ODYSSEY :MONO EXTREMES S.S.E.

Lkdog

Re: ODYSSEY :MONO EXTREMES S.S.E.
« Reply #40 on: 4 Sep 2007, 12:40 am »
before i finish with this sight i would like to say that this was the worst,horrific experience i have ever been through,it was like a thousand vultures after your money,it took me $7200can to get the DEAL i got from Klaus?????  i am learning alot about the first time highend audio world,and i wish anyone who is thinking about getting involved contact me,because there are some really good people and some not so good,some who will make sure that their product is in the best condition possible(no matter where u bought because you sent it back to them to make sure it was perfect,i feel 2mnths is enough time)and some who won't>>>>i will not say i did everything right,advertised everything properly,hell i gave out my tele# so we could talk,but i have learned alot and if i can help even 1 person ,i know i did them a favour. 

thanks John

John,

Sorry you had what you consider a bad experience.

But watching from the sidelines, I think you caused a lot of your own problems but not handling the situation properly.  Also, I think you had very unrealistic expectations of what your gear was worth and how fast it should sell.

While this is a hobby for most us, we are still looking for good deals and trying to stretch our budgets as much as possible.  As such, people will try to do what's best for them - not you.  Frankly, I don't see how this is different from any other area of life, but for some reason, it sometimes seems like people expect more just because we share the same hobby.

I am happy that you sold your amps, and hopefully as time goes by, this won't seem as bad as it does now.

Best of luck.

George

I agree that John may not have advertised in the most sophisticated manner, but anyone who knows this amp, and Klaus' phone number could have sorted it out in a day if they were serious.

The reality is they were probably under priced IMO. As many have noted-higher priced items do not sell easy on AC.
Whoever bought them got a great deal and SOTA reference amps.

yooper

« Reply #41 on: 4 Sep 2007, 12:45 am »
Klaus is a bozo

:scratch:  What the...???

Double Ugly

« Reply #42 on: 4 Sep 2007, 12:46 am »
...it took me $7200can to get the DEAL i got from Klaus????? 

But watching from the sidelines, I think you caused a lot of your own problems but not handling the situation properly.  Also, I think you had very unrealistic expectations of what your gear was worth and how fast it should sell.

I agree on both counts.

Further, it is advisable to be as honest and forthcoming as you expect potential customers to be.

I agree that John may not have advertised in the most sophisticated manner, but anyone who knows this amp, and Klaus' phone number could have sorted it out in a day if they were serious.

The reality is they were probably under priced IMO.
Whoever bought them got a great deal and SOTA reference amps.

I spoke with Klaus, and if you read back through the posts, T, you'll see that I and others attempted to purchase the amps well before they sold.

As I said before, the amps themselves were not the issue.

And they weren't as underpriced as you might think.

Lkdog

« Reply #43 on: 4 Sep 2007, 01:08 am »
Agree, that Klaus likely took a pair of nice used Mono Extremes sent to him and upgraded them to the custom highly tweaked SE level John wanted.
I am guessing it wasn't like he bought brand new from scratch and had $4500 in them.

I know the routine a little bit as that is how I got a nice deal from Klaus on my Mono Extremes when I sent him a nice used Stratos Plus to start with. Klaus is awesome to work with and I am sure these amps are sweet.

I was just saying that it was still a good deal considering all of these factors.

Don't know all of the interaction folks had. Too bad it got a little complicated.
Oh well, time to move on.

Double Ugly

« Reply #44 on: 4 Sep 2007, 01:25 am »
Agree, that Klaus likely took a pair of nice used Mono Extremes sent to him and upgraded them to the custom highly tweaked SE level John wanted.
I am guessing it wasn't like he bought brand new from scratch and had $4500 in them.

I know the routine a little bit as that is how I got a nice deal from Klaus on my Mono Extremes when I sent him a nice used Stratos Plus to start with. Klaus is awesome to work with and I am sure these amps are sweet.

I'm not sure how they ended up in the seller's hands, nor do I know what he has invested because I've seen 2 different dollar amounts (1 public, 1 private).  Regardless, I have no doubt they're excellent amps.
I'm also in complete agreement about Klaus, and may yet contact him about building four of these beasts to drive my Revelations.  Can you imagine how good that'd sound?   :drool:

Anyway, I'll agree yet again and move on with you.  :wink:

klaus@odyssey

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #45 on: 4 Sep 2007, 04:00 am »
Guys,

I have received several emails concerning this issue,  and even though there is quite a bit for me to say,  I won't.  Maybe later,  we'll see.
What I can say is that I am truly happy to see that John sold the amps,  and that the buyer is getting a fantastic pair of amps at a very good price.

Enjoy,

Bozo.

Airborn

« Reply #46 on: 4 Sep 2007, 05:10 am »
Congrats on the sale, John.  I'm sorry you had what you consider a bad experience with AC.  My experience is the opposite, if you give the site a chance.  It's one of the good places in this crazy audio biz, imo.

Klaus a bozo? :scratch:  That seems totally unjustified to me. :nono:

I hope bozo sticks around until I save up enough for my own Mono Extremes. :drool:

Wolfman

« Reply #47 on: 5 Sep 2007, 01:33 am »
Macrojack-
You may have private issues with Klaus that most of us don't know about(and don't figgin' care!),but calling Klaus a bozo is a real low class,moronic move.

This disaster of a thread started with someone possibly slightly mishandling a sale of a couple of friggin' amps,and had to endure personal insults as well as being ridiculed instead of being assisted in a helpful way with his mistakes in sales listing. Did you think that he possibly might be new at this(as many people here might be)?

Then he has to acknowledge something as personal as having Cancer to satisfy one or two of the vultures just to sell a pair of AMPS !?!?!?

I believe Macrojack owes Klaus an apology in print,and I believe Samplesj owes the same to John.

My opinion is that both of you went too far in this thread. I don't believe personal insults,or unbased personal attacks have any place in an ad thread.

Bigfish

« Reply #48 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:22 am »
Guys,

I have received several emails concerning this issue,  and even though there is quite a bit for me to say,  I won't.  Maybe later,  we'll see.
What I can say is that I am truly happy to see that John sold the amps,  and that the buyer is getting a fantastic pair of amps at a very good price.

Enjoy,

Bozo.

This thread from Klaus is a prefect example of the class the majority of us have experienced in our dealings with him.  There is one thing for certain for any business person and that is even with the best of intentions/efforts you will never satisfy 100% of your customers.  I and I believe many others here take extreme offense to the unfair, public reference and am sorry that type of thing is tolerated on AC.

Ken

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #49 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:43 am »
Klaus is a bozo but I think John liked the service. I also found his post confusing.

Maybe I read this post wrong, but I understood it to mean that macrojack felt the gentleman (John) selling the amps thought Klaus was a bozo but liked his service. Hence he (macrojack) found the post confusing.

Lin :)
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2007, 03:18 am by opnly bafld »

Wolfman

« Reply #50 on: 5 Sep 2007, 04:00 am »
Well...if that's the case,I totally missed it(wouldn't be the first time  :duh:). It might end up me apologising to Macrojack.

Sheesh,all this over a pair of amps.

tdangelo

« Reply #51 on: 5 Sep 2007, 04:15 am »
I thought these were sold?  I just saw this on Agon:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1194136832

:roll:

Lkdog

« Reply #52 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:34 pm »
  :scratch:

Certainly an interesting saga.

samplesj

« Reply #53 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:49 pm »
Macrojack-
You may have private issues with Klaus that most of us don't know about(and don't figgin' care!),but calling Klaus a bozo is a real low class,moronic move.

This disaster of a thread started with someone possibly slightly mishandling a sale of a couple of friggin' amps,and had to endure personal insults as well as being ridiculed instead of being assisted in a helpful way with his mistakes in sales listing. Did you think that he possibly might be new at this(as many people here might be)?

Then he has to acknowledge something as personal as having Cancer to satisfy one or two of the vultures just to sell a pair of AMPS !?!?!?

I believe Macrojack owes Klaus an apology in print,and I believe Samplesj owes the same to John.

My opinion is that both of you went too far in this thread. I don't believe personal insults,or unbased personal attacks have any place in an ad thread.

Please show me a single personal insult or attack in my post.  There is no namecalling I can see at all.  It is below for reference and here is my original PM for you to review too.  I made a good faith offer VERY close to the asking price and was quoted an outragous shipping and then the seller said all he got was PMs from lowballers which then calls me a lowballer.  While the message may have appeared harsh, it was true and can be verified by viewing the posts.  The only non-factual opinion bit I can see is my last line and I can't see how that is possibly an insult or an attack.  I know if my wife told me sell my maggies to cover some bills (medical or otherwise) I'd sure drag my feet about it.

I didn't ask why the amp was being sold and to be blunt I don't think it was appropriate to post publically in the first place (to steal a Princess Bride quote "Life is pain, higness"), but something like that should NEVER have been questioned.  Do not attribute previous poster's questioning of health concerns to me.

Ooops I guess I'm a lowballer too since I asked for shipping to be covered at the asking price too.  DU/Jim I'd agree with the ~$50 shipping since I just shipped a 85 lb BPT to Washington state for $80 and this isn't that heavy, but John/mclsound says $160 is a more accurate shipping charge.

Folks just to help John/mclsound sell his amp, let us tell you that his price is FIRM even though he didn't state it as such.  Also you will be asked to cover the paypal fee (in violation of section 4.6 of the paypal user agreement) even though that also isn't stated.

John/mclsound, both of these are great examples of why this hasn't sold.  Not only can't you provide technical details or post pictures, but you can't even be bothered to let us know UP FRONT that its a firm price vs OBO.  You couldn't even be bothered to say what forms of payment you took and if there were any surcharges.  Those are the basic facts that should be part of the VERY FIRST post.  If you'd included those I'd not have even PM'd you in the first place and "lowballed" you.  You are the one with something to sell so you have to meet prospective buyers more than halfway.

I suspect that John/mclsound has been "forced" to "try" to sell these by family and he'd rather they not actually sell.

Here is the PM I sent.
What forms of payment will you accept?  I could offer $2750 shipped to 37643 (TN) via paypal tonight.

mclsound

« Reply #54 on: 5 Sep 2007, 03:26 pm »
for my last post here let me get a few things straight,
1.    Klaus is a business man,i think u get what u pay for,so if u want $10,000 sound from a amplifier,maybe a Stratos is not the right choice,on the other hand,if you want a good 3ch amp without breaking the bank,i HIGHLY recommend the HT-3, the fully broken in MONO EXTREME SE that i had briefly,was definately more powerful than the stereo part of a HT-3,sounded good
....i think all Americans are lucky to have Odyssey,as are we in Canada to have Bryston.....
NOW,   Klaus as a person,that is why i bought Odyssey from the start,he can take care of you,so as far as what i think,if i lived in the USA and was looking for reasonably priced gear,Klaus is your man.

2.   i am new to AudioCircle(which i do like)and also the computer,i just got it in April,so i have alot to learn,one thing i do know is that if i was spending even $50 ,not to mention thousands,on a hobby that i am passionate about,i would want to talk to the person(i have not bought one thing i was interested in without talking to them on the phone)....not completely downgrade and ridicule him on a computer from thousands of miles away,to me that tells me alot about these people...

3.  NEVER done Audiogon or Paypal,i put the add in a week ago and the money just transfered,that is why it came up.

thanks John

F-100

« Reply #55 on: 5 Sep 2007, 04:00 pm »
Klaus is a bozo but I think John liked the service. I also found his post confusing.

I recalled you went haywire when I recommended Odyssey Stratos amp over the Onix tube amp that you were trying to sell to another AC member. Now, you're calling Klaus a bozo? Do you have an issue with Klaus or what? If so, take it off-line. We don't need your bashing here.

Lkdog

« Reply #56 on: 5 Sep 2007, 04:28 pm »
for my last post here let me get a few things straight,
1.    Klaus is a business man,i think u get what u pay for,so if u want $10,000 sound from a amplifier,maybe a Stratos is not the right choice,on the other hand,if you want a good 3ch amp without breaking the bank,i HIGHLY recommend the HT-3, the fully broken in MONO EXTREME SE that i had briefly,was definately more powerful than the stereo part of a HT-3,sounded good
....i think all Americans are lucky to have Odyssey,as are we in Canada to have Bryston.....
NOW,   Klaus as a person,that is why i bought Odyssey from the start,he can take care of you,so as far as what i think,if i lived in the USA and was looking for reasonably priced gear,Klaus is your man.

thanks John

:scratch:

I don't think Klaus intended for the HT-3 or Stratos to compete with $10,000 amps. They are $1700 and $1300 amps respectively. Kind of confused about your point there.

Many do seem to think that the Mono Exteme SE versions, however, can probably compete with such high priced $10K amps and I have actually compared just the standard Mono Extremes to reference amps nearly three times their $2800 price and they were certainly as good, but certainly different. Everyone has their own tastes, however.

As for power, of course the Mono Extremes are more powerful than two channels in an HT-3 or a Stratos-it is because it has double the transformers and 3X the current.    :green:

Too bad you were not able to break them in to really hear them.

Good luck. Glad all of the Odyssey amps found homes and you have them sold.