You want something fabulous to put on the turntable?

Bill Epstein

I first came across Anita O'Day in the Newport '56 DVD. Instantly loved her unique style and phrasing.

Came across this album I'm playing at a record show last Saturday. Recorded in Japan in 1977 toward the end of her career.  The sound is kinda 'old-timey' mono even tho' not that old but clear and dynamic. Really great stand-up bass by George Morrow; Merrill Hoover on Piano and John Poole, Drums.

Beginning back in the '30's, she was known as an influence on jazz singers since.

Anita O'Day; Dobre Records 1014

WEEZ

Re: You want something fabulous to put on the turntable?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2007, 07:43 pm »
I really like Anita O'Day's style.

I have a Gene Krupa album, "The Essential" (Verve) on which she sings 'Let Me Off Uptown'.

WEEZ

JoshK

Re: You want something fabulous to put on the turntable?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2007, 04:35 am »
I have an LP that hantra sold to me of Monty Alexander live at the Montreaux Festival that is the the most real I've ever heard a system sound, so I know what good recordings can sound like. Unfortunately I have never had the same experience with CD and I am not a big format pusher.  I'll have to look for this LP if it is attainable. Mcrespo's copy of Steiner's Sheherezade on RCA half speed was spectacular too but it's not a cheap disk to obtain.