Do you guys care about extras?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 26 Aug 2003, 12:31 am »
I may be in the minority, but I rarely give a rats ass about "supplemental material."  Only deleted scenes usually interest me, or maybe behind the scenes stuff if a favorite film or actor is involved.  I'd rather have me teeth pulled without anesthetic than listen to droning directors commentary; normally it's just masterbatory back slapping anyway.  

I'd much rather have see all discs use that space for picture and sound a la the SuperBit line and leave the cheesey extras off.  There are some exceptions, but again I mostly just wanna see the film.

Comments?  Opinions?

dogberry

« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2003, 01:17 am »
I typically agree, and rarely even bother to look at the Special Features.  I don't usually care about deleted scenes.  Sometimes--upon other's recommendations--the gag reel/outtakes are funny.

I do like some commentaries.  The ones on the Criterion collection (Rashomon, for example) are usually very good, often scholarly, and for some films, that's appropriate, and interesting--to me.

A few directors are almost always interesting, again, to me.  Like Soderbergh and Robert Rodriguez (Traffic/Limey and Desperado, respectively).  John Waters is always funny and gave my all time favorite commentary for Pecker.

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2003, 01:39 am »
Ditto... I much prefer that the space be devoted to having a higher video bitrate.  Oh yea thats what Superbits are for!

Actually I did like the stuff on the Extended edition of LOTR though.... lots of it too.

Sa-dono

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2003, 03:23 am »
I could care less usually. Especially those super long extras that take almost as long to go through as the movie.

BOK

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2003, 06:09 am »
Ditto about absolutely no interest in extras.  Give us the higher bitrate for audio and video.

BOK

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2003, 11:42 am »
no  :|

Zanth

« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2003, 08:55 pm »
Although I'm in agreement...rarely do I watch the extras...we here are sadly in the minority.  "Two disc with 5 zillion hours of extras just for you and your family!  All for the uber low price of 19.99!  That's less than the movie soundtrack!"

Speaking about soundtracks...the special edition of Fight Club came with it...I was quite happy with that idea.  Hook me up with the soundtrack to each film!

Mathew_M

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2003, 09:45 pm »
I'm a big fan of documentaries.  If done right and it's not one of those 'press junket' style ones then they can be fairly entertaining.  Of course it takes a certain appreciation for the art and craft of filmmaking.  I thought the 1 hour long makings of both Magnolia and The Phantom Menace were more intriguing than the films themselves.  I agree about Director Commentaries though.  Most of them are un-eventful. Never sit through one given by Tim Burton...ugh.  However there are some gems out there.  Its just so over done now.  Ditto deleted scenes.

John Bauder

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2003, 11:56 pm »
The one thing that I do like is information about the cast.  I never watch the trailers.  I really enjoyed the cast interviews on Grease - probably for the nostalga.

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2003, 11:45 am »
I still stand by my answer above, but I did pop in The Wall last night and watched the extras instead of the movie.  I've owned the DVD for a few years but never watched the extras.  Quite remarkable.

Dean

« Reply #10 on: 10 Oct 2003, 01:07 am »
My favourite extra are an isolated 5.1 score, commentaries, making of,  and music videos. That's about it most of the time.