BCD-1 Digital Input?

kristian85

BCD-1 Digital Input?
« on: 20 Aug 2007, 07:32 pm »
Greetings,

I'm keenly interested in the new player, but would be even more so if it had either a firewire or USB input.  If it did, one could have a SOTA stand-alone CD player with the ability to input a loss-less digital stream from a Sonos/computer setup, which is where I'll eventually be.  I'd love to have the ability to both play CDs and stream from a hard drive, without having to go with a separate player-DAC setup, where clocking issues appear.  You could keep it strictly a firewire or USB input, so the unit couldn't be used as a regular DAC, to prevent competition with the stand-alone DAC.

Best,

KS

Phil A

Re: BCD-1 Digital Input?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007, 09:21 pm »
The manual is available online at Bryston's site.  It has balanced and unbalanced (RCA) analog outs and a toslink, coax (RCA) and balanced digital outputs.  It also has a remote DC trigger and an RS232 port for software upgrade.  If I ever chose to do something like that, I have my Pioneer Elite CD Recorder that has digital inputs.  If you don't have enough digital inputs on your rec'r or preamp there are always digital switching devices or even 75 ohm video switches.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2007, 09:23 pm »
I should add there are devices like this too:

http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/USB_Audio_desc.htm

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2007, 09:31 pm »
Greetings,

I'm keenly interested in the new player, but would be even more so if it had either a firewire or USB input.  If it did, one could have a SOTA stand-alone CD player with the ability to input a loss-less digital stream from a Sonos/computer setup, which is where I'll eventually be.  I'd love to have the ability to both play CDs and stream from a hard drive, without having to go with a separate player-DAC setup, where clocking issues appear.  You could keep it strictly a firewire or USB input, so the unit couldn't be used as a regular DAC, to prevent competition with the stand-alone DAC.

Best,

KS

Hi KS,

If I understand you correctly would you not have to then design the DAC in the Bryston CD Player to reclock and resample the incoming digital signal?

Plus the USB input has to have an interface circuit as well.

james

kristian85

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2007, 09:58 pm »

Hi KS,

If I understand you correctly would you not have to then design the DAC in the Bryston CD Player to reclock and resample the incoming digital signal?

Plus the USB input has to have an interface circuit as well.

james

[/quote]

Yep, that sounds about right, if that's what needs to be done; like the Quad CDP-2, but only with USB/Firewire inputs.  You'd still avoid clocking issues when playing CDs directly, but obviously not when using the external input.  It makes a lot of sense, as many of us who desire to switch to computer-based audio would also like to be able to play CDs on a SOTA player with a minimum of fuss and extraneous devices.

Thanks!

kristian85

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2007, 10:01 pm »
I should add there are devices like this too:

http://www.trendsaudio.com/EN/Product/USB_Audio_desc.htm

Naah, there's no way in heck I'd insert that device into my system!  I do not care for converters of any type; that thing can only harm the signal.  Good device for some, though, if it's really needed!

Best,