Timepiece Mini --- HURRY --- TIME IS RUNNING OUT --- ONLY 3 DAYS LEFT!!!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
OK Friends,

I guess its time to stick a fork in it – its done.  I’d say this thread has about run its coarse, I’ve pretty much said my piece - and made a fool of myself in the process.  Before we wrap it up though, I’m gonna try one last time to make my original point - stupid as it may be.  A number of you seem to still be missing it a little.  That’s OK though, it’s the byproduct of the communication format.  Were we speaking face to face or even on the phone, I think everybody would be a lot clearer on what I’ve been trying to say.  Then...I would have gotten a "wake up call" from you all that I could understand and most of this would have been avoided.

I feel the need to make clear that as an overall marketing strategy, anybody that were to expect AudioCircle (or any other forum for that matter) to be the long-term primary target of their marketing efforts, would be rather foolish in my opinion.  I have never “planned” on simply expecting future sales to be primarily derived from AC…or any other forum.  The fact is that with the limited resources we’ve had, the orders that have resulted from AC up until know have been pretty sufficient to keep us busy.  So…it made little sense to pursue other marketing alternatives.  If you’re having a hard time keeping up with what you have, what sense does it make to pursue more?

That being the case, I have been “at liberty” to expend whatever marketing efforts we do make, solely on our circle here at AC.  That has given me the opportunity to expound ad-infinitum on answers to the questions and inquiries that we have received here.  I could have diversified to other forums, and on occasion have posted elsewhere, but I’ve always liked the atmosphere here so I simply decided to pretty much “stay put.”  AC was the first to give us a “home” and I guess I tend to be a “home-body.”

Well…”home is where the heart is” they say, and so it has been true with me.  In that I have developed a true fondness for all of the folks here – even the ones that don’t “get my points” and get angry.  I suppose it’s nobody’s business, but the fact is that about the only family I have is my wife and my kids – lost my parents when I was a young teenager and all brothers and sister are 15+ years older and “halfs” from my folk’s previous marriages.  As such I was always the “black sheep” that nobody claimed, such that to this day, two of my brothers live right here in the area and I haven’t even seen them in years.

So when I say, “AC is like a family” I guess I mean that a little more literally than what most might interpret.  Screwed up or not, that’s me.  Through this forum and the people I have met, both customers and otherwise, I have come to know some of the nicest people one could ever hope.  I have made what I consider to be, within the limitations implicit therein, some of what I consider to be…very sincere friends.

You see, I didn’t start SP Technology to get rich – it’s the byproduct of a passion.  Speakers to get rich? HA!  You have to be kidding.  It’s just something that I am gifted in and figured I could do to make a living that would keep me out of the steel mills or whatever.  The main emphasis for me though has never been just to build the worlds greatest speakers and then be heralded as some kind of guru, parading around like a big shot and all.  It’s always been about the people.

Before he died and especially after, I learned one thing for certain from my dad.  He owned a little country grocery store that for its size had a tremendous customer base.  Folks from miles around would come to “Doc Smith’s store” to buy their groceries.  It was a true General Store from the old days too.  Besides being an excellent butcher known for his quality meat, he sold everything from hardware to boots, cloths, toys, gasoline…you name it.  His motto was, “”Everything in General.”  We even had a soda fountain that sold ice cream, pop and candy.  As soon as I was old enough to count change, I started waiting on local kids and others myself.  Not only did I learn to “meet the public” by “doing,” but also I watched him in action on a daily basis.

He had an enormous amount of business beyond what you would think for a community that size, and a big part of that was because of his big heart.  He would extend credit to those that didn’t have money for food and through the years, helped many people to survive.  Years later after he passed, I was working in a factory alongside an older guy for over a year.  One day in passing I mentioned my background and my dad.  This guy said, “My God…you’re Doc Smith’s kid?  Why if it wasn’t for him, my family would have starved to death our first year moving up from Kentucky!”  After his death we found out that so many people owed him money for groceries that each of his 4 heirs (myself being one) would have netted another $10K each, were it possible to collect on it – which of course we never did.

The thing that really hit me was that at his funeral, he received so many flowers that they had to open a second funeral parlor just to have room for them all – and these were big rooms to begin with.  Even that wasn’t enough as the flowers were spilling over into the hallways…wherever they could find a place to put them.  The procession to the cemetery was at least a mile long and you’d have thought a senator or someone had died.

So…I guess you could say that I learned the value of relationships at a very young age.  No man could ask for a greater legacy to leave behind than he did – as small as that community may have been.  I guess that’s why I have been the way I’ve been around here and done what I could to help others, as much as having done so to run a business.  My dad has been a tough act to follow.

Forward to the present, as I stated at the very beginning, I’ve heard numerous comments and even had many requests for a smaller, cheaper, nicer looking speaker.  Considering my nature, I wanted to produce the Mini for those folks almost as much to make them happy as to sell them.  As an overall marketing strategy?.. No - but to the “family” specifically here at AC?  Yes.  I was virtually certain that you guys would love them and got a kick out of the idea that some of you could finally have a real chance at owning our stuff – as I’ve been lead to believe that the desire has been there in many for a long time now…just not the means.  All I was really hoping for was 2 or 3 guys, the ones that have been wishing and waiting all along.  I was never specifically certain who they were, but I “knew” they had to be out there from all of the comments I’ve received over the years.

But now the point looks to be moot.  At the time of my original posting I wasn’t aware of the fact that bbchem was the active member of AC that he now appears to be.  He commented in his e-mails that he was familiar with AC, but at the time I had never seen his moniker before and thought he was mostly just a “visitor.”  Seeing that’s not the case, when you add his name along with the other customer from here, it looks like my goal has been met.  2 AC members will now own the Minis – yahoo!

As far as the PM issue goes, it’s simply a matter of efficiency.  I’ve “grown up” a little now and have adjusted my expectations of AC accordingly.  You know the old adage, “once bitten twice shy.”  Well, that doesn’t exactly apply as I set myself up to be let down, but it’s sort of the general idea.  I guess I’ve allowed myself to become maybe a little “too friendly” such that my expectations of “family” were a little unrealistic. 

OK…call me the fool. :oops: Bob needs to get a life.  I’m still going to do all I can to help you guys, but I need to modify the level of my offerings as well as my expectations a little, and bring them in line with the facts of the real world.  Altruistic goals and expectations are nice, but they need to be brought into line with the world as it is.  Dreamers like Jesus, Gandhi and John Lennon have their place, but they pay the price too.  I do my best to be a nice guy, but after all, nobody has ever asked or expected me to cut myself and bleed for them to begin with.  That was my head-trip and my fault – nobody else’s. :roll: Sorry guys, I didn’t mean to lay a guilt trip on anyone. :duh: Thanks for the interest and your business.  If there’s anything I can do to help in the future, just let me know – publicly if you don’t mind.

Thanks, :D
-Bob

TheChairGuy

Vintage SP Pres  :thumb:

Zero

Bob,

The price increase on the Mini is not going to be drastic. In time, many more folks will own those tiny tots. Meanwhile, tonight the glass will be tipped for your old man. Cheers.

doug s.

• makin' music
bob, i think your initial post turned off a lot of folks, cuz of your stating that you think it might be a waste of time participating here, & then backing it up w/comments from other un-named mfr's.  all the other points, from you & others, are well-known, imo - that this site generates interest in other places, that you have to know how to best spend your efforts answering questions, etc...  it seems you have realized this, by your last post.   8)

and, furthermore, you (and all the other mfr's) need to be aware that this site, originally started as harmonic discord, was founded to be an alternative to conwentional audiophile wisdom that says throwing large sums of money at your rig, is the key.  this site had "cheapskate" written all over it, from its inception!  everyone here wants to reach the holy grail in sonic reproduction for pennies!   :lol:

now, all you need to do is come up w/an m-t-m wersion of the mini, & even this anti-proselytizer may have to eat crow & try 'em...   aa

doug s.

mcullinan

bob,
I guess your initial reaction was one stemming from disappointment
there is great passion in your words an they are well meaning. Dont give up hope and all of us are misunderstood from time to time. Good luck... Wait until that awesome website is up! Hehe.
mike aa

bbchem

:icon_lol:

Doug S. I think you nailed it, for me I have used AC to get what I believed was an unbiased opinion about reasonable priced high end equipment. In fact I bought two other pair of loudspeakers from other manufacturers on AC, strictly going by what I read on AC! I first read about the SP TECH line on AC and saw Bob's  new Mini offering, I then just happened to see the Audiogon add later. From What I put together, $1350 for a pair of 38 pound beautiful looking  world class (one hopes) monitors in the scheme of things out there like the MAgico, Wilson, and umpteen other multi thousand dollar monitors is really a bargain in relative terms. That is if you can afford that much in the first place.  :thumb:

Double Ugly

now, all you need to do is come up w/an m-t-m wersion of the mini, & even this anti-proselytizer may have to eat crow & try 'em...   aa

Whatcha need with another driver, doug?  I think you underestimate what can be achieved with a properly designed 2-way, 2 driver speaker.

If you need to fill a larger room, I suggest a pair of Continuums might be just what the doctor ordered.  :wink:

-Jim

doug s.

• makin' music

Whatcha need with another driver, doug?  I think you underestimate what can be achieved with a properly designed 2-way, 2 driver speaker.

If you need to fill a larger room, I suggest a pair of Continuums might be just what the doctor ordered.  :wink:

-Jim
hi jim,

need?  what the freak does *need* have to do with any of this?   :lol:  i awready have speakers coming out of my *ears*

but, re: the mini's vs an m-t-m iteration of them - it's yust a way to optimize the implementation, imo.  yust as the continuum does w/the timepiece 2.1.  a mini-continuum for <$2k - i could get excited about that!   aa

doug s.

ps - w/a pair of meret re's, usher s520's, diapason adamantes lll's (f/s), proac tablette reference 8 signatures, among others, i am familiar w/what can be achieved w/a properly designed 2-way 2-driver speaker.   :wink:

Double Ugly

ps - w/a pair of meret re's, usher s520's, diapason adamantes lll's (f/s), proac tablette reference 8 signatures, among others, i am familiar w/what can be achieved w/a properly designed 2-way 2-driver speaker.   :wink:

Holy crap, doug! :o 

Are you engaged in a battle of equipment collecting to the death with Chris?

-Jim

doug s.

• makin' music
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
hey, at least the diapason's are f/s, so i am trying to get better, really i am!   :lol:  the meret's are cosmetically challenged, not sure i could sell them.  the s520's are so cheap i may as well keep 'em; & the proacs are yust too damn tiny, cute, & nice-sounding, for me to part w/'em.  i'd keep the diapason's too, for that matter, but i have too much cash tied up in 'em to yustify me keeping 'em.  yup, i guess i am certifiable...

doug s.

-Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

-Jim

doug has me beat Jim....I've only got one tuna....and no antenna.... :? :lol:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
Everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone involved and for staying in there with me through this one.  Sorry if I raised your blood pressure a little.  Hey, at least you know you’re still pumping blood!

Smargo, mca & yo2tup,

Are we cool now?  I didn’t leave but I nibbled on some crow.  I hope that will do cause I still kinda like it around here.

Nick B. & Rocket,

Thanks for your support guys…and your understanding.  Yeah, it’s tough being a manufacturer, but we asked for it!  What really makes it tough is playing dual roles, being a retailer on top of it.  I didn’t think that part through ahead of time.  Be careful of what you ask for in life, you’re liable to get it – and then some!

bbchem,

Well…If I didn’t know before, I guess I know now that you’re an active member here.  Thanks on many levels!  Now…if I’m right about the Minis, you get to be one of the first guys to wear that smug grin I was talking about a while back.  Enjoy!

DU,

Well…what do I say to you?  I guess you know me better than anybody so I don’t suppose I have to say anything.  It’s good to know that you’re always there covering my backside though.  Thanks my friend!

John R,

Thanks for your input and support.  Your ideas are well taken and I already agree with and have understood most of what you’ve suggested.  The website has been in sore need of completion – not just updating - for some time now.  We lost our webmaster a while back, before it was even done.  Then there’s the biggest thanks I owe you.  If it weren’t for you, well…Thanks!!!

ooheadsoo,

Thanks to you too as well my friend.  You’ve always been an avid supporter and I’m here for you in whatever way I can help.

Jumpin,

Thanks to you as well.  Yeah, it looks like a lot of you guys are well set to start an audio museum!

TheChairGuy,

Thanks for your support and kind words.  Controversial or not, it’s good to know that at least you haven’t found me to be too boring.  It’s also rewarding to know that there are folks like you that have the ability to see past the emotion of the moment and appreciate the fact that  - right or wrong - at least I’m trying to be real with folks.  Best wishes.

Bigfish,

FEAR NOT!!!  I’m here for ya!  I was there for you when you had questions wasn’t I?  I never “pulled back” and left you hanging with questions or concerns did I?  And there’s not a customer that will ever tell you that I “hid” from them either – and they never will.  The ONLY thing that’s changing is that I’m asking for everyone to post the bulk of their questions publicly.  That way, even if you never purchase, at least SP Tech gets the benefit of that posting and my response popping up at the top of the AC home page for all to see.  I’ve been being told to...wink, wink – hint, hint…get a clue Bob…learn how to market.  Well, there you go…how’s that for starters?  Don’t anybody dare me to start thinking!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
Carlman,

Thanks for the input.  Here’s a few responses as I’m sure others would be thinking the same thing.

What good is a discount on a speaker that has no established value to begin with?

Conversely, what good is a discount on a speaker that is well established – from a manufacturer’s perspective?  Sure, discounts on closeout clear out old stock, but unless you’re Bose or Klipsch and you’re trying to hit a year end sales target, they don’t do a thing to help the boutique manufacturer other than to reduce his net profit.  You might sell a couple more pair, but your net is less so you’re doing more work for less money.

The whole purpose of the introductory discount is to get people to try something they would hesitate on otherwise.  Sure, there aren’t any guarantees but what the heck, the discount makes it less of a risk.

Why are they better than the other speakers I can hear every day?  It's all talk.  I can't hear them.

Well…I’d say on a certain level, that’s a good thing, at least for most of the guys here on AC.  If SP Tech or any other brand were a household name, you’d be paying accordingly.  And, if/when that day comes, you will be.  The benefit for doing your research and seeking out the small manufacturer, for putting down cash up front, for waiting in line and putting up with delays, etc. – is that you end up getting more value for your dollar – hopefully.  The price we pay as small manufacturers is that we have to offer, besides better products, better customer service and the top designers and executives have to remain accessible.  Do you know anybody that has ever personally corresponded with Amar Bose?

You seem to be counting on one passive-hobbyist audio forum and a classified site (that has some image problems) to promote your speakers... one is free, the other isn't all that expensive.

No…just ain’t had time to do anything about them – been busy BUILDING speakers.  If what we’ve been able to do up to this point hadn’t worked to some degree, we’d have plenty of time to do the other stuff.

From a buyer's perspective you're a speck on a huge screen. To get bigger costs lots of money and/or time.  You can't just put up a sign and say 'here I am', there has to be a bigger strategy, long term goals, and a plan to get there.

Thanks.  I know you mean well, but…give me a little credit, will ya?  Besides, overall I think things have worked out fairly well.  You say you can’t just put up a sign and say, “here we are” and expect any sales?  Well, that’s pretty much just what we’ve done and we’ve sold quite a few speakers, considering the fact.  It all depends on your expectations and the size of the community that you put your sign up in.

Say you were in a given city and you want to start a computer business.  Well, if you’re the only game in town then the community might just beat a path to your door.  Otherwise, things will probably start out slow until the word gets out that you’re better at it than most (if that’s the case – if not you’re really in trouble).  Assuming you really are good, it all comes down to how long you’re willing to wait for business to pick up.  On the other hand, you could just be “average” at what you do and throw a ton of money at advertising.  You’d probably grow fast at first, but then there’s a serious question as to whether it will last.  It’s the old tortoise vs. the hare story. 

Heck, we’ve all seen plenty of Indians hawking flowers on street corners and intersections.  One’s success at simply “throwing up your shingle” is largely dependent on the size of the community you’re in.  Our expectations from AC were based on the fact that, regardless of its reputation as being composed mostly of “thrifty” consumers, it’s pretty big as far as forums go.  In my opinion and considering all of the variables, my expectations of selling “more than one pair” of Minis on the first go around was justifiable.  Adding bbchem’s purchase to the total puts my projection right on target.  Yeah, 5 or 6 pair would have been nice, but I never expected that.  “More than one” was all I ever expected and by golly, that’s just what we got after all.  So there.

I respect you for trying but I'd recommend acknowledging your strengths and weaknesses and then hire/contract appropriately.  Stick to your core competencies as best you can and let others help you get your brand established and successful.

Hey…I’m all about delegating.  All in due time my friend…all in due time.

gongos & MaxCast,

Good idea.  Once we get ahead of the order curve, we’ll give it a shot.  Don’t give up on me Max, I’m either at the shop or at home 99% of the time.  If you want, PM me and I’ll give you my home phone number.

Lonewolfy42,

Always “thanks” to you my friend!

F-100,

Already do.  You have 30 days to hate the Mini and send ‘em back.

A6M – ZERO,

Thanks for everything.  Of all the people I have ever personally known, my old man deserved the nod.  I’m sure he’ll appreciate the toast!

mcullinan,

Thanks for seeing past the surface.  It’s sort of sad that some of that stuff “below the surface” has to change, but life is about change, so…Oh, and I’m totally psyched about the site – you ROCK!!!

doug s.,

“Yust” what are you doing around these digs?  :lol: Welcome!!!  Don’t worry… no more proselytizing.  Now, if anybody is interested, THAT you can PM me about!

Hey…you been peeking in my windows?  Hang tight – MTM on its way.  You don’t think I designed that NuForce S-9 just to let the work set idle, do ya?  A good business plan always means you glean as much from your research and efforts as possible.

this site had "cheapskate" written all over it, from its inception!  everyone here wants to reach the holy grail in sonic reproduction for pennies!

OK, I don’t want to re-open a can of worms here, but…I have a question.  Since JohnR is asking for manufacturer “support,” does that imply that maybe it would be a good thing for AC if that “image” were to change a little? I don’t know if that’s necessarily true for your average member… or even AC in general for that matter, but I highly suspect that as far as the other manufacturers go, they sure wouldn’t mind if that were to happen!

Take care all,
-Bob

« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2007, 02:54 pm by SP Pres »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Now, if you come up with mini S-9s at under 2k per PAIR, I am game.  aa

doug s.

• makin' music
hi john,

to answer your question - imho, absolutely not.  i think it would be a good thing - for this site, for the folks that participate here, for the mfr's that participate here, & for the audiophile hobby in general - if everyone here can enjoy this hobby, & if mfr's can prosper by being "cheap" - ie: by offering real walue for money, instead of trying to appeal to the mentality that if it's super expensive, then it must be the real thing.

ymmv,

doug s.

doug s.,

...this site had "cheapskate" written all over it, from its inception!  everyone here wants to reach the holy grail in sonic reproduction for pennies!

sp pres:  OK, I don’t want to re-open a can of worms here, but…I have a question.  Since JohnR is asking for manufacturer “support,” does that imply that maybe it would be a good thing for AC if that “image” were to change a little? I don’t know if that’s necessarily true for your average member… or even AC in general for that matter, but I highly suspect that as far as the other manufacturers go, they sure wouldn’t mind if that were to happen!...

doug s.

• makin' music
me too - that's why i mentioned it earlier!   :green:

doug s.
Now, if you come up with mini S-9s at under 2k per PAIR, I am game.  aa

yo2tup

Bob,

Very cool now, looks like it was just a misunderstanding of the original post :thumb:  You have to admit, it was a little verbose  :P  :D

I'm considering a pair now... :green:

Kevin

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Bob,

Very cool now, looks like it was just a misunderstanding of the original post :thumb:  You have to admit, it was a little verbose  :P  :D

Kevin

Bob "verbose"?   :scratch: :scratch:

Nah!!

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

George

Double Ugly

Me, too. 

Shocking, isn't it?  :wink:  :rotflmao:

JohnR

this site had "cheapskate" written all over it, from its inception!  everyone here wants to reach the holy grail in sonic reproduction for pennies!

OK, I don’t want to re-open a can of worms here, but…I have a question.  Since JohnR is asking for manufacturer “support,” does that imply that maybe it would be a good thing for AC if that “image” were to change a little? I don’t know if that’s necessarily true for your average member… or even AC in general for that matter, but I highly suspect that as far as the other manufacturers go, they sure wouldn’t mind if that were to happen!

Hm. I regularly see people here dropping thousands on a new component. I wish I had the money to consider that a "cheapskate" purchase. I think there's certainly a tendency to seek value for whatever amount is being spent, whether it be a few hundred or several grand. But that's an Internet thing..... I think -- isn't it?

Anyway, concrete suggestions are always welcome for discussion and for formulation into whatever action is appropriate.

BTW I'm glad to know that you are so acutely aware of the value of others' time. I expect you'll be one of the first to sign up as a site sponsor in the next round :thumb:  :green: