DIY Cabling for XRS / Trends System

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
DIY Cabling for XRS / Trends System
« on: 3 Aug 2007, 05:58 pm »
Hi. I just set up an Omega XRS / Trends system, and would like to build some cabling for it. I am an engineering student, so time and money are both in short supply. I am selling my SS amp and Mirage bipolar towers for this system. I have searched this board for information, but still would like some specific recommendations.

Speaker Cable:

Current: cat5 cable, one 27 pair, one 9 pair with Eichmann bannanas on one end and Vampire spades on the other. These were used to bi-amp my Mirage speakers.

Proposed: DNM style ribbon cable with Neotech 18-ga hook-up wire.

I am considering using clear packing tape to seperate the wires. The Neotech wire comes in a pvc jacket. Should I strip the pvc and replace it with Teflon piping or just enclose the bare wire in packing tape? Are spade terminals worth it or should I just use bare wire? I have Mapleshade silver grease to keep the wire termination from oxidizing. I also have high purity 20 ga enamel-insulated magnet wire, is the Neotech wire going to be worth buying?

Interconnects:  I need DAC --> Pre and Pre --> Amp ICs

Current: Zu coax IC and a Vampire IC with the braided Cu shield.

Proposed: DNM style ribbon IC using Jupiter cotton-insulated 28 ga silver wire, clear packing tape to seperate the wires, and Eichmann Cu plugs for both interconnects.

Suggestions wanted! Refinements to my idea or completely different ideas are welcome. Thanks!