Minipod Speakers + Sig 30 amp?

chimaera

Minipod Speakers + Sig 30 amp?
« on: 15 Aug 2007, 06:28 pm »
Hi guys,

Been reading (and learning) lots on this forum since I got interested in Clari-t long ago. I need some help with my current setup and hope you guys can help a newbie out  :oops:

I'm currently using Minipod speakers with T-amp while saving up for a Sig 30. Now what's happened is that I've found the music clips alot and the sound imaging has become really fuzzy and the sound stage isn't as wide as it used to be. I tried everything I could think of, checking wiring etc. but still no joy. I wonder if my speaker/amp got burnt out or something (does that make sense)? I've had both for a while now and I suspect the problem might be with the T-amp - I could no longer turn it up as much as I used to without clipping or the music just feels unfocused.

I'm really itching for a Sig 30 (with Visaton b200s of course) but being a student its a pipe-dream at the moment lol. I wonder what should I upgrade next? Should I go get a Sig 30 once I am able to and will that work well with the Minipod speakers? Is there such a thing as over-using your amp, cuz I just cannot figure out for the life of me what's going on with my current set-up.

Oh and for what its worth I do find the T-amp tiring to listen to during a longer session, does that happen with a Sig 30 at all? I'm only drawing comparisons because they are both tripath-based amps and I haven't heard anything else other than my T-amp so far. Thanks very much in advance and look forward to any advice you guys might have.

Cheers!
C

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Minipod Speakers + Sig 30 amp?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007, 02:16 am »
Hi Chimaera,

Are you using the Sonic Impact T-Amp?  I think you mentioned a while back that you are.

I'm not sure why the sound has degraded over time... could be a defective amp?  :scratch:  Luckily, it is only around $30 or $40 to replace   :green:

I'm really itching for a Sig 30 (with Visaton b200s of course) but being a student its a pipe-dream at the moment lol. I wonder what should I upgrade next?

I would first upgrade your speakers.  Get the best that you can afford, and continue to use the T-Amp (but make sure the speakers are at least 90dB efficient with that 6-watt RMS into 8-ohms per channel T-Amp) until you later have the funds to upgrade to a better amp.  The Signature 30 will crush the T-Amp (not just in terms of having 4 times the power, but in terms of the sound quality).  Still, the SI T-Amp is priced extremely well and is good to start with.

Oh and for what its worth I do find the T-amp tiring to listen to during a longer session, does that happen with a Sig 30 at all?

It could be your speakers, the T-amp, your source, or a combination of any of them.  I have a hunch that your speakers are what needs to be upgraded first.

I'm only drawing comparisons because they are both tripath-based amps and I haven't heard anything else other than my T-amp so far.

Amplifiers that use Tripath chips do not all sound the same... the sound can vary a lot!  There is more to the design than the Tripath chip.  There are input stage components, output stage components, board layout, power supply, volume control, etc.  All of this will make or break the sound. 

Also, the Signature 30 is 30W RMS into 8-ohm per channel.  That is more than 4 times the power than the SI T-Amp.  If you are clipping your speakers, you might need more power (unless it is your speakers that can't handle the power you are feeding them and are breaking up, but I bet it is the low power of your amp).  However, having 4 times the power does not equal to 4 times the volume  :wink: 

Hope this helps,

Vinnie

chimaera

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2007, 09:07 am »
Thanks for the reply Vinnie,

hmm if I understand you correctly my current problem should lie with the Sonic Impact T-Amp then. I checked the specs on the Minipods and its 90db spl (1w @ 1m) 4 ohm. I'll try getting a new T-Amp then in the meantime and see if that solves the current clipping issues, though how common is sound degradation over time? So am I also correct in saying that chances are the Sonic T-Amp is underpowered for my current speakers and hence causing the clipping issues? I just can't turn it up as much as I used to.

I'll start looking around for new speakers then - I'll want something that would go great with the Sig 30 when I can afford it and use it with the T-Amp in the meantime. Any suggestions in particular? Appreciate it!!

Cheers!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2007, 12:26 pm »
Hi chimaera,

I checked the specs on the Minipods and its 90db spl (1w @ 1m) 4 ohm.

Ok... your SI T-Amp should be giving you more like 10 or 11 watts into 4-ohms. 

This is the part that is odd to me:

I'll try getting a new T-Amp then in the meantime and see if that solves the current clipping issues, though how common is sound degradation over time?

It is NOT common.  The sound should not degrade over time, so something could be wrong with your SI T-Amp.  Is this clipping happening in both channels?  This is odd.  What power supply are you using for your SI T-Amp?  Voltage?  Max output current? 

So am I also correct in saying that chances are the Sonic T-Amp is underpowered for my current speakers and hence causing the clipping issues? I just can't turn it up as much as I used to.

If it used to be able to play louder without clipping and now is clipping at lower volumes, it could be a defective SI T-Amp, or defective power supply. 

I would start out by first solving your SI T-Amp problem (replace the T-Amp or replace the power supply, or possibly both) because you said you used to be able to turn it up louder and now it is clipping early.  This needs to be addressed first (and luckily it is an inexpensive component to replace) and then I would look into upgrading your speakers if you are looking to make an upgrade.

Best regards,

Vinnie

flatmap

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:14 pm »
Hi chimaera, what are you using to power your Sonic Impact amp?  If you are using batteries, replace them!  If you're using a wall wart type power supply, have you checked the actual output voltage?  And note, if there is something off with your power supply, then it could cause problems for your replacement amp -- so I would suggest checking that out first.

On the speakers, could you borrow an amp to try with with them -- just to eliminate the speakers as a source of the problem? 

Steve