Anyone here go from single Titan to stereo Force ?

Nils

Anyone here go from single Titan to stereo Force ?
« on: 24 Aug 2007, 05:40 pm »
I'm considering replacing my single Titan II LE with a pair of Force XL subwoofers as my next upgrade.  I have Magnepan 3.6Rs driven by Bryston 7B-SST monoblocks, an extremely transient setup.  I'd like to hear what people who've gone the stereo sub route can say about stereo Force subwoofers vs. a single Titan.  I would expect, after what I would expect to be a trickier setup, a more even in-room response and more speed (10" cones vs. 12").

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Nils

Lkdog

Re: Anyone here go from single Titan to stereo Force ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2007, 06:28 am »
I might be of some help here.
I had one Titan (earlier version than yours but similar with slightly less output at lowest octave according to reviews).
Was happy. Very nice sub.
I then picked up a second Titan of same vintage (97-01).

Liked this very much and setup was easier in some ways as dual subs do a lot of positive things in a room.

Then ran across the dual LFM SE's which were essentially originally made to match my ACI Jaguar monitors.
These each have two 10" drivers (same as Force drivers) and are equal to 4 Forces or allegedly a couple of typical 15" subs.

At first I was a little unsure about the switch. They were faster as you note.
They were not as weighty as two Titans at first.
After about a week, they broke in one night and they are now excellent in every way -weight/extension/speed/transition with the monitors/soundstage.

If you are looking for more bass weight in your room, depending upon room size then two Forces will give you more of that. These 10" drivers are quick and two of them will give you more output than one 12" Titan, but if the room is large it might not seem like a real lot.
Now if your room is moderate sized (say 12'X18) then you will get a lot more impact and speed and I think be very pleased with two Forces.
If you have a larger room (say 15'X30 with high ceilings) then the impact and weight would be an improvement, but depending upon your tastes may not be enough.
If your goal is speed and even response-then two Forces will be great in almost any room is my guess.

What am I saying?

Get four Forces.  :D

Just kidding.

I think there is a pro review somewhere and the guy got two Forces if I recall and loved it.

I have a pretty large room (15X25 and it goes to 18' wide in back part) so I love the four 10" drivers.

You might also consider one Maestro or a second Titan also. I am guessing your newer vintage Titan is pretty quick as it is and the lowpass cutoffs allow nice setup.

I will say that dual subs is a great way to go in my opinion, but I love bass and ACI does it right.

Here is a thread on my setup with pictures.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=44090.0

Good Luck.

jkscherk

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2007, 12:49 pm »
I actually went the other direction.  I had twin Force subs and went to a single Maestro.  I had my concerns about where I would give up speed and accuracy, but I can say now that my concern was misdirected.  I'm amazed at how tight and fast the bass is with a sub as big as the Maestro.  If have the room, you might consider that option as Eric suggests too.

Since that switch I went one step further and now have the Jags with LFMs running as my mains and the Maestro fills in the bottom.  All I can say is WOW!

DR

• The Man
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2007, 12:18 am »
Having owned the Titan, Vandersteen 2ce's and B & W Nautilus 805's in a rather large room, I would just buy a second Titan.

bone215

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2007, 01:53 pm »
I would be interested in the outcome of your investigation as I might be interested in your titan if you decide to sell it.
Thanks.