A tale of two audio manufacturers

mikey300

« on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:15 pm »

Exhibit A: Odyssey Audio

I just ordered a new Candela pre-amp from Herr Klaus last night. As always the process with Klaus was insightful and a very positive experience.  I also have the Mono Extreme SEs so I am looking forward to the wonderful synergy between the two components. Very positive, great experience as always.  Additionally my upgrade path with the Mono Extreme SEs was great as well.  I had purchased a used Stereo Stratos on Audiogon and it turns out the person who I bought it from wasn't completely forthright on its entire history / story (B stock).  Regardless - Klaus still came through with a very generous trade in for my used amp which made the upgrade easier on the pocketbook. 

Exhibit B: Small audio company who shall remain nameless

One of the primary reasons that I was looking for a new pre-amp was because my old pre-amp died and I was not able to get ANY response back from the manufacturer of the DAC / pre-amp! No responses to phone calls or emails!  They are a one person shop.  Needless to say, this guy is the complete antithesis of Klaus / Odyssey Audio's customer focused / centric way of doing business.

These experiences have left no doubt in my mind how important and valuable it is to have an audio manufacturer that actually stands behind their products and are in business for the long haul.  The fact that Klaus is ready, willing and able to do that whilst delivering phenomenal products at incredibly reasonable prices is the icing on the cake for me.

Haoleb

Re: A tale of two audio manufacturers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2007, 01:43 am »
The small unnamed company wouldnt happen to be owned by a man whos initials are R.W. would it?

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2007, 02:26 am »
You are going to love your Candela. The bomb o preamps. FAst clean quiet, neutral and revealing... Very high quality parts.. A beauty to look at.
Mike

mikey300

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2007, 10:49 pm »
The small unnamed company wouldnt happen to be owned by a man whos initials are R.W. would it?

No it isn't them - not sure who that is.  Ironically the owner of the company in question did get back to me a few days ago with an offer to look at the DAC/preamp to see if he could fix it which I thought was very positive.  I had tried to reach him many times over the past few years so I was very surprised to finally get a response back.  I finally got a response by calling and chatting with his primary reseller who passed my information on to him.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Candela and see how she sounds. 

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2007, 01:05 am »
You are going to love the Candela with those Stratos Monos.  I have enjoyed that combination since receiving mine about 3 months ago.

Oh, dealing with Klaus was a great experience!

Ken

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2007, 09:02 pm »

No it isn't them - not sure who that is.  Ironically the owner of the company in question did get back to me a few days ago with an offer to look at the DAC/preamp to see if he could fix it which I thought was very positive.  I had tried to reach him many times over the past few years so I was very surprised to finally get a response back.  I finally got a response by calling and chatting with his primary reseller who passed my information on to him.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Candela and see how she sounds. 
There's a recent AC thread that contains information regarding feelings about the Candela and other preamps fared during a listening session. The first post that mentions the Candela starts here.