my new 2.1's with Mundorf upgrades

Bigfish

Re: my new 2.1's with Mundorf upgrades
« Reply #20 on: 21 Sep 2007, 04:04 am »
Jim:

I don't know if John (Black Sand Cable) plans to be a dealer for the Burson Buffer or not.  Here in the industry adds he advertised he had two Buffers for sale, one XLR version and one RCA Version.  John's add also indicates he has others for sale but not ready to sell them just yet.  Based on earlier threads here or at AN I know that John was interested in evaluating the Burson Buffer.  I traded PMs with him and with BPape earlier this week.  Both of them were very positive about the improvement the Burson Buffer provides to the sound from a Squeezebox.  Bryan has heard a stock as well as a version modified by Wayne and he said the modded unit definitely provides a further improvement over the stock unit.  Oh well, in the never ending chase for better sound I will have something further to want (mod the Burson Buffer).

The system is coming together and sounding better every time I listen to it.  Many thanks to you and others on AC for the all of the advice.

Ken

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 21 Sep 2007, 04:15 am »
Jim....

Recommending any kind of gear to someone with whom you've never listened is a crapshoot, even when it's something as amazing as SP Technology speakers.  Consequently, I'm *ALWAYS* thankful (and relieved) to get that kind of feedback!

Oh....its not that hard Jim. If someone is looking for a dynamic speaker....big sound stage....and clear as a bell sound (at any volume)....I'd say that person is a candidate for an SP Tech speaker...and should check them out.
 You agree....or can add to that... :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #22 on: 21 Sep 2007, 04:43 am »
Jim:

I don't know if John (Black Sand Cable) plans to be a dealer for the Burson Buffer or not.  Here in the industry adds he advertised he had two Buffers for sale, one XLR version and one RCA Version.  John's add also indicates he has others for sale but not ready to sell them just yet.  Based on earlier threads here or at AN I know that John was interested in evaluating the Burson Buffer.  I traded PMs with him and with BPape earlier this week.  Both of them were very positive about the improvement the Burson Buffer provides to the sound from a Squeezebox.  Bryan has heard a stock as well as a version modified by Wayne and he said the modded unit definitely provides a further improvement over the stock unit.  Oh well, in the never ending chase for better sound I will have something further to want (mod the Burson Buffer).

The system is coming together and sounding better every time I listen to it.  Many thanks to you and others on AC for the all of the advice.

Ken

I didn't notice the ad here, and I don't frequent AN any longer.

As for Wayne's modified version, I'm quite sure it improves on an already very good product.

Finally, regarding the advice, I'm happy to offer.  As long as you can avoid the temptation of listening to "he who shan't be named", you'll probably continue hearing improvement with each and every change/addition.  :wink:

Recommending any kind of gear to someone with whom you've never listened is a crapshoot, even when it's something as amazing as SP Technology speakers.  Consequently, I'm *ALWAYS* thankful (and relieved) to get that kind of feedback!

Oh....its not that hard Jim. If someone is looking for a dynamic speaker....big sound stage....and clear as a bell sound (at any volume)....I'd say that person is a candidate for an SP Tech speaker...and should check them out.
 You agree....or can add to that... :thumb:

True 'nuff, Chris, but to be honest, I think they bring more to the table than clarity, dynamics and soundstage nowadays.  Not to diminish the import of the aforementioned characteristics, but they've sure improved a lot in the past few years. 

Bob's been busy!  :D

Fed properly, and assuming the room is remotely decent... tell you what... I think I'll keep quiet until after the RMAF.  Rather than speculating, let's see what others think of them in the show-standard horrific conditions.  If they're as well-received as I suspect they might, big things are on the horizon for SP Tech IMHO.

Regardless of the Denver reception, the advent of Mundorf crossover parts and Bob's wire has potentially turned an already exceptional speaker into something truly extraordinary.  Time will tell, but the RMAF will be the first real test.  None of the speakers there will house Bob's best wire or the Silver/Gold Mundorf crossover parts, but what they do have should be sufficient to gauge the progress Bob's made...

Or hasn't!  :o

See you there!  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2007, 05:02 am »
Fed properly, and assuming the room is remotely decent... tell you what... I think I'll keep quiet until after the RMAF.  Rather than speculating, let's see what others think of them in the show-standard horrific conditions.
Fair enough.....

Do you happen to know the room number Jim ? Thanks..... :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:34 pm »
Fed properly, and assuming the room is remotely decent... tell you what... I think I'll keep quiet until after the RMAF.  Rather than speculating, let's see what others think of them in the show-standard horrific conditions.
Fair enough.....

Do you happen to know the room number Jim ? Thanks..... :thumb:

I only know that Dave Belles is using them, and that they may be in another room...or two.  :wink:

Dave's room for sure.

Double Ugly

« Reply #25 on: 21 Sep 2007, 03:02 pm »
*CHANGE ONE*

SP Technology will *NOT* be showing with Dave Belles (on the phone with Bob as I type).

For those interested, please standby for further updates.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #26 on: 21 Sep 2007, 04:58 pm »
Guys,

Yeah...looks like the Belles room is a "no go" for now.  Get this:  Dave doesn't like the Timepieces - too harsh and not enough detail or resolution - well, as compared to his own home-made speakers.  Hmmm...and they were the ones I discovered how well my new wires work in too - best TPs I ever heard.  I guess his speakers are 3-ways and use true, 4th-order electrical networks at both crossover frequencies.  I cringe to think what all that Group-Delay is doing to the poor waveforms.  Large amounts of G-D tend to "rip" waveforms apart and significantly lengthen waveform envelopes.  The audible effect is to soften the transient response and impact.  Maybe that's why his speakers sound "softer" than the TPs :roll:  I would suspect that over 4 times the G-D would tend to have that effect

The harshness has me puzzled knowing Dave's electronics.  We exhibited with his Reference 350 2 years ago in Vegas and it was very organic.  Maybe it has something to do with his front end? :scratch:  Not to start a major debate, but had I known before hand that he was spinning vinyl, I never would have gotten my hopes up. :duh:  In fact, I would have advised not using the TPs altogether. 

I know there's a million vinyl lovers out there, so I'm not saying this to start anything, but... from an engineering standpoint... if you're a vinyl lover you really don't want to know the ugly details of the entire vinyl recording and playback chain.  It's fraught with so many hazards and potential for distortion at every stage, that it's a real tribute to Edison that it sounded as good as it did and lasted as long as it has.  Maybe that's why they invented the CD in the first place?  Nah.

If you guys like it though, that's cool...there is no "right or wrong" as this is all just a hobby.  All I have to say (and I will not be dragged into a debate or respond to any comments made in contest to my opinion) is that I don't recommend SP Tech product for use with vinyl.  I truly believe the marriage would most likely produce homely children. :lol: 

If there are those of you that have our stuff and use vinyl, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.  Hey...who knows?  Maybe in the end Dave's speakers are better?  If that's the case, he needs to come out with a speaker line too.  I'd really like to hear that! :bounce:

-Bob

PS.  I'm still going to RMAF - see you guys there! :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep 2007, 05:12 pm »
Where did that come from? I am amazed - I have never heard a less harsh or higher resolution loudspeaker!
I was wondering about the Belles 350A ref that is currently for sale here, but this has me thinking again!

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:24 pm »
It surprised me, too, Russell.  It was Dave's amps that were attached to the Revelations the first time I heard them, and as I'm sure most everyone knows by now, I was blown away...in a *GOOD* way.  And I wasn't alone (search back through posts referencing the 2004 RMAF).

Confusing?  More like mind-boggling IMHO. :scratch:

But hey...I agree with Bob.  If Dave really believes his homemade 3-ways are more detailed and resolving than Bob's Timepieces, he's in the wrong business.  I mean that seriously.  If they're that good, there's a veritable *MINT* to be made in the recording industry.  :o

brj

« Reply #29 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:31 pm »
Quote from: SP Pres

I thought you weren't going to make it - glad to see I was wrong!  :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #30 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:34 pm »
Quote from: SP Pres

I thought you weren't going to make it - glad to see I was wrong!  :thumb:

Yeah, Bob and I will likely be hanging together, going from room to room searching for highly resolving and revealing homemade 3-ways he can copy and sell.  :wink:

brj

« Reply #31 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:37 pm »
Now, now DU... play nice! :lol:

topround

« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:53 pm »
DU,
can I join you guys in the search!! :thumb:
Buy you a beer friday nite!

mike

topround

« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:58 pm »
Hey if no Belles 350 A , maybe the McCormack DNA 500, that's a combo I would love to hear!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2007, 07:09 pm »
Me, too! :drool:
Maybe Steve McCormack can lend you one in return for a great price on a pair of Revelations, which he apparently wants.

Or, so you can have something for development and for shows, you should own a DNA 500, Bob. You could swap with Steve, with a little cash adjustment.

topround

« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2007, 07:11 pm »
Sure :beer:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2007, 09:00 pm »
Hmmmmm....Revelations and McCormack DNA-500's......hmmmm...why didn't I think of that.  :wink: :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2007, 09:33 pm »
Now, now DU... play nice! :lol:

Nah...nothing genuinely mean-spirited intended from these quarters, Brian.  Just having a little fun with Dave. 

Fact is, Dave is one of the nicest, most personable gentlemen with whom I've had the pleasure of speaking, in or out of the industry.  I'm disappointed in the way things have turned out, but it is what it is. :|

DU,
can I join you guys in the search!! :thumb:
Buy you a beer friday nite!

mike

You bet, Mike!  :D

We'll be pretty hard to spot, though, since we'll be wearing clothing specifically designed to make us each appear to be a single Wilson MAXX speaker when standing still (works particularly well when working in pairs :thumb:). 

Our ski masks may help clue you in to our presence, or perhaps the suspicious-looking black shoulder bags with the forward-facing compartment ever-so-slightly (but sufficiently) unzipped.  :wink:

Hmmmmm....Revelations and McCormack DNA-500's......hmmmm...why didn't I think of that.  :wink: :thumb:

Why not, indeed!  :thumb:

reefrus

« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2007, 11:55 pm »

I had a chance to try a Pair of Belles 150A Ref. Parasound JC-1 and McCormack DNA-500 for the past 3yrs.
The best result on my Revelation II ( no Mundorf upgrade ) are a pair of Belles 350A Ref in Mono balanced operation.
I don't know why Dave Belles doesn't like the new TP/Mundorf with his amp? I'll find out soon since he's coming to Denver for the RMAF. :scratch:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #39 on: 22 Sep 2007, 02:01 am »
If you guys like it though, that's cool...there is no "right or wrong" as this is all just a hobby.  All I have to say (and I will not be dragged into a debate or respond to any comments made in contest to my opinion) is that I don't recommend SP Tech product for use with vinyl.  I truly believe the marriage would most likely produce homely children

Hey Bob, don't sell yourself short (don't take that the wrong way). While I don't know if the Mundorf X-over would make that much difference with vinyl, my experience with the Continuum was outstanding.

When I had these speakers, I was running a 100% tube system right down to the phono stage. There were quite a few people that had the oppurtunity to hear the setup and all of them fell in love with it.

Vinyl enthusiest make up a large portion of the audiophile community these days. Myself included. What you may not like about vinyl is what drives others to this format.

I loved the combination and I have never been marked as 'homely' :cry: