Piccolo lesson: The DC Jack

Bill Epstein

Piccolo lesson: The DC Jack
« on: 8 Aug 2007, 03:35 pm »
No matter how I fooled with the DC jack legs I couldn't get it to stay put while I attached the nut.

Set it in the hole, tightened the nut, jack comes loose.

Set it in the hole with the legs spread out, tightened the nut, jack came loose. :?

Clipped a hemostat to one leg from underneath, tightened the nut, %#@&! jack came out.

Finally, I laid a straight edge across the switches and gauged the height of the jack from that and soldered it in place. aa

analog97

Re: Piccolo lesson: The DC Jack
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2007, 03:46 pm »
Bill,

I just built a Piccolo.  I soldered the DC jack in place first, thinking this was the correct thing to do.  Then, I had no problems with it.  I did not re-read the directions, but maybe you misinterpreted?  Or, maybe I just got LUCKY!!

Bill Epstein

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2007, 04:08 pm »
Yeah, there's a whole riff about using the jack to set the height of every other protuberance.

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2007, 08:22 pm »
I recently discovered that the rotary switches from DigiKey are about 1/30 of an inch taller than the ones I buy from Mouser.  Hence, there is a slight misfit on the dc power jack.  I'm going to include a washer on future half-kits to make installation easier.  This fits nicer and gives you a little more terminal length to solder onto the circuit board. 

jh