DIY Horns...

EchiDna

DIY Horns...
« on: 25 Aug 2003, 06:39 am »
Anyone here got expereience with building or heard LABhorn subwoofers?

http://www.prosoundweb.com/lsp/

http://home.comcast.net/~labhorn/

http://camphuisen.com/?id=489

:mrgreen:
thanks in advance...

JohnR

DIY Horns...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2003, 01:29 pm »
Yeah right ;-)

Thinking of making a pair?

gonefishin

DIY Horns...
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2003, 02:16 pm »
Yeah, I've heard the Labhorn sub...this is perhaps the most impressive bass I've heard.  Low, clean and plenty of power.  The amazing thing is how well it produces low notes even with low volume...I know that this should be expected...but I haven't heard any "box" sub even come close.  The EdgarHorn TiTan horn sub is also quite nice sounding...tho it doesn't reach the depths like the labsub...it does produce that nice low distortion bass that only a basshorn can make.  

I would caution you that if you intend to use the labsub inside...and crank it up a bit...you had better have everything secure ;)

enjoy!

EchiDna

DIY Horns...
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2003, 03:11 pm »
JohnR - yep I am actually considering a pair for loungeroom use - it's a big room, 10 metres x 8 metres and I don't want to corner load or anything special ;-)

gonefishin, thanks for the input, your words are the type of thing that has driven me to really consider this project...  it's that clean accurate bass that I'm looking for, not the 116db efficiency  :mrgreen: I'm thinking a gainclone per channel would be sufficient for in house use, what do you think?

thanks in advance,

billfort

DIY Horns...
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2003, 09:02 pm »
I have heard the LAB and agree with gonefishin, low, clean and powerful for sure, the kind of bass you only get from a horn, the stuff that rumbles your body and the building you have them in. My preference though is the Edgarhorn sub – it just seems “faster” and more like real music where the LAB makes big, huge, MONTROUS bass that is very impressive and over the top but to me, seemed a little slow and out of step with the (almost) full range horn speakers it was used with (Altec A-7s). For pro use or some kind of warped home theatre torture chamber, the LAB would be killer.

On a placement note, even though the LAB is a huge “box”, the horn mouth is quite small in horn terms and there is no cheatin physics - it was designed to be used in sets of 4 or more when not in a corner. To get low notes from 1 or 2 LABs, it should be placed in a corner (as it was when I heard it) or EQ’ed as the Edgar is.

Just what I heard in 1 listening session so this might not be worth much.

EchiDna

DIY Horns...
« Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2003, 03:20 am »
thanks billfort, what you say makes sense but the DIY part of the labhorn is what catches me ;-) if you know of plans for something akin to the edgar horn sub, then I'm all ears, although a 6x4x4 box might be pushing it a little for the WAF!

billfort

DIY Horns...
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2003, 04:17 am »
Agreed EchiDna, the great DIY support for the LAB including those detailed plans and readily available drivers is exactly why I would give these serious consideration if I ever had a room big enough for these monsters. The Edgars are available as a “flat pack” kit with driver for about $1k but shipping a few hundred pounds of mdf to Singapore or Toronto from California is pretty ridiculous, especially since I’d want to cut and build my own cabinets from local sourced Baltic birch anyway. Sure would be nice if Edgar sold plans & drivers for his beast.

On the WAF thing, these are both absolutely huge horns and I found the LAB particularly nasty from a “home furniture” perspective, the Edgar didn’t seem too bad, but I have a pretty high threshold for things like this.

doug s.

• makin' music
DIY Horns...
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2003, 07:34 pm »
echidna, why not buy drivers from vmps for a pair of their larger subs, along w/instructions for cabinets?  not quite as unwieldy, not too expensive, & still monster, accurate, undistorted bass output.  my older hi-boy style cabinet subs are rated at 95db/1w w/<0.5%thd, -3db at 17hz; >120db output w/<5%thd.  i tink the newer lo-bow style cabinets are similar, but ~92db/1w/1m...  for accurate quick low bass, only the infinity irs tower subs, w/six 12" servo drivers per side, have compared to the vmps, ime...  and, i'm talking about *music*, not h-t.  i don't watch movies...

doug s.

gonefishin

DIY Horns...
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2003, 07:55 pm »
What are you going to use this sub with (what speakers)?  Is there anything else in the room?  do you have the capability of placing the sub anywhere in the room?  You say it'll be used for lounge room use..is this at your house?  in a business?  how many people are likely to be in the room at one time?

If you want some damn fine tunes I would look into the titan sub (unfinished).  If you after something with a bit more umph...the labsub.

EchiDna

DIY Horns...
« Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2003, 12:01 am »
DougS - I didn't realise you could buy the VMPS subs as a drivers only option. will check it out, but my mind is pretty set on horns....

Quote from: gonefishin
What are you going to use this sub with (what speakers)?  Is there anything else in the room?  do you have the capability of placing the sub anywhere in the room?  You say it'll be used for lounge room use..is this at your house?  in a business?  how many people are likely to be in the room at one time?

If you want some damn fine tunes I would look into the titan sub (unfinished).  If you after something with a bit more umph...the labsub.

Right now I own no sub, so I'm looking at that area first of a future all high eff. speaker system.  I was transferred in my job to Singapore and because of this I am building my system again through time as a DIY effort to use up my spare time and develop my electronic skills. The room is in my house is not my home, it is temporary and as such, I'm not concerned that the labhorn is overkill for this place. I want the oomph that the labhorn will bring and I've heard good things about it's musicality as well, it just doesn't go as high as some others who don't go as low as the labhorn... The sub will get both music and HT use as the room I'm in does lounge/hifi/HT/dining purposes and the wife loves movies  :roll:  

The Titan kit is pretty much out due to the reason mentioned by billfort, too much weight to ship so far just to throw away most of the wood and change it for something else. I'd almost pay the going rate just for the plans...

gtg, work becons...