Anybody Have Trouble Ripping Five For Fighting?

Scott F.

Anybody Have Trouble Ripping Five For Fighting?
« on: 4 Aug 2007, 01:46 am »
This is a weird one. Today I picked up a bunch of new music and I was ripping them to my library in EAC. No problems ripping any of the music until I hit this disc. Just to give you an idea, I typically use my Samsung CD/DVD drive to rip with. It usually dispatches with a CD in about 5 minutes. If I have trouble reading one, I'll slide it into my Sony DRU-530A. It soesn't rip quite as fast but it always works as a last resort.

So I slide Five For Fighting, The Battle For Everything into the Samsung drive and it didn't recognize that threre was a disc in the drive. No biggie, thats happened before so I slid it into the Sony Drive. It recognized it (eventually) and even brought up the album and artist from the database. Then I went to rip it. For starters it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to spin up the disc. And then it took even longer to TRY to rip it. I keep getting sync errors without any luck of getting it transferred. Strange part is, EAC lets me play it as a standard CD. It's a little jerky and has dropouts, but it plays. Winamp and WMP10 recognize it also.

Now, I just tried ripping it using WMP10 in lossless format and it locks up there too.

I checked to make sure there weren't any resource conflicts (ie; two music players trying to play it at the same time) and I didn't see anything. I also looked at the CD to make sure it wasn't one that is enhanced and I only saw the CDA files, no autorun's or any other files. I also rebooted the machine (a couple of times), still no luck. Oh, I should mention that EAC didn't show any DRM files either (they usually show up).

I guess my next step is to make a copy on my old school Philips dual deck CD recorder and then bring that disc back up and try to rip it again.

Anybody have any ideas about whats going on with this CD?

PS, just to make sure that is the disc and not my computer, I just ripped an Eddie Money Greatest Hits CD and everything worked just fine. That means its the FFF disc.

bprice2

Re: Anybody Have Trouble Ripping Five For Fighting?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Aug 2007, 06:16 pm »
It sounds like you have the DualDisc version.  I notice on Amazon that the album you're having problems with comes in CD and DualDisc.  DualDisc can cause problems for some disk drives.

Scott F.

Re: Anybody Have Trouble Ripping Five For Fighting?
« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2007, 07:17 pm »
I just checked and it isn't the dual disc version. What I ended up doing was using Nero to copy it to a recordable CD (that took about 25 minutes in place of the normal 4-5 minutes). Then I used the CDR to rip it to my music library. This time it ripped just as quick as the rest of my discs. Strange  :scratch: There must be some sort of piracy protection on the disc that Windows doesn't see as a file.