Classic VMPS Brochures

refmedia

Classic VMPS Brochures
« on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:44 pm »
I recieved these original brochures when I purchased a set of the ST3's a while back. I have scanned these for your viewing pleasure  :o I happen to think these documents are pretty cool and the ST3's are tremendous speakers "classics" IMHO.
So if you have the any model in question or just classic VMPS speaks.... let's see it... post a pic.
Latest may be greatest but old school is cool. :thumb:

These are the ST3's

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Classic VMPS Brochures
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:59 pm »
These are the ST II ar/SE's (pic from 2003)

refmedia

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2007, 12:17 am »
I'm sure they sound great too! :green:

These are the ST II ar/SE's (pic from 2003)

« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2007, 03:13 pm by refmedia »

flintstone

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2007, 01:36 am »
My old Supertower/R

I still use um for home theater  :D

Dave

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2007, 02:54 am »
original vmps larger subs rock!  (i have two of these, updated w/megawoofers.)   :thumb:

doug s.

refmedia

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2007, 03:11 pm »
My old Supertower/R

I still use um for home theater  :D

Dave

These seem like they would also be good for rear channel duty with the top mounted tweeters!

refmedia

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2007, 03:13 pm »
original vmps larger subs rock!  (i have two of these, updated w/megawoofers.)   :thumb:

doug s.

I really like the vertical orientation makes for mirror image with two, unlike the new largers.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2007, 03:36 pm »

doug s.

I really like the vertical orientation makes for mirror image with two, unlike the new largers.
me too.  i think vmps should still offer the upright style for the larger sub.  their latest iteration uses only one 15" driver; i still think the upright configuration is best...

my subs will have to do until i can afford a pair of vmps' new vla - too spendy for me right now, even unpowered, as i would want mine...   :wink:

doug s.

flintstone

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2007, 05:03 pm »

doug s.

Yep...I've got a couple of the old "Tall Boys".....one like yours....and one smaller. Still driving them with my old Onkyo M-504.

Dave

refmedia

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2007, 05:09 pm »

doug s.

me too.  i think vmps should still offer the upright style for the larger sub.  their latest iteration uses only one 15" driver; i still think the upright configuration is best...

my subs will have to do until i can afford a pair of vmps' new vla - too spendy for me right now, even unpowered, as i would want mine...   :wink:

doug s.

The new VLA stuff looks awesome.... :drool: at some point gunna need to get my ears on these for sure!
No doubt the evolution and innovation at VMPS continues.
I would have to agree with the unpowered version too as amps seem to be evolving pretty fast these days. :wink:

refmedia

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2007, 05:18 pm »
The lineage in the VLA is very apparent with the slot loaded PR. aa

flintstone

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2007, 06:10 pm »

Ya, I'd love to have a pair in black that I could mate with my Apogee Duetta Signatures.  :drool:

Dave

Housteau

« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2007, 12:15 am »

Actually, the VLAs do not have a slot loaded PR.  Originally there was going to be a 12" in there, but after testing Brian decided to use twin 15" PR on the sides instead.

refmedia

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2007, 01:54 am »

Actually, the VLAs do not have a slot loaded PR.  Originally there was going to be a 12" in there, but after testing Brian decided to use twin 15" PR on the sides instead.

So the slot at the bottom does not have a PR... hmmmm :scratch: I did not know that, I'm sure they still sound great.

Housteau

Very LARGE Array
« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2007, 02:43 am »
When the VLA cabinets were manufactured, openings were made for two 15" PRs with the intention of just using one of them with the downward firing slot loaded 12" PR.  The twin 15" holes were originally there for symmetry to create mirrored pairs of VLAs using a single 15" and a slot loaded 12" PR.  When the cabinets finally arrived and were built up, Brian did some extensive testing and found that using the twin 15 inchers minus the 12 was the best way to go.  He is planning on releasing an official technical paper on the VLAs sometime soon.  Here is what Brian wrote in an earlier post:

"The VLA is a most unusual design in many ways.  I will post details at a later date.

I decided to emphasize speed, transient response, high sensitivity and output levels , and an inert cabinet over extension, which would have required much higher Q drivers and PR's.  System F3 is 28Hz, and I recommend 3 to 5 dB boost at 20Hz from the amp's parametric EQ to fill in the bottom half octave.  Positioning and setup are much accelerated in this approach, and the speaker should reach optimum performance in just a few hours of tweaking regardless of environment.

I can't imagine any VLA owner being less than thrilled with its performance."

« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2007, 05:56 pm by Housteau »

PLMONROE

« Reply #15 on: 2 Sep 2007, 05:39 pm »
Hummmmm! So if there is no slot loaded downfiring PR why is there a need for a base (with  or without a slot) for the speakers? Must be missing something. :scratch:

Housteau

« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2007, 05:53 pm »
Paul, I guess using the bases allows for the VLA to match the height of the RM-V60.  Then, it may also be beneficial for the drivers to be a certain height from the ground.  The next production run of bases will probably be made without the slot opening.  Who knows, with future driver changes the downward firing 12 may be added back into the equation.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 2 Sep 2007, 05:57 pm »

brian needs to update his website - it sez there's one active side-firing 15", & a passive down-facing 12"...   :scratch:

doug s.

Housteau

« Reply #18 on: 2 Sep 2007, 06:02 pm »
Yes.  It still reflects the original engineering intentions for the VLA before any were actually made and tested.
« Last Edit: 2 Sep 2007, 06:36 pm by Housteau »

keithl

« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2012, 02:51 am »
I recieved these original brochures when I purchased a set of the ST3's a while back. I have scanned these for your viewing pleasure  :o I happen to think these documents are pretty cool and the ST3's are tremendous speakers "classics" IMHO.
So if you have the any model in question or just classic VMPS speaks.... let's see it... post a pic.
Latest may be greatest but old school is cool. :thumb:

These are the ST3's

Any chance you still have the brochure for the Super Tower/R's?

Keith