Ultimate Truth 3910 impressions?

jrebman

Ultimate Truth 3910 impressions?
« on: 14 Aug 2007, 08:14 pm »
I've been corresponding with Dan about getting my 3910 modded with the full monty mods.

Can folks who have this player offer some comments on what the changes from the stock are, and overall impressions in their systems?  I'd especially be interested to hear from folks who may have the tube rectified PSU as that's what I plan to get.

Thanks,

Jim

jrebman

Re: Ultimate Truth 3910 impressions?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007, 04:43 pm »
Nobody??

Even if you don't have tube rectification??

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:09 pm »
I would search Audio Asylum also.  There are often more reviews and feedback about our work there.

Thanks,

Dan

AB

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:23 pm »
Most folks here have Modwright Sonys - either the NS999Es or the 9100ES.

I can't say as I have seen anyone here with a 3910.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2007, 12:42 am »
I have the Signature Platinum modded 3910, and had a Platinum modded 999ES prior to that.  I am sending the 3910 in soon to have the ps tube rectified.

The Modwright highly modded 3910 is an incredible machine that bests the stock player by 80%, that is to say it sounds nothing like it.  It is detailed and resolving, yet has a smoothness that has to be heard.  It is that smooth analog quality (sorry, trite I know, but can't think of anything else to describe it, and the OP is desperate for opinions) that had me hooked on the 999ES and then the 3910 takes it 10-20% farther.  I haven't heard the tube-rec'd ps, but can't wait to live with it.  Also, one can go the Wayne Donnelly route and plug in expensive Bendix 6900 tubes and live the high life. 

I use the 3910 for all my spinning disc needs , especially SACD and DVD-Audio, both 2 channel (tube modded) and mch (slightly modded with newer op amps).  It is also my redbook benchmark and is what I'm trying to replicate with a Slim Devices solution.  Right now I'm only 50% of the way there with a RWA-modded SB3, a Monarchy DIP Upsampler, into an Ack Dack.  The remaining 50% +  (can always dream) will be likely solved via Dan's Transporter mods!!   The 3910 has set a very high bar for redbook, but I'm so use to the convenience of the SB3 that I only use it for those special times when those special cd's I must hear in all their glory.

I would highly recommend any of Dan's work.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2007, 04:13 am by ted_b »

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2007, 02:13 am »
Dan,

Pardon me, I'm new from around here... :-)

Many thanks for your comments -- just the sort of things I was looking for -- realizing they are subjective of course, but it's appreciated anyway.

I've heard various modwright things at RMAF over the past 3 years and they always impressed me, so it's not the quality of workmanship or anything like that, and if I weren't very serious about doing this I wouldn't be taking up space here.  Wh is all to say that your comments are just what I was looking for.  I've heard a stock 999, but it's been a while, and I'm sure bears little resemblance to the modded version.  I've owned an Audio Note CD2.1, an Audio Aero Capitole Mk. II/SE, an Onix CD-3 and a stock Denon 2910/, but I had an opportunity to get a 3910 very lightly used at a great price and since my wife would like to be able to watch movies, a multiplayer had to be part of the system.

The 3910 will be sharing digital source duties with a Bolder Statement level modded SB3 and Ultimate PS, so once they are both here and settled in, I will be able to judge for myself how they compare.  The SB3 will certaainly have the convenience factor and the 3910 the more universal (in terms of formats) abilities, so I'm sure they will both get plenty of use.  Even if the Statement SB3 knocks the socks off everything else, I'm still not ready to go without a spinner for auditioning new CDs, as well as movies, SACDs, etc.

Thanks again,

Jim

Eric

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2007, 05:53 pm »
I have the 3910 with the tube rectified ps and concur with Ted's comments