Bolder SB3 analog mods w/Hosfelt pwr supply upgrade vs Altmann DAC

ebag4

I would like to get the opinions of those that have heard both (or one) the Bolder SB3 analog mods w/Hosfelt  (similar to Elpac) pwr supply upgrade and the Altmann DAC.  I am looking at the Bolder Enthusiast Analog mod with VH audio coupling bypass caps.

If you were looking at these two solutions which would you choose for your system?  I have the SB3 and Hosfelt power supply but am undecided which direction to choose.  I am leaning toward the Bolder mods simply because I have yet to read anything but fantastic reviews by everyone that has heard them.  The Altmann is attractive because if it didn't meet my needs I could simply sell it and I would not have to be considering upgrading to the Bolder Ultimate II pwr supply down the road.  The drawback is another box, cable and connections.

This will be part of a very simple system, a single source (SB3) to a DIY battery powered 41hz amp4 w/Jensen PIO coupling caps driving a pair of DIY Hawthorne Duets.

Thanks for your opinions.

Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2007, 07:57 pm by ebag4 »

Wayne1

Hello Ed,

There are very few that have heard a modded SB and the Altmann at the same time in the same room and the same system.

I believe you can find the comments about a listening session with these products here

Now in this session the power supply used was an Ultimate and a Burson Buffer was added to the mix.

ebag4

Thanks for the link Wayne, very informative.

Best,
Ed