Piccolo vedict

analog97

Piccolo vedict
« on: 23 Aug 2007, 11:45 pm »
I have now logged a hundred hours on JH's Piccolo.  My original build attempt went awry because I screwed up about 8 resistors.  My fault entirely.  Anyway, thanks to Jim for seeing me through the repairs.  Verdict:

1.  The Piccolo is damn quiet!  I have chosen to run it at 26db gain for my Denon 103.  Why?  Because it's so damn quiet!!
2.  The Piccolo is transparent as heck.  Not there at all.  That's the way it should behave.  It passes thru all the audio frequencies plenty fine and dandy.
3.  Compared to my Denon 10x SUT, the Piccolo solved a hum problem that I have been mildly wrestling with for a couple years.  I am thankful for that.
4.  The Piccolo needed to be placed about 8 inches away from the Cornet2 because it was affected by some noise/hum (I suspect that 370BX tranny was the culprit).
5.  Caution: do not change gain/loading with the power on....big pops can result.
6.  The Piccolo is quiet as heck, neutral, pretty with that blue LED and really can turbo-charge low-out MC users with that 26db gain!  I am not returning it ( nor any other Hagtech design I have (6?). 
7.  PS: The Cornet2 is, by far, the biggest advance I have made in my system. Wow.  What a beautiful design.

Plink

Re: Piccolo vedict
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2007, 05:44 am »
Nice to hear.  Thanks for the post.

amandarae

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2007, 03:08 pm »
I have now logged a hundred hours on JH's Piccolo.  My original build attempt went awry because I screwed up about 8 resistors.  My fault entirely.  Anyway, thanks to Jim for seeing me through the repairs.  Verdict:

1.  The Piccolo is damn quiet!  I have chosen to run it at 26db gain for my Denon 103.  Why?  Because it's so damn quiet!!
2.  The Piccolo is transparent as heck.  Not there at all.  That's the way it should behave.  It passes thru all the audio frequencies plenty fine and dandy.
3.  Compared to my Denon 10x SUT, the Piccolo solved a hum problem that I have been mildly wrestling with for a couple years.  I am thankful for that.
4.  The Piccolo needed to be placed about 8 inches away from the Cornet2 because it was affected by some noise/hum (I suspect that 370BX tranny was the culprit).
5.  Caution: do not change gain/loading with the power on....big pops can result.
6.  The Piccolo is quiet as heck, neutral, pretty with that blue LED and really can turbo-charge low-out MC users with that 26db gain!  I am not returning it ( nor any other Hagtech design I have (6?). 
7.  PS: The Cornet2 is, by far, the biggest advance I have made in my system. Wow.  What a beautiful design.

Thanks for sharing!  I have been using my Piccolo on a Thorens TD 124 and I am very happy as well.  I do not have an issue when changing loading on the fly, as I am playing an LP, but have discovered like you that I cannot do this for the Gain or else a very loud thump can be heard.

For some reason, i found the Piccolo in my system sounds better when I use an MC cartridge with 0.6 mV or higher.   

regards,

Abe
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2007, 12:23 am by amandarae »

analog97

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2007, 11:52 pm »
Abe,

Yes, i misspoke somewhat.  The "pops" only occurred when changing gain.  It's a minor point.  The Piccolo is going to be in my system until I hear something better.  PS:  That turntable in your picture is most impressive.  I have heard of those....Teres???  Let me know when you need a buyer!!

amandarae

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2007, 12:16 am »
Abe,

Yes, i misspoke somewhat.  The "pops" only occurred when changing gain.  It's a minor point.  The Piccolo is going to be in my system until I hear something better.  PS:  That turntable in your picture is most impressive.  I have heard of those....Teres???  Let me know when you need a buyer!!

Which one?

Just kidding!  Yeah that is the Teres on the avatar.  I love it!!!  All the tables on the above pic are "labor of love" per se and I am fortunate to own them.

As for the Piccolo, I use it with my TD124 MKI as I mentioned and I am very fond of it paired with that specific table.

regards,

Abe

analog97

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2007, 12:43 am »
Whoooo!!  Four tables?  That must break some law, somewhere.  I have the Rega P3/2000, Denon 103, Cornet2, Clarinet, Piccolo, Parasound amp (I broke my big Anthem) driving the Polk SDA 1.2TL's.  These speakers are really awesome if you are not aware.  I can't figure out how to post a picture or I'd show 'ya.  I'm a vinyl addict as you apparently.  Although I have managed to constrain my madness to just one table....Larry

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2007, 01:13 am »
Abe,

Which one?

Just kidding!  Yeah that is the Teres on the avatar.  I love it!!!  All the tables on the above pic are "labor of love" per se and I am fortunate to own them.

As for the Piccolo, I use it with my TD124 MKI as I mentioned and I am very fond of it paired with that specific table.

regards,

Abe

Are those Orion's?  If they are, how do you like them, and what are you using for amp(s)? Sorry for going off topic on this thread.

Thanx,
JCarney

amandarae

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2007, 01:21 am »
Whoooo!!  Four tables?  That must break some law, somewhere.  I have the Rega P3/2000, Denon 103, Cornet2, Clarinet, Piccolo, Parasound amp (I broke my big Anthem) driving the Polk SDA 1.2TL's.  These speakers are really awesome if you are not aware.  I can't figure out how to post a picture or I'd show 'ya.  I'm a vinyl addict as you apparently.  Although I have managed to constrain my madness to just one table....Larry

Hello Larry,

I am familiar with the 1.2TL's.  Those are nice speakers!

regards,

Abe

amandarae

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2007, 01:23 am »
Abe,

Which one?

regards,

Abe

Are those Orion's?  If they are, how do you like them, and what are you using for amp(s)? Sorry for going off topic on this thread.

Thanx,
JCarney

Yes, they are the Orions.  Orion Plus now since November 2006.  I am using the 12 channel ATI 6012 amp.  The speakers puts an end to my speaker merry-go-round trip!  Let me see, Martin Logan Aerius, Martin Logan Aeon, Martin Logan Ascents, Magnepan 1.6 Qr, Magnepan 1.6QR heavily modified, and some Single Driver designs as well as vintage speakers like Bozak (Rhapsody and Odyssey?) etc.

regards,

Abe

JCarney

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2007, 02:02 am »
"Yes, they are the Orions.  Orion Plus now since November 2006.  I am using the 12 channel ATI 6012 amp.  The speakers puts an end to my speaker merry-go-round trip!  Let me see, Martin Logan Aerius, Martin Logan Aeon, Martin Logan Ascents, Magnepan 1.6 Qr, Magnepan 1.6QR heavily modified, and some Single Driver designs as well as vintage speakers like Bozak (Rhapsody and Odyssey?) etc.

regards,

Abe"

Thanks for responding. Me and a friend of mine have talked about these, but have never heard them. Glad ya like em. What is the "Plus"?

JCarney

amandarae

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2007, 05:19 am »
"Yes, they are the Orions.  Orion Plus now since November 2006.  I am using the 12 channel ATI 6012 amp.  The speakers puts an end to my speaker merry-go-round trip!  Let me see, Martin Logan Aerius, Martin Logan Aeon, Martin Logan Ascents, Magnepan 1.6 Qr, Magnepan 1.6QR heavily modified, and some Single Driver designs as well as vintage speakers like Bozak (Rhapsody and Odyssey?) etc.

regards,

Abe"

Thanks for responding. Me and a friend of mine have talked about these, but have never heard them. Glad ya like em. What is the "Plus"?

JCarney

Hello,
 The "plus" incorporates a second tweeter positioned directly at the back of the front, wired 180 degrees out of phase.  it also requires some modifications on the component values of the filter networks of the ASP.  A full documentation of what it is and how it works can be found at the Linkwitz site of course.

regards,

Abe