Jazz Music Recommendations?

jimdgoulding

Re: Jazz Music Recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:59 am »
You cats are blowing my mind!  Speaking of the Marsalis bros . . I got a killer recording for you sonically and musically and that would be Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers at Keystone Korner 3.  The Marsalis bros are on the front line on this date with Branford on alto!  It's a sextet and the tenor player does more than just hang.  You don't just hang with Art Blakey up your backside.  And then there's Donald Brown who is a cookin pianist in the bop tradition and you can hear the inside box of his piano without over miking (Concord is a fine jazz label on more releases than this). In fact, perspective (they, on stage in proper relationship to one another, and you, in the audience) is one of the assets that make this an exceptional recording.  Then, of course, there's Blakey, who is positively on fire on the my favorite track, the last.   

Wolf . . YOU are a bloody treasure!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 25 Sep 2007, 06:24 am »
Nice..... 8)

You mentioned Keystone Korner....one of my fav recordings was done there...hard to get...on Alfa Records(Japan) ...2 Cds.......Kenny Drew: Standards Request - Live At The Keystone Korner Tokyo - 1991....Kenny Drew (p) Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen (b) Alvin Queen (d).....great recording...  8)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #62 on: 25 Sep 2007, 05:31 pm »
Check out www.salemusic.com for some good deals. They have several Concord discs that offer a variety of jazz.

Scott F.

« Reply #63 on: 25 Sep 2007, 06:26 pm »
. . I got a killer recording for you sonically and musically and that would be Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers at Keystone Korner 3.

Jim,

You should hear the Stan Ricker mastered version that Pure Audiophile puts out on Red 180 gram vinyl. It's to die for. Two disc's in a gatefold cover plus an extra cut from the session. The Pure Audiophile release is expensive at fifty clams, but its worth every penny. Stan did a phenomenal job remastering the original.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #64 on: 26 Sep 2007, 12:59 am »
Thank you Scott for the heads up.  Maybe for my birthday I so hate paying $50 for an album.  CD doubled the price of records and now records are doubling the price of CD.  But it's nice to know you are in tune with some good noise and it's nice to know Stan Ricker is on our wavelength.   

Mihilli- I listened to the group you brought to our attention.  Reminds me of stuff being played at the forefront of the avant garde movement in the late 60's for large groups.  Europeans were pushing the envelope even then.  I have several albums from the day, The New York Contemporary Five, for example.  Matter of fact, I've gotten so enthused here I think I'll bring ALL my records back from storage and see just what I do have! 

Scott-  Are you affiliated with EnjoyTheMusic?

Scott F.

« Reply #65 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:12 am »
Scott-  Are you affiliated with EnjoyTheMusic?

Shhhhh! .....don't tell anybody  :green:

I know what you mean about the audiophile releases. Good grief are they expensive. On a really positive note, Blue Note re-releases from the Mosaic online store are ten bucks and sound pretty darned good. Its a great way to pick up all of the great old Bop without having to spend a young fortune on eBay or a record store for the original issues.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #66 on: 26 Sep 2007, 02:45 am »
I'm not a Jazz expert, but I love Jazz guitar. The Real Howard Roberts is a one of my favorites, but it seems to be out of print.

Another Jazz guitarist I've been getting into is Philip Catherine. So far I have Moods Vol.1, Blue Prince, and Transparence...tasty stuff. Has anyone heard of him?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #67 on: 26 Sep 2007, 03:39 am »
I'm not a Jazz expert, but I love Jazz guitar. The Real Howard Roberts is a one of my favorites, but it seems to be out of print.

Another Jazz guitarist I've been getting into is Philip Catherine. So far I have Moods Vol.1, Blue Prince, and Transparence...tasty stuff. Has anyone heard of him?

Good choices. Philip Catherine has been around a long time and played on quite a few fusion albums back in the mid to late 70's.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2007, 03:40 am »
Some of the Blue Note CD's have been a disappointment to me in terms of sound.  Notably, Point of Departure (Andrew Hill).  One of my favorites from Blue Note is Free For All (Art Blakey) for the compositions and Wayne Shorter's ballsy solo on the title track which is worth the price of admission alone lemme tell ya.  This is a sextet so two horns can "shovel coal" behind the soloist to build momentum.  I'll use your lead and risk it, thanks.  A young Freddie Hubbard is on the date, also.

Yeah, Lankston, I know Philip Catherine.  Got a duet side with he and Larry Coryell or somebody that's nice as I remember.  Think I may have another one with him which is why I need to set up my collection in house.

jhm731

« Reply #69 on: 26 Sep 2007, 09:10 am »
1  DAYNA STEPHENS  THE TIMELESS NOW  CTA
2  JACKIE RYAN  YOU & THE NIGHT & THE MUSIC  OPENART
3  GARY SMULYAN  MORE TREASURES  RESERVOIR
RUSSELL MALONE  LIVE AT JAZZ STANDARD 2  MAXJAZZ
5  ANTONIO SANCHEZ  MIGRATION  CAMJAZZ
6  JULES BROUSSARD  ..STRINGS ATTACHED  DARLING&KID
7  BOBBY SELVAGGIO  UNSPOKEN DIALOGUE  PLAYSCAPE
8 JOSHUA REDMAN  BACK EAST  NONESUCH
9  EZRA WEISS  GET HAPPY  ROARK
10  EHUD ASHERIE  LOCK OUT  POSITONE
11  MULGREW MILLER  LIVE AT KENNEDY CENTER 2  MAXJAZZ
12  NIGEL KENNEDY  BLUE NOTE SESSIONS  EMI
13  RON CARTER  DEAR MILES  BLUENOTE
14  MEL MARTIN  JUST FRIENDS  JAZZED MEDIA
15  RUFUS REID  LIVE AT THE KENNEDY CENTER  MOTEMA
16  ALVIN QUEEN  I AIN'T LOOKING AT YOU  ENJA
17  KELLY EISENHOUR  SEEK AND FIND  BLUJAZZ
18  VINCENT GARDNER  THE GOOD BOOK..  STEEPLECHASE
19  VICTOR GOINES  LOVE DANCE  CRISS CROSS
20  MANUEL VALERA  VIENTOS  ANZIC
21  KENNY BURRELL  75TH BIRTHDAY BASH LIVE!  EMI
22  SONNY FORTUNE  YOU & THE NIGHT..  18TH & VINE
23  JERRY BERGONZI  TENORIST  SAVANT
24  JOAN STILES  HURLY-BURLY  OO-BLA-DEE
25  CHARLES MINGUS  CORNELL 1964  EMI
26  MARTIN BEJERANO  EVOLUTION/REVOLUTION  RESERVOIR
27  GRETA MATASSA  THE SMILING HOUR  ORIGIN
28  JEAN-MICHEL PILC  NEW DREAMS  DREYFUS
29  RONI BEN-HUR  KEEPIN' IT OPEN  MOTEMA
30  TOM HARRELL  LIGHT ON  HIGHNOTE
31  TAD BRITTON  BLACK HILLS  ORIGIN
32  RICHIE COLE  THE MAN WITH THE HORN  JAZZ EXCURSION
33  DAVID SILLS  GREEN  ORIGIN
34  HERB GIBSON  LET'S PLAY  SILVERADO
35  ED REED  ED REED SINGS LOVE STORIES  ER
36  RUSS SPIEGEL  CHIMERA  STEEPLECHASE
37  MARIA SCHNEIDER  SKY BLUE  ARTISTSHARE
38  JOHN PISANO  JOHN PISANO'S GUITAR NIGHT  MEL BAY
39  HELEN SUNG  SUNGBIRD  SUNNYSIDE
40 JOE LOVANO  KIDS  BLUENOTE

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #70 on: 26 Sep 2007, 09:34 am »
Along the lines of European jazz talents worth a listen:

Birelli Lagrene: Standards
Borodin Quartet: 60th Anniversary
Esbjorn Svensson Trio (E.S.T.): Seven Days Of Falling
Fabrizio Bosso: You've Changed
Gabor Szabo: The Sorcerer
Gabriele Mirabassi: Cambaluc (With Richard Galliano)
Hendrik Meurkens: Quiet Moments
Igor Butman: Prophecy
Jacques Loussier Trio: Baroque Favorites

More to come,,,,,

Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #71 on: 26 Sep 2007, 02:31 pm »
There's Svenson, again.  I'm headed that way.  Gabor Szabo was the guitar player with Chico Hamilton's group in the 60's with Charles LLoyd and George Bohanon and can be heard on Man from Two Worlds on Impulse.  He penned the best track, in my opinion, Laby Gabor.  His playing fused that Hungarian gypsy playing with jazz and it's nothing short of sublime on this.  The way he bends his notes is good for the soul.  His influence can be heard on the Blue Note release in 2001 of Phil Upchurch named Tell The Truth on his rendition of Brubeck's Time Out.  For you guitar loving enthusiasts, I can't recommend this disc enough.  Musically and sonically, very clean and dynamic, it should be in your collection.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2007, 11:41 pm by jimdgoulding »

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #72 on: 26 Sep 2007, 03:21 pm »
Time Control can be a major challenge for those who wish to understand it.  Some people don't need to understand the music to enjoy it - in that case, you can enjoy it, anyway!

Here are some links for Time Control

Time Out http://youtube.com/watch?v=NPdYt3v5pMo
Time Difference http://youtube.com/watch?v=XYBRfi_t3FA
Deep into the Night http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBWxZAR_MsY

And a bonus from Spiral http://youtube.com/watch?v=00fKuTD52gQ

By the way, she's 10x better LIVE, like in these vids.  Don't miss her, if she's in your area.

I just wanted to say thanks for the video links.  I watched them last week and immediately ordered Time Control and Spiral SACD's from Amazon.  They arrived Monday, and I've really been enjoying them.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #73 on: 27 Sep 2007, 12:19 am »
Glad you enjoyed it!  I will probably drive to see her if she comes within 400 miles of me.

I think I realized what label I can slap on her newer music (spiral, time control) that identifies some of what I find "accessible" about her compositions - a judicious dose of minimalism.