Any audiophile mods for the Apple TV?

slow_down

Any audiophile mods for the Apple TV?
« on: 13 Aug 2007, 01:17 pm »
Does anyone know if the Apple TV has any potential as an audiophile grade source?  I haven't found any modding information on it on this board or elsewhere.

Nick B

Re: Any audiophile mods for the Apple TV?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2007, 05:48 pm »
The only mod I've ever seen is exchanging the hard drive. http://www.powermax.com/appletv-take-apart.php

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2007, 07:09 pm »
The Apple TV is a glorified router that only streams iTunes content to a TV and/or audio system. Even if there were any "audiophile" mods, they would be wasted on the compressed MP3 and AAC files most people use.

slow_down

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2007, 07:17 pm »
Thanks for the responses. 

dB Cooper, I'm not so sure about your criticism of the apple tv. I am pretty sure that the apple tv already has - or will be soon - hacked to stream/play just about every format on the planet.   And I'm sure more hacks are on the way - the baby has a celeron cpu in it and probably has enough processing power to do lots of fun/interesting things.  And straight out of the box it already can stream/play apple lossless, which is a format that some audiophiles seem to have embraced to a certain extent.

And assuming you have a HD screen (which apparently is a requirement), what a beautiful way to browse and play though your collection!  Cover Flow or whatever it's called looks great from the screenshots I've seen.

What I haven't been able to find is any detailed exploration of its audio internals, which I would suspect are probably barely OK and nothing more.

Crimson

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2007, 11:15 pm »
What I haven't been able to find is any detailed exploration of its audio internals, which I would suspect are probably barely OK and nothing more.

Don't know much about the internals, and agree with your assumption. Just go optical out to the dac of your choice. That's what I'm doing. I am waiting, though, for the ability to use the USB port on the unit for audio.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2007, 04:24 am »
Thanks for the responses. 

dB Cooper, I'm not so sure about your criticism of the apple tv. I am pretty sure that the apple tv already has - or will be soon - hacked to stream/play just about every format on the planet.   And I'm sure more hacks are on the way - the baby has a celeron cpu in it and probably has enough processing power to do lots of fun/interesting things.

Well, sure, but not everyone is going to have the tech savvy to to get that far under the hood, or be willing to void their warranty in the process.
And straight out of the box it already can stream/play apple lossless, which is a format that some audiophiles seem to have embraced to a certain extent.
True, but Apple Lossless is supported only by iTunes. I want to be able to stream any audio on my computer. from any app. And I want to be able to record video. Then I'll think about it. I work in an Apple store btw, and apart from the early adopter and fanboy types, nobody's buying them. Can't remember the last time I saw one go out the door.
And assuming you have a HD screen (which apparently is a requirement), what a beautiful way to browse and play though your collection!  Cover Flow or whatever it's called looks great from the screenshots I've seen.

Dirty little secret: The component vid outputs work with conventional TVs.
That's likely true also.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2007, 06:29 am »
True, but Apple Lossless is supported only by iTunes.

Which isn't a hardship at all to many of us. Nothing but Macs around here so iTunes & Apple Lossless works great.

I consider the appleTV to be more like a stripped MacMini,,, it is an inexpensive alternative to buying a MacMini as a dedicated conduit for content to your A/V system.

Apple really needs to enhance its capabilities before it is going to be really useful beyond streaming music or surfing uTube. DVR capability & the ability to get a DVD onto and out of it really are needed,

dave