What's next for the digital guys at Bryston?

mv038856

What's next for the digital guys at Bryston?
« on: 28 Aug 2007, 07:52 pm »
Hi James!

I was wondering what project your digital guys are working on next...

- external DAC
- HDMI 1.3 and HD audio formats für SP-2 (e.g. external HDMI-splitter and proprietary audio link to the DAE-5)
- SACD-Player
- software enhancements to the cd-player
- software enhancements/new features to the SP-2 (e.g. parametric bass EQ)

or anything else?

Thanks and forgive me my curiosity...  :wink:

Markus

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: What's next for the digital guys at Bryston?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2007, 10:11 pm »
Hi James!

I was wondering what project your digital guys are working on next...

- external DAC
- HDMI 1.3 and HD audio formats für SP-2 (e.g. external HDMI-splitter and proprietary audio link to the DAE-5)
- SACD-Player
- software enhancements to the cd-player
- software enhancements/new features to the SP-2 (e.g. parametric bass EQ)

or anything else?

Thanks and forgive me my curiosity...  :wink:

Markus

Hi Markus,

Currently working on the outboard DAC.
Then the Separate CD Drive
Then the new Digital HD systems when chips become available.

Been a couple of CD software updates over the past month based on customer feedback.
Introducing some Class D Zone amplifiers in the next few months for Custom Install market.

james

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2007, 10:33 pm »
James,
I'm not trying to be combative, but I do remember an article that Bryston put out in their newsletter a while back that cited the inferiority of class D and gave the impression that Bryston would not be producing class D amps due to their inherent problems.  In other words, at the time, don't buy class D from the other guys.  We won't produce these amps at Bryston, but now, you'll be selling class D amps.
Is this hypocritical, or, what changed?
Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2007, 11:25 pm »
James,
I'm not trying to be combative, but I do remember an article that Bryston put out in their newsletter a while back that cited the inferiority of class D and gave the impression that Bryston would not be producing class D amps due to their inherent problems.  In other words, at the time, don't buy class D from the other guys.  We won't produce these amps at Bryston, but now, you'll be selling class D amps.
Is this hypocritical, or, what changed?
Bill

Hi Bill,

I always seem to get beat-up about that article but in reality the purpose of the newsletters were to promote discussion about Class D.  The problem I saw at the time was Class D was being reported as if it was the 'holy grail' of amplifier design.

If you want the most accurate amplifier available then we feel that what we are currently building in the SST Series is the correct approach.

The Class D designs have improved but that's another subject.

The install Zone market though is another matter and we feel Class D has a place in that market. Low weight, low power consumption, high efficiency, etc. 

james

« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2007, 11:56 pm by James Tanner »

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2007, 12:11 am »
Thanks James,
I appreciate your answer.  I took note of that article, because you quoted Dan Anagnos at the time.  Dan designed the Sony SS M9ES and the mighty SS M9ED speakers.  I own them both although only listen to the ED's.  The ES's are boxed up looking for a buyer after I purchased the ED's.  Both awesome speakers, and the ED is truly reference level.
I have owned Bryston amps in the past and now own Theta Enterprise monos.
Bryston has excellent products.
Bill

carlvdh

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2007, 07:13 am »
Hi James,

Could you give some more information on the software updates for the cd-player? Great that you quickly respond to feedback you receive from customers. What was the feedback and what did the updates change or improve? Are there updates made general available?

Thanks, regards,
Carl

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2007, 09:01 am »
Hi James,

Could you give some more information on the software updates for the cd-player? Great that you quickly respond to feedback you receive from customers. What was the feedback and what did the updates change or improve? Are there updates made general available?

Thanks, regards,
Carl

Hi Carl,

We implemented a Fast Forward and Fast Rewind mode, we allowed for much faster access time when choosing the track to play when inserting the CD, we changed a few of the button assignments.

The latest software is dated Aug 8th 2007 -you will see the date when you first turn the CD Player on.

The upgrade software is available from us as a downloadable file (see page 3 of the CD manual) -just need the Serial number and the Dealer purchased from to authorize the software.

james

ian.ameline

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2007, 06:54 pm »
James,

Any news on the outboard DAC? I'm definitely interested in buying one -- I assume it will run off the MPS-2?

How many of each sort of input will it have?

Will switching between the inputs be based on a mechanical knob (like my BP25) or relay/electronic? (I don't really have a strong preference -- but I do lean towards low tech when it works well, and has been proven to last.)

Will it have your usual 20 year warranty? (Please say yes -- I can justify purchasing at your prices only if I know that the product is bulletproof.)

And lastly,

When can I get my hands on one? :-)

Cheers,
Ian.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2007, 07:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  There should be posts already on the inputs it is currently expected to have which by memory include the usual digital ones and a USB.  Bryston's warranty has been discussed at length in various threads and is clarified on their website.  Digital circuits on their other stuff now carry a 5 yr. warranty.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2007, 08:07 pm »
James,

Any news on the outboard DAC? I'm definitely interested in buying one -- I assume it will run off the MPS-2?

How many of each sort of input will it have?

Will switching between the inputs be based on a mechanical knob (like my BP25) or relay/electronic? (I don't really have a strong preference -- but I do lean towards low tech when it works well, and has been proven to last.)

Will it have your usual 20 year warranty? (Please say yes -- I can justify purchasing at your prices only if I know that the product is bulletproof.)

And lastly,

When can I get my hands on one? :-)

Cheers,
Ian.

Hi Ian,

Yes welcome.

We are still working on it but so far we have a prototype of our new Outboard DAC which is being assembled in the next month or so.

As Phil says it will have USB, AES-EUB, COAX and Optical. We will use the same type of relay switching (remote capable) as on our CD Player.

We will offer it with a dual transformer internal power supply rather than the MPS-2.

Being a Digital problem the warranty will be 5 years.

james

ian.ameline

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2007, 09:10 pm »
Thanks for the information James.

A couple more questions;

- What is the form factor? (I'm hoping 1U)
- Does it have balanced analog out (xlr)?

I suppose it can't hurt to ask (and I'll understand if you can't answer) roughly what price point are you looking at?

I want to make sure I have the money set aside this fall :-)

Thanks again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2007, 09:17 pm »
Thanks for the information James.

A couple more questions;

- What is the form factor? (I'm hoping 1U)
- Does it have balanced analog out (xlr)?

I suppose it can't hurt to ask (and I'll understand if you can't answer) roughly what price point are you looking at?

I want to make sure I have the money set aside this fall :-)

Thanks again.

Hi,

So far 1U
Yes analog single ended and balanced out
Around $2000

james

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2007, 05:18 pm »
James, a friend of mine who is a big Bryston fan (was with me when I bought the CD player a few weeks back wanted to know this about the DAC (I sent him your comments above as he might be interested):

"If they're still taking requests, digital-domain phase inversion would be a nice feature to have (especially via remote)"

So if you could check on that I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks, Phil

jethro

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2007, 08:22 pm »
Is the approximate $2000 price in CDN funds ?

Any idea if the USB interface will support Linux ?

Thanks, Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2007, 03:05 pm »
Hi Guys,

Spoke with Dan and see below his answers to the above 2 questions.

James,

1. Phase inverting in the digital domain is very easy to do, just a matter of adding a remote code,

2. We haven't tested the USB interface on a Linux system yet, but in theory it is supported.

DM