'd likely get some good input in either the HT/Cinema Circles or the 2 Ch Stereo cirle.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2003, 05:17 am »
Avoid plate amps, they generally are not good.  A bridged QSC or Crown amp will give plenty of power for the sub.

For small speakers, I think you'd have a hard time bettering the ceramic 4.0 from nOrh at $400/pair delivered.

J

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2003, 06:12 am »
thanks for the replies

I know this forum is is mostly about VMPS products but since I plan on purchasing another VMPS sub (I bought an orig sub around 85 and another around 90) I thought there may be some  best bang for the buck products that I could check out.

What would you compare the QSO 404's to if they were to fit into the budget.

John

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2003, 03:08 pm »
Hi John,

The VMPS 404 is no longer in production.

The nOhr that Tyson suggested would be a great speaker as well as a couple of the smaller Rocket models from AV123 (see their forum on this site)