Jazz Music Recommendations?

Bigfish

Re: Jazz Music Recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2007, 09:47 am »
Ken-  Jim here from a couple of posts ago.  I didn't want to make you uncomfortable, well, maybe a little.  I'm a pretty advanced listener of the genre and a fierce advocate.  My style may be blunt but the suggestions I gave you are stand up.  Wolf gave you some good ones, too,  if I do say so and in the logical order.  For the record, Hank Mobley is a tenor player not a trumpet player and it's Gerry Mulligan, not Jerry Milligan.  Blue Mitchell is a good jazz trumpeter and was a mainstay in Horace Silver's bluesy quintet along with Junior Cook on tenor.  That's the best place to hear him (Blue Note).  You want to hear some sophisticated live in concert jazz, try "Miles In Tokyo "with his stellar supporting cast of Herbie Hancock on piano, Ron Carter on bass, and Tony Williams on drums.  They were joined on this date by Sam Rivers on tenor, a pretty edgey player but accessible on the lone ballad, My Funny Valentine- a beauty.  This has been remastered and re-released.  I own the original on Japanese Sony and the sonics are first rate.  Enjoy.

Jim:

I really appreciate the advice and I can take the novice reference because when the shoe fits you have to wear it.  Yours and the other responses to my original question have opened a world of Jazz Music I did not know exisited.  I understand, now, that I have been listening to and like smooth jazz.  However, I have a hold new world of music to explore, some of which I will like and some maybe not so much.

Thanks again and I do appreciate the advice.

Ken

jimdgoulding

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2007, 11:57 pm »
You're welcome, Ken.   We're all novices in the big picture.  Just finished listening to "Ole",  a John Coltrane date on soprano sax with double basses and a Spanish and North African musical thread running thru it.  The title track takes up the whole of the first side (album) and is pretty hypnotic stuff.  The soprano sax hadn't been used as a jazz instrument since Sidney Bechet in the 20's until Coltrane re-introduced it on the album mentioned previously and that preceded this one.  The rest is history, as they say.  I listen to other genres, too.  Now playing- "I got some colored girls dying to meet ya" . . 
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2007, 01:30 pm by jimdgoulding »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2007, 06:13 am »
Sure....this list is open to dispute....but it does give one a starting point...to explore more.... 8)

Top 100 Jazz CDs....

silverfi

• Industry Participant
  • Closer To Music
    • SilverFi Cable
« Reply #23 on: 23 Aug 2007, 10:46 am »
Hi Chris,

Yes this is a good list to start...
But as usual there there are some overrated albums and some missing ones.

I can propose  Art Tatum's 1954 Pablo (Norman Granz)  Group Recordings. It's a must to listen.

They say the Guy had four hands :)

BobM

« Reply #24 on: 23 Aug 2007, 12:50 pm »
There's been an awful lot of recommendations for the good old "traditional" jazz. Yes, they are historic but certainly not everyone's cup of tea (especially Coltrane and Bird). And a far cry from todays smooth, pop oriented, no balls radio jazz (sorry).

I would recommend you take it a bit slow and see if you can find something you like in your local library before you go out and put money down on "A Love Supreme". There are plenty of accessible artists that are a small stretch from smooth jazz (Brubeck comes to mind) and, if you like them, take the next step.

In any case, enjoy the search. It should keep you busy for some time.

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2007, 01:26 pm »
Ken-  I'm driving in this morning's traffic and listening to the radio and I hear a tune by a group named Four80East called Don't Look Back and it made me think of you.  I looked it up on Amazon and found that it's from a new release entitled En Route.  Nice stuff, cool with some funky grooves and good instrumentation.  Somethin you, too, can check out.

Brubeck has been suggested by several other guys replying to you.  His classic album is Time Out, if you didn't know that.

rabpaul

« Reply #26 on: 28 Aug 2007, 07:22 am »
Hi Ken,

I am into the same music very much like you and here is a list:
Chuck Loeb
Norman Brown
Joyce Cooling
Chieli Minucci
Wayman Tisdale
Euge Groove
Micheal Lington
Eric Marienthal
Mindy Abair
Paul Taylor
Brian Bromberg
Philip Saisse Trio
Ramsey Louis trio
Dan Siegel

Rgds

PhilNYC

« Reply #27 on: 28 Aug 2007, 01:21 pm »
Admittedly, I'm not into the smooth jazz thing, but I'm also into more "accessible" jazz...a little more melodic than some of the hard stuff by Parker, Coltrane, etc, but still more "raw" than smooth jazz.  Here are some recordings to check out:

Stan Getz - Jazz Samba
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Collosus
Sonny Rollins - Way Out West
Weather Report - Black Market
Weather Report - Heavy Weather
Joe Pass - Virtuoso
Jimmy Smith - The Sermon
Wes Montgomery - Full House
Christian McBride - Fingerpainting
Wynton Marsalis - The Magic Hour

richidoo

« Reply #28 on: 28 Aug 2007, 02:50 pm »
A record that has started many jazz musicians on the road to greatness is this:

Recorded in Feb, 1954 this has probably the most important jazz trumpet recordings ever made, from then 23 yo Clifford Brown. Also a young Art Blakey playing at his best, and Horace Silver. All of which would soon after this recording go on to form jazz' most influential hard bop bands which would dominate the art for decades, all springing from this one night. Very few others have ever appraoched this level of musical creation. This will spark your desire to learn more and seek more of this for a lifetime. You will rarely find any this good, but you will need to keep looking. :)

Charlie Parker is a little earlier in history, but is even more intense connection to the source. Look for Savoy recordings for the best material. Koko, Parker's Mood, also stuff with Dizzy.

"The Amazing Bud Powell" on Blue Note, volumes 1-4.

Coltrane's My Favorite things and Giant steps are also strong, accessible music, as are just about all Count Basie recordings. There's just so much, you have to find the style of jazz that you like, then find a couple names, then that will lead you to more and more. It is a long rewarding journey, intensely satisfying and rewarding.

The Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker is another high point in Jazz, maybe about 20 tracks there. Extremely satisfying and accessible.

Brubeck recommendations here like Time Out are great fun to listen to, but they are built on the foundation of earlier works, which should be enjoyed before the later stuff which is not as inspired. Brubeck's early years are critical in the explosion of jazz in the 50s, making more important music of the time (Bird, Ellington, Miles) even more accessible after the market was blown open by Brubeck and Mulligan in early 50s. Jazz at College of Pacific and Jazz at Oberlin as well as Jazz goes to College are Brubeck's peak if you like live improvised solos more than studio fluff. It will have a profound effect on you if you let it. If you are used to today's jazz, then Time Out is a natural entry point into real jazz, but follow it back in time to find the treasure of recordings that made Brubeck Quartet so big. Those studio sessions were result of the success of Kind of Blue. They thought Brubeck, being white would sell at least as much as Miles was selling at the time, and they were right! Brubeck was on the cover of Time magazine! But that TimeOut series is not as strong or influential as Miles' work of that time, nor the earlier Brubeck which is priceless. Check out "The song is you" showcase piece of Paul Desmond. It is one of his greatest solos, and stands on its own next to Bird or any horn player ever.

"Diz and Getz" is pure gold, best playing from either. Maybe the greatest bebop ever recorded. Peak historical moment in the evolution of simple bebop. Excellent recording too!

The Blue Notes Records catalog is all very enjoyable. Some of it is critical in the evolution of jazz. The fun thing there is that they all played on each other's records, so if you find a Blue Note artist you like, he can be found on many more recordings than just his own as leader. Blue Note's all time biggest star Lee Morgan's trumpet blowing best is on other leader's sessions like Blue Trane and No Room for Squares. Lots of great Art Blakey on Blue Note. In fact Blakeys watershed album "Moanin" is another great place to start loving jazz. Everyone always loves this record, without exception. Another original moment that launched every band member to glory.

Of course Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" is essential, as is all of Miles work. Kind of Blue has superstar artists who went on to create their own styles of jazz that serious jazz musicians of today still follow. Many people, especially musicians choose to revolve around Miles work, to the exclusion of other important material. Be sure to spend time understanding the history of jazz prior to Miles domination so will better understand his contribution, and can put into perspective the current state of jazz which is a result of his enormous influence on the art and the business. His greatest talent was as visionary and producer, and the commercial results were epoch, and likewise tragic to other more traditional artists.

Louis Armstrong's original Hot 5 recordings will also be a great place to start, that's what made it all possible, started the business in a big way. He was the "Apple 2 computer" of jazz. The model T. Some experts like Wynton Marsalis argue that Armstrong was the beginning of popular music in America and the most influential musical recording artist of all time. YMMV, I prefer Clifford Brown ;)
Rich

Fenomeno

« Reply #29 on: 28 Aug 2007, 03:53 pm »
Just my 2c

Richidoo's recommendation of the Art Blakey cd/album is a good one.  Got it, love it. A little over the top.  Clifford Brown is genius and his solo albums are great.  Again, a little much, unless you like Be Bop.   But one of the greatest solos of the mid/late 50's era, in my mind, is Canonball Adderley's "Autumn Leaves" solo from the album "Somethin' Else."  Miles Davis plays on this album and it is a real winner. Very approachable.

Bill Evans, specifically "Sunday at the Village Vanguard"
Miles Davis, "'Round About Midnight" in addition to the obvious "Kind of Blue"
Charlie Mingus, "Mingus Mingus Mingus"
Herbie Hancock, perhaps a compliation with "watermelon man" and "cantaloupe island" and ......

An alternative, and I am not sure if anyone has already mentioned: Tomasz Stanko's "Suspended  Night" album...a kind of take off of "Kind of Blue" and great modern jazz

Thelonious Monk, Sonny Stitt and Sonny Rollins, Freddie Hubbard (the man had chops) can be better appreciated with time, in my opinion.  If you begin with the suggestions given to you by everyone here, then you will see the histories of the players and their transitions from one band to another, eventually (not always) going solo.  This will give you an idea if you like certain performers' works or not....

Download NPR's Music Profile series and listen to the Kind of Blue program (they have others which are commendable).  It is interesting, if not the last word in detail about these sessions.  (for those, the Books by Ashley Kahn or Eric Nisenson are great reads, while listening to the cd/album of course)

Dokter_doug

« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2007, 01:16 am »
I agree with Jim about Kenny G. big time, and I too find it hard labeling some of that easy listening stuff a "jazz" (it ain't). However, I get tired of hearing the same old recycled solos over and over. Coltrane, Tyner, Miles, Evans (and those of that generation including many listed by the old-time jazz buffs) really defined the language and grammar of jazz harmony and solo structure. And in my opinion there has been little development since then. So I look elsewhere for my jazz fix...however you may want to define the term. John Scofield, Laurent deWilde, Tord Gustavson, Nils Petter Molvaer, and if you're really daring try David Fiuczynski. You might also like Medeski Martin and Woods.

Have lots of fun listening and trying stuff out.

Doug

rabpaul

« Reply #31 on: 3 Sep 2007, 06:51 am »
We all have different tastes when it comes to music. My own preference is towards music that has a melody you can follow. Take Bach, Mozart as opposed to Bartok, Mahler and you will understand what I mean.
Its OK not to like Kenny G's music (too sweet) as some people can't handle Bartok (too abstract) either. However you should listen to his The Moment and Paradise albums which are clearly light/smooth jazz.

Ben Webster anyone?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #32 on: 18 Sep 2007, 03:16 am »
Older jazz isn't the standard for me,,,, more a standby as one needs to know where they've been before know where they're heading. Today I'm into all forms of jazz, not just the smooth jazz that's the mainstay of many radio stations. Here's a few;

Dr. Nigel Kennedy-----Blue Note Sessions

Meta Roos--------------Enjoy The Rhythm

Ahmad Jamal-----------Chicago Revisited , Live At Joe Segal's Jazz Showcase

Althea Rene-------------In the Moment

Joshua Redman---------Freedom in the Groove

Kenny Garrett-----------Beyond The Wall

Claire Martin-------------He Never Mentioned Love

Denys Baptiste----------Be Where You Are

Phil Woods---------------European Rhythm Machine

The Mahavishnu Project--Return To The Emerald Beyond

The Bad Plus------------Prog

Chris Jerome------------Long Distance

Special EFX-------------Party

Victor Bailey------------That's Right

Tomasz Stanko---------Lontano

Wolfgang Haffner-------Shapes

There,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, there's enough variety here so's to perk up someone's interests.  8)

This is my first post here in quite a while,,,, hope someone'll enjoy it!  :thumb:

Robin

ooheadsoo

« Reply #33 on: 18 Sep 2007, 04:57 am »
Did I recommend Hiromi, yet?  Cutting edge fusion, my favorite by far.  Try Spiral if you like less keyboards, try Time Control if you want full blown fusion.  Fuze joins her trio on Time Control, all 4 players burning it up like you can't believe.  Clips available on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOjmJlpSN8&mode=related&search=

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #34 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:21 am »
I have Spiral but haven't heard Time Control yet. Good stuff for sure.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #35 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:28 am »
Time Control can be a major challenge for those who wish to understand it.  Some people don't need to understand the music to enjoy it - in that case, you can enjoy it, anyway!

Here are some links for Time Control

Time Out http://youtube.com/watch?v=NPdYt3v5pMo
Time Difference http://youtube.com/watch?v=XYBRfi_t3FA
Deep into the Night http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBWxZAR_MsY

And a bonus from Spiral http://youtube.com/watch?v=00fKuTD52gQ

By the way, she's 10x better LIVE, like in these vids.  Don't miss her, if she's in your area.

mca

« Reply #36 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:51 am »
Great posts, everyone. This is what we need more of on Audiocircle. After all, it is all about the music! Now I'm going to be sitting at the computer all night  :D

By the way, that Hiromi gal is excellent  :thumb:

linkweewee

« Reply #37 on: 18 Sep 2007, 05:56 am »
Do not go to this site, especially if you like vinyl
http://www.scaruffi.com/jazz/50.html

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #38 on: 18 Sep 2007, 06:00 am »
Hey Ken (Bigfish)....

Its been almost a month....what Cd's have you purchased ?
What do you think of them ? Been lots of good recommendations.... 8)

Chris

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 19 Sep 2007, 01:35 pm »
Speaking of fusion . . I have a couple of originals in my collection that gas me to this day.  Hip Elegy by Joachim Kuhn and Feels Good To Me by Bill Bruford.  The former has a few spots featuring trumpeter Teramusa Hino burning up the oxygen in the atmosphere as in this cat has blazing playing and the latter has some wonderful spacey vocals by Annette Peacock and is great compositionally.

I listened to the You Tube tracks mentioned above.  Huh, no comparison.  Sorry.  Both of these are also more interesting than Romantic Warrior by Chick Corea's fusion quartet which is considered a classic from the day.  And while I couldn't connect with most of Weather Report's many albums I do think Tale Spinnin is exceptional.  One man's opinion.

In the most recent Stereophile, an author says the most interesting things going on in jazz today are being provided by European players.  I would have to agree based on what I hear day to day on FM but there is a sameness to a lot of it, particularly, from the ECM label that profoundly lack excitement.  It's all so contemplative, usually.

Drummers always blow my mind on the fiercest stuff of the genre.  Cats like Alphonse Mouzon, Billy Cobham, and Lenny White.  And let's not overlook Tony Williams' work with Lifetime.

What else, my afficionado brothers?

(later) I just listened to Fiuczynski on Amazon.  Pretty hairy stuff.  Something I might like to see live at The Knitting Factory or someplace.  I liked his instrumental stuff best, the one with Medeski, for example.

Oh.  Here is another trip that might qualify as fusion of a sort . . Santana/McLaughlin.  Don't laugh, Santana has never sounded like this.  It's a tour de force of guitars, organ and drums.

« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2007, 04:15 pm by jimdgoulding »