When do you think synergy has occured?

Affordable$$Audio

When do you think synergy has occured?
« on: 8 Aug 2007, 02:50 am »
The biggest buzz word in audio right now is synergy.  The definition we all seem to have similar general explanation.  But when do you know that your system has hit that sweet spot of synergy? 

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2007, 08:56 pm by Affordable$$Audio »

Mag

Re: When do you synergy has occured?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2007, 03:32 am »
Synergy is when you've reached the optimal sound your equipment is capable of.
When and if you do find synergy you'll be smiling from ear to ear saying, "damn that sounds good !!"

Airborn

« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2007, 06:58 am »
When the sum of the various components work together to produce better sound than each component individually when used with different equipment. I find this most apparent with vinyl; for example, some cartridge, arm, TT combos work well and others don't. However, the same cart on a different tonearm or TT sounds much worse.

Zero

« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2007, 07:41 am »
There's some good definitions here, I will throw in my own; Synergy is when two or more items compliment one another.

The realization of synergy requires thorough understanding of possibilities, capabilities, and character.

gongos

« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2007, 01:47 pm »
When there's a wet spot in your pants.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2007, 02:03 pm »
A bottle of wine with dinner followed by music with a glass of brandy never fails to get me there.  Synergy in music is when your music and your state of mind melds to create euphoria.  I believe one can get there by many different roads: you can tweak your gear or you can tweak your mind.:lol: Me, I am a greedy bastard and work on both ends.  :wink:  Pick your own poison(s).  :thumb:

soundbitten1

Re: When do you think synergy has occured?
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2007, 01:48 am »
It occurs when you're not wondering when it will occur .

ThomDP

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2007, 02:10 am »
When you have goosebumps
When you rediscover your CD/LP collection and stay up all ours of the night.
When you forget about your equip and listen to the music.
Whe you go to be with a smile.

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2007, 02:21 am »
When you have no further urge to upgrade or inclination to try something new but are quite satisfied just listening to music!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2007, 02:52 am »
When you have goosebumps
When you rediscover your CD/LP collection and stay up all ours of the night.
When you forget about your equip and listen to the music.
Whe you go to be with a smile.

Nope, this can happen with new component uprades which is why we usually can't stop. We want to see if we can get the goosebumps bigger.

When you have no further urge to upgrade or inclination to try something new but are quite satisfied just listening to music!

Yep, that's it!   :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:05 am »
A bottle of wine with dinner followed by music with a glass of brandy never fails to get me there.  Synergy in music is when your music and your state of mind melds to create euphoria.  I believe one can get there by many different roads: you can tweak your gear or you can tweak your mind.:lol: Me, I am a greedy bastard and work on both ends.  :wink:  Pick your own poison(s).  :thumb:

You live well dude, you live well. It's all about balance.  :beer:

Cheers

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:09 am »
When you are finally happy with it.  When you don't sit on the couch or in
your chair and long for more...

After 30 years, I'm there, but it's been a LONG journey indeed!

But it's plenty of fun along the way too!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:13 am »
So Jeff, are you saying you are no longer looking at potential new pieces to introduce into your system? Even as a reviewer? I'm not doubting you, just curious how one could be "done" with so much coming across the table all the time.

audioferret

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:45 am »
When you credit card rejects the purchase.

8)

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2007, 03:49 am »
So Jeff, are you saying you are no longer looking at potential new pieces to introduce into your system? Even as a reviewer? I'm not doubting you, just curious how one could be "done" with so much coming across the table all the time.

Well, a big part of it is what to consider a reference.  Part of a reference system is just that.  I am trying to have equipment that I am intimately familiar with, that also strikes a balance of musicality and resolution.  I am also trying to have a reference system that probably outperforms at least about 80 percent of the gear I will ever review.  That way when something comes in that is clearly a cut above, I have no problem saying that said piece outperformed my references, unlike some of the other reviewers that always have a new best!

I thought I was done with my digital front end when I bought the Meridian 808 last year, but the new Naim CD555 is clearly a big jump, so I sold a few things (including one of my BMW's) to put my hands on it because it was that good.  As for the rest, I haven't heard anything I like better than my CJ ACT2 or premier 350.  I've heard some things that I've liked as much or sounded different, and that's my job, to give you the experience, not pass judgement on what's better or not.

THere is something new in the works from CJ, but I can't talk about it.  When it's done and it gets here, you never know.
I've listened to the ART3 and it is a couple of clicks better than my ACT 2/series 2, but I just cant go there and I don't want
to replace all those tubes!  The four in the ACT 2 are just right.

Does that help a bit?

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2007, 04:08 am »
You know Jeff is serious when he sells one of his beloved BMW's!!! I believe one of his offspring is nearing driving age, so it may have been out of self defense.

I'm still working my way up on my main rig.  What I currently have will become my second rig eventually just because I like the synergy I've created.  It will still be a reference rig.  I'm trying to decided whether a turntable or DAC should be next on my list.  Maybe Jeff will have another fire sale soon, as I'm thoroughly enjoying the modded Jolida cd player he sold me.

As for me and synergy, it's when I can get easily lost in the music and lose track of time and honey-do's.

TONEPUB

« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2007, 05:43 am »
here here to that!

Gaara

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2007, 12:48 pm »
There's some good definitions here, I will throw in my own; Synergy is when two or more items compliment one another.

The realization of synergy requires thorough understanding of possibilities, capabilities, and character.

I agree with Zero.  I personally feel that synergy occurs when components just kinda "click".  I have heard it a few times with various component choices, usually when a amp works really well with a certain set of speakers.  Everything else in the system must compliment the synergy as well though, or else you may never attain what you are looking for.

For me the easiest way to find synergy is to try different components.  I tried a lot of amps with my Gallos and some sounded good, some not so good, and one pair of monos that everything just seemed right.  Those are the ones I kept.

Jared

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2007, 02:28 pm »

Well, a big part of it is what to consider a reference.  Part of a reference system is just that.  I am trying to have equipment that I am intimately familiar with, that also strikes a balance of musicality and resolution.  I am also trying to have a reference system that probably outperforms at least about 80 percent of the gear I will ever review.  That way when something comes in that is clearly a cut above, I have no problem saying that said piece outperformed my references, unlike some of the other reviewers that always have a new best!

I thought I was done with my digital front end when I bought the Meridian 808 last year, but the new Naim CD555 is clearly a big jump, so I sold a few things (including one of my BMW's) to put my hands on it because it was that good.  As for the rest, I haven't heard anything I like better than my CJ ACT2 or premier 350.  I've heard some things that I've liked as much or sounded different, and that's my job, to give you the experience, not pass judgement on what's better or not.

THere is something new in the works from CJ, but I can't talk about it.  When it's done and it gets here, you never know.
I've listened to the ART3 and it is a couple of clicks better than my ACT 2/series 2, but I just cant go there and I don't want
to replace all those tubes!  The four in the ACT 2 are just right.

Does that help a bit?

Jeff,

PM me when you are ready to ditch the Act 2.  aa

TONEPUB

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2007, 04:41 pm »
That ACT2 will probably get buried with me...

But I do have a mint Aesthetix Callisto Signature that I'm going to be selling any day now
if you are interested.  Being all tube, it has just a touch more of that 3D "reach out and
touch it ness" that the ACT 2 does not.  And we are splitting hairs here...

However the ACT 2 has more dynamics and a remote control.  Again, it's so close between
the two, it's like saying do you want the standard Porsche turbo, or do you want the
lighter GT 3?  Both are world class.

With the seperate power supply its a monster and but it is a fantastic piece of gear!

I just dont have the space for two of these, and to finance the CD555, a few things
that weren't getting a lot of use had to go.  I will always miss the Callisto.  It too
is one of the nicest preamps I've ever heard.

But I can't burn 22 tubes 10 hours a day!  I'd rather see it go to a great home.

Let me know if you are interested.