Piccolo, Piccolo, Piccolo-o-o-o-o (PIC)

Bill Epstein

Piccolo, Piccolo, Piccolo-o-o-o-o (PIC)
« on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:44 pm »

Another Piccolo comes to life.

After fussing with the teeny-tiny number labels I didn't have the patience to re-wire the Cornet for direct in so I'm listening to another phono pre with adjustable loading and gain using the 40db and 50k settings.

I also borrowed a Denon DL-103 to see how the Piccolo handled a lower output cart than my Micro-Ace L.

There's zero hum; so quiet at first I thought it wouldn't play. The turntable is grounded to the Piccolo and the phono pre just the RCA grounds with the unit on the TT shelf up and away from the pre. I bumped up the gain on the pre to listen for hum at overload. Nothing.

The box has the full copper-lined treatment and I used Vishay-Dale resistors for the gain and loading positions.

I don't have time just now to put it through it's paces but I'm hearing the mid-range of the Denon I'm familiar with as well as the character of the phono pre. IOW, the Piccolo has no sound of it's own, at least on first listen. Can't wait for my day-off tomorrow to give a serious listen. Gotta try it with batteries, too.

Jim just keeps turning 'em out.  :thumb:

ecir38

Re: Piccolo, Piccolo, Piccolo-o-o-o-o (PIC)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2007, 03:10 pm »
Looks great and nice writeup, let us know what you think after you get some more playing time.

What series vishay/dale resistors did you use? Type RN?

Bill Epstein

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2007, 01:42 am »
Would you believe the labels are the second go-around? I thought they were reasonably level until I saw the pic. Yikes!

The Dales are indeed RNs.

ecir38

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2007, 02:25 am »
Thanks, I noticed that the Yageo resistors are a little smaller than the Vishay/Dale RN series, did you have any problem getting them in.

Didn't notice the labels till you said something. This is one of the hardest things I am trying to find a solution for when the time comes.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2007, 03:09 am by ecir38 »

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2007, 10:53 am »
Nice box. Where did you get that?

Bill Epstein

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2007, 12:23 pm »
Nice box

Just a Hammond steel 4x6 sprayed with the no-brainer Rustoleum hammered copper.

I noticed that the Yageo resistors are a little smaller than the Vishay/Dale RN series, did you have any problem getting them in.

I had to go vertical a bit with the Dales.

analog97

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2007, 03:00 pm »
Bill, what a beautiful case.  Mine looks like a distant 46th to yours.  Coupla questions:
1. Does the copper lining make a difference and where can you get this?  Could aluminum foil be used?
2. I noticed you have no screws on top.  IOW, you did a smart thing!!  Maybe I misread the directions. 

I think I have another case to build in my future.  Awaiting JH's headphone amp, then will do it.  Again, very nice build!!

Bill Epstein

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2007, 06:46 pm »
Does the copper lining make a difference and where can you get this?

As I mentioned RE: my Cornet re-build I no longer have RF problems. It's not so much that I mind radio stations but why do I hafta always get the same durned one?  :lol:

The 33ga. foil I got at the local craft shop and hold it in place with Microsorb sticky damping sheets from Michael Percy. I only use aluminum foil to keep the aliens from stealing my brainwaves.  :wink:

I noticed you have no screws on top

I only have the switches, DC jack and ground screw holding the board in place. I ignored the 4 screw holes. Don't seem to need more but they couldn't hurt.

amandarae

« Reply #8 on: 29 Aug 2007, 08:16 pm »
Hello Bill,

Very nice build you have there!!

Mine, cosmetic wise, is the antithesis of what you have there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But it works so I am happy!

regards,

Abe

Tung Sol 6550

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2007, 01:24 am »
Hello-

I know this is OT, but how did you get the nice hammertone finish?  When I use the Rustoleum, I get texture, but nothing like that.  Do you spray it on heavily?  I follow the label directions and spray a couple of light coats at a time, but the result looks nothing like yours.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Donovan

Bill Epstein

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2007, 02:22 am »
If you've never seen how wet a coat a pro sprayer puts on you won't get the most out of a spray can.

A few mist coats at first and wait a quarter hour. But then, and only for horizontal surfaces, go a little more slowly on each pass and really wet the surface first one way and then again right away at right angles. Don't over do it, of course. Practice will tell. Lacquer is all about build-up.

Tung Sol 6550

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2007, 04:02 am »
Hello Bill-

OK, I'll give it a shot.  I notice that you are using my new favorite cart, the Benz Ace Low.  I bought the mono version, and then bought the stereo.  I have them mounted in headshells for my Graham Robin.  Very nice sounding in my system.

Best,
Dan

AudioSoul

« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2007, 05:36 pm »

Has anyone built the Piccolo with the inputs and outputs on the ends? So there arent cables sticking out every where. That wats stoping from betting this kit......thanks......DK :oops:

ecir38

« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2007, 07:07 pm »
Hang tight, i'm a few days from posting pics of mine that will be like this.

AudioSoul

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2007, 05:22 am »

COOOOOOOL ! :drool: