room shaped like a "T"

EthanH

room shaped like a "T"
« on: 6 Sep 2007, 01:19 am »
I just moved into a "quaint" apartment in an old New England house with lots of weird trap doors, angles, slopes, and closets everywhere.  I have a new room that has an odd shape and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about setting up my system.  I didn't pack a measuring tape,  :oops: so I'd say the room is small to medium-sized (maybe around 18' at its longest with 8-8.5' ceilings).  It's proportions are pretty close to a rendering I did in paint, but I can't figure out how to attach it on here.  It has hardwood floors, two closets, and three windows.  The door at the top of the T leads to a deck, and the one at the bottom leads to the apartment.   

My speakers are Totem Arros so they can go pretty close to a rear wall.  I'm just not sure which end of the "T" I should place them in. :scratch:  Hopefully I'll be able to get a rug in there some time soon.

Below is a really poor attempt at illustrating what the room looks like.  W=window, D=door.  The door at the bottom right is the one that leads into the apartment, and all the doors are pretty solid and sturdy.

----W----W------D
I                         I
W                       I
---                 -D-
   I                 I
   I                 I
   I                 I
   I                 I
   D                D
   I                 I
   --------------

Again, sorry about my art skills :lol:; I made something a little nicer in paint but can't upload it. 
Any advice would be great.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: room shaped like a "T"
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2007, 04:16 am »
Can you at least ballpark the width of both ends of the room?

Bryan

EthanH

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2007, 11:10 am »
I'd ballpark the room's width at the top of "T" at around 15' and the bottom around 11'

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2007, 05:42 pm »
Hey cool - another Ethan! :green:

I'm just not sure which end of the "T" I should place them in. :scratch:

Either end is good. I'd set up at the window end, firing down toward the bottom of the drawing.

--Ethan