Re: Omega (Sub)Woofer And The Frog At The Bottom Of The Well

ikakenewa

Guys, thanks for the responses.

Miklorsmith, how would a Squeezebox help?

Rajacat, I've driven the XRS's with a Super T, a Sansui ss amp, Fisher 30a el84 monoblocs, a modded Harman Kardon A300 tube amp, a modded Dynaco ST70 and a Carver TMC with a variety of preamps, from a NAD to a Foreplay to an Aikido-based preamp with 5687 tubes. I recently took the speakers to a hi fi dealer here in Baltimore and tried them out with a Cayin a50t and a Rega Apollo on the front end.  The results were much the same as with all the rest: mindblowing and perfect on some cds, painful on others.

The one constant has pretty much been the 5687 preamp.  To my ears there is not a substantial difference when I remove the preamp.

ikakenewa

« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007, 05:49 pm »
For some reason my last sentence got cut off of the previous post:

What is a BSC? How do I do it?

Thanks!

schotter

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2007, 09:07 am »
hey ikakenewa,
your posts mirror pretty much exactly my own XRS/amp odyssey. They are merciless towards thinly/badly recorded music and it gets worse if you have other revealing/detail obsessed components. That's been my observation after 300hrs+ of listening until now. I started looking for a new amp and got a huge amount of greatly appreciated recommendations. And still, their virtues are for me substantial enough to look for suiting amps even if a couple of times more expensive. But while looking, I came across Music Reference's EQ (page Roger in 'Music Reference' circle). For now it keeps me from looking further and I hope I will end up where I came from: Just throwing on ANY type of music I love in any format and enjoy it. This could be an alternative for you and well worth trying for around $ 150.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2007, 11:44 am by schotter »

ikakenewa

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2007, 11:42 am »
Schotter,

Thanks for the tip. I've already sent ROger an email!

Ika