Affordable Audio Review of SqueezeBox ELPAC Power Supply

Wayne1

September issue of Affordable Audio

On Page 7 of the .pdf for the September issue, John Hoffman reviews the SB3 and compares a couple of ELPAC power supplies to the stock PS.

He has some very nice things to say about the stock SB3 and the uses of aftermarket power supplies.  :D

Now I just have to try to get him a modded SB, Ultimate PS and buffer to try in his system  :lol:
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2007, 10:17 pm by Wayne1 »

Wayne1

Re: Affordable Audio Review of SqueezeBox ELPAC Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2007, 04:32 pm »
ELPAC WM220 power supplies are still available, surplus, through E-Bay.

After mods, the WM220-1 and WM220-1950 are identical.

I just had a quick look on E-Bay under WM220 and I saw four for $10.00 each or less, before shipping. Even with shipping, that works out to about $20.00 for a large improvement to the sound of the SqueezeBox. The seller of these PS usually is willing to ship direct to me for mods to the PS.

They will finish up with a total cost of UNDER $175.00 for a modded PS with discrete HEXFred rectifiers, over 28,000 uF of total capacitance, including Black Gate, with a regulated 5 volt output.

Please read the article in Affordable Audio about the most cost effective upgrade to the SqueezeBox.

Upgrading the PS is the quickest way to improve the sound. Turnaround time is 48 hours from when the PS first arrives here in CO.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2007, 04:45 pm »
If running just the digital out, is the improvement as great as described here? I believe the reviewer was running the SB digital into his dac at first, just want to make sure I am reading it right.
Thanks  Z
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2007, 05:17 pm by zapper7 »

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2007, 05:06 pm »
In the Affordable Audio Article, John Hoffman is running his stock SB into a DAC.

"The Bolder Cable Company power supplies are a
must have for anyone requiring high quality digital
playback from their Squeezebox. The stock ELPAC
power supplies are quite good, but the Bolder
modifications unlock the true potential of the
Squeezebox.
"

"The Squeezebox is useful tool to anyone who
needs to interface a computer based music server
to an existing DAC. The combination of Squeezebox
with the Kukama DAC is capable of high-end
sound reproduction. The Squeezebox would be a
welcome addition to my system, provided I used
the Bolder modified power supply
"

Samuel Roberts at Positive Feedback had similar things to say about using the smaller modded ELPAC PS with a digital only, modded SB
Positve Feedback Review of BOLDER modded SB and ELPAC

The modded ELPAC will smooth out the harshness created by the stock, switching power supply. If you do decide to compare the two, please unplug the stock PS from the wall. The switching pulses continue to pollute the AC lines even if it is not connected to the SB, but is plugged into the wall.

zapper7

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2007, 05:18 pm »
Thanks Wayne, thats what I thought, to bad I can't get on eBay at work, will look for a unit when I get home. :thumb:

zapper7

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2007, 04:54 pm »
Hey Wayne,
I saw those ELPACs on eBay, how does the 5 pin there is on the low end get fitted or adapted to the SB3 plug? :scratch:
Thanks

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2007, 06:06 pm »
The DIN plug is cut off and the DC connector that fits into the SB is soldered in place.