Cutting of threaded rod?

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
Cutting of threaded rod?
« on: 29 Aug 2003, 04:54 pm »
Hey all,

I have a steel threaded rod of approx 5/8" diameter that I need cut about 2" shorter.  What type of tooling does this require, and where would be my best bet to have this completed?  Also, any estimates to cost would be welcome.

Thanks

Rup

jackman

Cutting of threaded rod?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2003, 04:59 pm »
If you don't need it threaded to a point, you can just get a good hacksaw with a carbide blade or diamond tip blade suitable for cutting steel.  It's probably not hardened steel and will not be too hard to cut.  If you need threaded, I'd call a couple machine shops.  

If you cut with hacksaw, just get some plastic caps to cover the ends with to avoid hurting your floors.  The kind you put over chair legs should work fine.  Also, if you buy the rods from a store, they may have the ability to cut them for you.  If all else fails, just ask any of the numerous bike thieves in NYC.  They can cut through metal in a matter of seconds (granted, neatness is not usually a consideration).

J

Carlman

Dremel it
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2003, 05:25 pm »
If you use a carbide wheel on a Dremel tool, it leaves a nice finish and cuts very well.  I'd secure the rod by putting several nuts on it and then putting the nuts in a vice.  Sounds painful but, it worked for me.

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
Cutting of threaded rod?
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2003, 05:27 pm »
jman - thanks for the quick help.   What if it is hardened steel - the rod is from a Salamander 3.0, and I believe it might be due to the weight supported by these racks.

Thanks again.

Rup

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
Cutting of threaded rod?
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2003, 05:28 pm »
Carlman, thank you for the suggestion.  Sounds like a simple, elegant solution.

Regards,

Rup

jackman

Cutting of threaded rod?
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2003, 05:35 pm »
Roop,

I'm pretty sure a carbide or diamond tip will easily cut through hardened steel.  Ask any bike thief!  After you ask, make sure to club his head in with a baseball bat (my bike was stolen a couple years ago!).  Seriously, just ask the guys at a decent hardware store to sell you a blade that will cut through hardened steel.  You shouldn't have much trouble.  

J