Best Bang for Buck upgrade?

vfrpilot

« on: 25 Aug 2003, 05:56 pm »
I am looking to upgrade my system. Since I live in a small apartment and I don't want to cause turmoil I really cannot add a subwoofer which would probably be my most fundamental upgrade with regards to more full range sound.  With that in mind, my current goal is to work towards cleaning up the sound I already have. I would love for the noise floor to be diminished as well as some introduction of more midrange bloom and depth without giving up anything at the extremes.

Current system is:

Pioneer DVD transport (modified)
bolder original digital cable
Dio (very similar to mensa but all homegrown) + stantor ps
Bolder type 2 w/ bullets
Clearaudio Solution TT
Creek Tuner
Unison Research Unico
Mapleshade helix
GR research Paradox 1 w/ sonicap/mills upgrade
Monster power strip 1000
TG Audio HSR PC x 2
Silver Audio PC

My upgrade choices are a bit diverse and vary in price but I wanted some input on what people thought would be a good first and second step.

Bolder Power Strip w/ 2-3 bybees (would be an overall upgrade which could affect all sources, Plus!)
Bolder Wall Wart for DIO (would only help the DIO and might not be as helpful as the Power Stip ? )
Bybee/bullet-plug upgrade to my Digital cable
Room Treatments including Tube traps and or Corner tunes
Ack DAck
New Speaker Cable

Any advise on these or other things I could try would be helpful.

Aaron

Wayne1

« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2003, 06:40 pm »
The Power Bar would be the best choice to drop the noise floor on the whole system.

The power supply for the DI/O, it is NOT a wall wart :? , is quite a bit better than the Stancor. It will reduce noise and give the DI/O more dynamics and a tighter bass.

I would suggest you replace the Type 2 interconnects with either the M-80 or NITRO. The older design is very good but both the M-80 and NITRO sound better. The NITRO has far better dynamics and extension.

The last place to try some things are with the power cables. Quite a few folks have replaced their higher priced PC with the NITRO PC.

The speaker cable will make a difference but I have never heard the Mapleshade cable so I cannot really comment on how much of a difference.

vfrpilot

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2003, 08:59 pm »
Thanks Wayne,

Didn't mean to slander the DIO PS. :-)  It looks like a well thought out and built unit.

Can anyone else talk about their experiences with a Bolder PStrip? Perhaps in relation to a PLC or a Balanced Power unit?

BOK

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2003, 06:25 am »
pilot,

I have a 5 Bybee Bolder-8 power bar with cryo'd Acme outlets waiting for me when I get home from a business trip.  Should be able to offer some opinions after next week, or so.

It will replace a PS Ultimate outlet and a DIY strip I made with Hubbell cryo'd outlets.

I am looking forward to hooking the Bolder power bar up, to say the least.

BOK

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2003, 12:24 am »
If you want to take the power bar to the next level cheap plug a Blue Circle BC86mkIII noise hound into it. My review is in the critics circle. Cost- $110.

witchdoctor

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2003, 12:27 am »
PS- The 8th Nerve room treatment made a HUGE difference in my small apt. More info is at their room here on audio circle. ( after you get the power bar)