Attitudes of dealers/manufactures at Audio Circle

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Attitudes of dealers/manufactures at Audio Circle
« on: 30 Jul 2007, 04:57 pm »
In light of another discussion going on elsewhere in Audio Circle, I have received a few phone calls/emails asking me if I felt the same way. I first want to say that the people who contacted me were some of my customers or regular acquaintance who were simply curious and in no way rude. In fact, they were very enjoyable conversations. I am starting this thread simply so others can hear my thoughts publicaly on the subject.

This topic has been raised before here at AC and primarily is about whether or not dealers/manufacturers feel like AC is a waste of time.

Okay, where to begin? I have been a member with AC since the early days. Yes, I do have a circle here and do post product information. Sometimes it pays off while other times it produces nothing in the way of sales. Does this bother me? Absolutely not. Do I feel like I am wasting my time? Again...no. It depends on your expectations and reasons for being here I guess. I too receive a LOT of PM's, phone calls and emails about our products from AC members with very few of them resulting in sales just as I receive numerous inquiries everyday from those who have never heard of AC. Does it get frustrating spending hours upon hours with a potential customer only to have them go elsewhere.... well, yes. Being a modifier, I get daily phone calls from DIY'ers on how to modify their own gear. This also becomes frustrating and time consuming to the point where you cannot always cater to their needs.

The way I look at this is that it is part of doing business. Being a business owner has an infinite learning curve. You learn and figure out new things everyday. Patience is key, especially in such a tricky industry as audio. Like some of the other dealers/manufactures here, Response Audio is by no means a household name and I am not naive enough to believe it ever will be. I don't expect every inquiry to turn into a sale. In fact if 2-3% became sales, I feel good about it. Another way to look at it is that even if no sale comes about, at least your name and product are now in the head(s) of those you speak with. You may never hear from them again or they may continue to gain interest in your product and come back down the road. I have had quite a few who have contacted me to tell me they have been "following" certain threads and/or products on AC and now want to discuss it further.

For myself, I come to AC to hang out and discuss things audio (and non-audio alike) with the many 'friends' I have developed relationships with over the years of being a part of AC. Some of the people I communicate with the most are not and never have been a customer of mine but I do consider them friends even though we have never met in person.  I like being a part of AC and have spent many late nights (my wife works evenings till midnight) just hanging out on AC after the children are in bed. Sometimes I even learn something  :green: It's better than staring at the TV all night. Even dealers, manufacturers, distributors like to discuss audio as just another audio buddy but we will always wear the title of a commercial member. Some of my customers were already customers that came to AC, some became customers from AC and some may become customers in the future but a good portion of them will never spend money with me but I realize if I treat them right and with respect, they may refer me to their buddies who may become potential customers in the future. At the very least, a new acquaintance has been made. :D It's about not burning your bridges.

I realize there are a lot of AC members that are DIY'ers and they too have some great ideas to share while on the other end of the scale are those who don't have the time or desire to build their own gear. Some are very cheap (and have admitted it so don't yell at me :nono:) while others know what they want and don't mind paying for it. With over 8000 members, Audio Circle is a melting pot of all types just like any online forum. We as dealers, manufacturers, DIY'ers and plain 'ole audiophools simply have to respect the thoughts, theories and opinions of others whether we agree or not. There will always be debates, even fights among each other  :argue: buy hey, that's just human nature.

I still feel Audio Circle does a good job of maintaining a down to earth place for many to share their passion in audio.

:wink:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Attitudes of dealers/manufactures at Audio Circle
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:18 pm »
Well said, Bill.  I know you have helped me a great deal...starting with how to bias a 6550-based, Chinese-made, 'New Generations'-brand poweramp...and I consider you a friend.

The efforts you make to build good relationships do pay off in the long run, something some of the dealers in the Phoenix area seem NOT to realize.

I'm glad you're here.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:25 pm »
Thank you Jeffrey, the feeling is mutual. You are one of those I have spent quite a bit of time with via emails and/or phone calls sharing ideas. Whether or not others want to admit it, dealers/manufactures/modifiers actually do get some great ideas and different approaches from DIY'ers and other manufacturers. It's always good to get a different perspective on things from the outside.

Even if someone does not post on a given thread, you can bet they are soaking in the information :wink:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:39 pm »
Bill,

What a gentleman you are.

I don't post much here on AC and I haven't even bought anything from you but, as I said once previously, we need more people such as yourself. :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:45 pm »
Damn.   :evil:

I realize now that I have been such an easy sale.  F'ck' n A..........  No more.  :cuss:
I tell you.  I am never going to buy a damned thing from any AC manufacturer without making them earn it.  That's right.  Thank you, B.S.  I now see the error of doing things my way. 
From now on I want a minute of your time per every dollar I spend. :rules:
That's right -- 1 minute per $1.00. 
You owe me some minutes Bill.   8)  :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2007, 01:49 am by woodsyi »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:49 pm »
Rim, You forget so soon, I already have your money :thumb:
give me a call, I'll give you 5 minutes :lol:
 You know I'm just kidding.

Hugh, thank you for the kind words.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:52 pm »
Damn.   :evil:

I realize now that I have been such an easy sale.  F'ck' n A..........  No more.  :cuss:
I tell you.  I am never going to buy a damned thing from any AC manufacturers without make them earn it.  That's right.  Thank you, B.S.  I now see the error of doing things my way. 
From now on I want a minute of your time per every dollar I spend. :rules:
That's right -- 1 minute per $1.00. 
You owe me some minutes Bill.   8)  :lol: :lol:

Nails for breakfast there woodsyi?   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2007, 06:07 pm »
I think that if your always focused upon what is profitable, every minute of the day, you loose some perspective.   

On the other hand.... being unprofitable isn't much of an option.   You have to find a middle-ground someplace and in the process not be rude and disrespectful to people.   

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2007, 06:46 pm »
I think both among the biggest reasons for failure of any business is...

1.  Underappreciation of the time vs. money paradigm

and

2.  Over-reliance of money as the prime motivator for success

The pragmatists lose when they don't have control of the bottom line...and the materialists lose 'cause they focus too much energies on money instead of doing the right thing.

I'm mostly a materialist - that has learned over time that this is most often the wrong path to follow :nono: for me.  Somewhere in between is the sweet spot  :)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2007, 06:47 pm »
On the other hand.... being unprofitable isn't much of an option.   You have to find a middle-ground someplace and in the process not be rude and disrespectful to people.

Exactly. I enjoy what I do and feel if you loose the passion for what you do then it simply becomes just a job. There are plenty of "jobs" out there that would be MUCH easier than running a business. I'm not rich by any means and if I didn't like doing what I do, I could probably make more money in a different field. One thing I am is content and working within my personal comfort zone.
 There has to be balance though as it does have to put food on the table and a roof over my family's head but at the same time, make enough money to make it worth the time and hard work involved.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2007, 06:59 pm »
There is a lack of understanding on many customer's part whereby they don't really understand the value of what they are asking of you.    I think largely its a misunderstanding.   Most customers don't run a business and they don't understand when they are encroaching upon your ability to keep things rolling.

Once in awhile though you get one that knows they are being unreasonable and still cannot help themselves.   I had a guy who told me up front,  "I know I'm hard to please and difficult to work with, but I want you to do XYZ still."   At that point I tried to give him your phone number Bill but he wouldn't take it.   :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2007, 07:08 pm »
Most customers don't run a business and they don't understand when they are encroaching upon your ability to keep things rolling.

I do think it is a matter of not realizing how valuable time is. Especially for a smaller company. I have never asked for any compensation for my time but still there have been a few consumers that felt it appropriate to send in a check after spending considerable time with them on the phone.  In a situation like this, when you open an envelope with a check in it and a short note saying "thank you for your time", it puts a smile on your face. Not because of the money but because it shows that there are still some out there that due appreciate your time and knowledge.

Once in awhile though you get one that knows they are being unreasonable and still cannot help themselves.   I had a guy who told me up front,  "I know I'm hard to please and difficult to work with, but I want you to do XYZ still."   At that point I tried to give him your phone number Bill but he wouldn't take it.

Thanks for that Kevin......... I think :scratch:

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2007, 01:30 am »
Bill,

You have always been great at responding to my questions even though I haven't spent a nickel with you yet, and I do sincerely appreciate that.  I've had two very negative experiences in the past 2 weeks with audio dealers/modifiers (neither of which is an
AC member) and I can assure you they will never get anymore business or recommendations from me.  I have sent some folks in your direction because of your willingness to listen and the excellence of your products but I don't know if they've ever contacted you or bought anything (yet).

I'm pretty confident it will pay off when the time is right though and a pair of tall red speakers will most likely be coming your way once the funds are available -- which they will, sooner or later.

So again, thanks for the time you've given me and I do hope to make it worth it as soon as I can.

-- Jim

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2007, 07:16 pm »
Hi Jim,
 Like anyone else, the referrals are greatly appreciated. Response Audio has relied on referrals since day one. It might take a while to get to that point and is probably the slowest form of gaining exposure but it usually proves to be the best. Not everyone wants to buy a product based on a $5,000 a month glossy ad in an upscale magazine (just as not all of us can afford to advertise that way).

When you're ready for the "speaker thing", let me know. I take care of Audio Circle members aa

mcullinan

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2007, 07:29 pm »
Word of mouth is the most powerful form of advertising! I know when I have a great experience somewhere and someone goes out of there way for me, I remember it. Countless times Ive mentioned these outstanding folks in conversation to others which no doubt makes for good business.
Mike