George's new black SongTowers

jsalk

George's new black SongTowers
« on: 14 Aug 2007, 09:55 pm »
George needed some speakers for a new home theater he was constructing.  After due consideration, he chose to have us build three black  SongTower QWT's that will sit behind his acoustically-transparent screen.

Here they are...

Notice that the tweeters in the ST design are off-set.  This is to minimize diffraction artifacts.  While it would perhaps look better to have the tweeter in the center channel centered, we opted to go for the best sound quality.  Of course, you won't see these once installed anyway.

I'm sure we'll hear more about this project in the coming days.

Happy listening George!

- Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: George's new black SongTowers
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2007, 10:54 pm »
Thanks Jim.

I am unpacking the speakers right now and have all three out of their boxes and one fully assembled.

Your packing job was excellent and everything appears to have arrived safe and sound.

George

PeteG

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2007, 11:23 pm »
George,

They look great, Jim did a good job. What sub will you use with them.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2007, 11:40 pm »
George,

They look great, Jim did a good job. What sub will you use with them.

This monster (and maybe a second one) powered by a Crown K2 and EQ'd with Velodyne SMS-1:

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2007, 12:35 am »
Ok, the speakers are unpacked and put together.

Because of the nice compact and light design, this is an easy one person job and isn't as difficult as some of the larger Salk speakers.

I snapped a few pics along the way, but they are definitely rough and I didn't take the time to make sure everything was clean.

Here are some pictures as I was unpacking and "assembling" the Song Towers:

Nice and sturdy boxes

Song Tower outside of its box and hard styrofoam enclosure

Screws, Spikes, and Bases

Bottom of Song Tower

Song Tower from behind

George

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2007, 03:28 am »
Nice job Jim.... :beer:

Enjoy them George....looking forward to your comments....and thanks for the photo's and info..... :thumb:

Chris

jermmd

« Reply #6 on: 15 Aug 2007, 05:10 am »
The port on the back looks really big.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2007, 05:13 am »
Those are quite elegant - very nice, Senor Zybar  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2007, 06:28 am »
Hey George, I helped Jim load those on the DHL truck last Friday.  Can't wait to read your assessment. 

avalon65

« Reply #9 on: 16 Aug 2007, 01:21 pm »
George needed some speakers for a new home theater he was constructing.  After due consideration, he chose to have us build three black  SongTower QWT's that will sit behind his acoustically-transparent screen...

George,

Your new STs are quite nice, it's almost too bad these beauties will be hidden behind a screen. I don't know if you've had a chance to listen to them too much, but I'd like to know how these compare to the Mini Strata for two channel listening? Was your original intent for the Mini Strata HT?

Thanks.
LJ

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2007, 02:01 pm »
George,
Is that a fake Photoshop glimmer coming off the binding posts. It just looks too perfect :)
Mike

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:08 pm »
George,
Is that a fake Photoshop glimmer coming off the binding posts. It just looks too perfect :)
Mike

Nope.

Just the way the flash hit them.

George

mcullinan

« Reply #12 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:15 pm »
Oops Sorry George I just put 2 and 2 together and figured out that you are zybar and got the Songtowers....
How do they sound.
Mike

BradJudy

« Reply #13 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:25 pm »
I dig those spikes used for the feet.  Jim - are those custom or did you buy them somewhere?

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:46 pm »
BradJudy -

I dig those spikes used for the feet.  Jim - are those custom or did you buy them somewhere?

Those are our custom "standard" spikes.  We designed them for use as our standard small spike.

- Jim

brj

« Reply #15 on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:34 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
Quote from: BradJudy

Those are our custom "standard" spikes.  We designed them for use as our standard small spike.

Actually, if they could be anodized or otherwise treated with the right color, they'd probably look great with any speaker having the SEAS XL drivers and their copper alloy phase plug of the same shape...

jsalk

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2007, 10:05 pm »
brj -

Actually, if they could be anodized or otherwise treated with the right color, they'd probably look great with any speaker having the SEAS XL drivers and their copper alloy phase plug of the same shape...

Actually I will have to try that!  I asked the guy who normally does our anodizing about copper and he said he could do it but would have to order chemicals for that process since he is never call upon to anodize that color.  It would be an interesting experience at any rate.

- Jim

stereocilia

« Reply #17 on: 17 Aug 2007, 02:14 pm »
George,
looks like it will be an amazing setup; let me know if you need a hand with anything    aa

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 17 Aug 2007, 03:12 pm »
George,
looks like it will be an amazing setup; let me know if you need a hand with anything    aa

Are you good with power tools?   aa

George

stereocilia

« Reply #19 on: 17 Aug 2007, 04:53 pm »
I'm just average, but for you, I'd make an exception.   :green: