A/V-3 Build Question (Porting)

thrillseeker

A/V-3 Build Question (Porting)
« on: 31 Aug 2007, 05:40 pm »
Hi,

I am just starting the box building for a pair of A/V-3's (while I save up to order the kits) and I have a question or two about porting.  First, I think that I need to front port (or can one side port?) because I'm pretty sure I can only pull the speakers 6 to 8 inches off the wall; is this a reasonable assumption?  Second, I'm not a big fan of the rectangular port (aesthetic reasons) so I would prefer to have round ports.  When I do the area calculations based on the given dimensions for the rectangular ports and convert that to an equivalent area for round ports, it looks like I would need three three inch diameter ports (or one 5+ inch diameter port).  Am I missing something; that seems like an excessive number of ports considering that most speakers of this size use only one 3 or 4 inch port?  Finally, I know that the inside box dimensions are critical, but how variable can the outer box dimensions be?  For example, could my center channel (horizontal) enclosed area remain as designed, but the outer cabinet be 60 inches long and 15 inches deep (some sort of wall hung credenza)?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: A/V-3 Build Question (Porting)
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2007, 04:14 am »
First off the A/V-3 does not have what you typically think of as a port. It has a transmission line. The entire lower section of the box makes up the port. It also gets progressively smaller the further you get from the drivers. This is not possible with a round shaped port.

You can however, flip flop the plans to run the it out the front instead of the rear and in your case where you have only 6 to 8 inches of distance from the rear wall then I would run it out the front.

For a center channel version I would recommend the A/V-3S. It is a sealed box version and will work fine for a center channel.