Separate 15A circuit for each Bryston component?

BMU (Bryston Maggie User)

Separate 15A circuit for each Bryston component?
« on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:03 am »
Hi

We're moving to a house soon.  I've mapped all the circuits in the family / home theatre room.

There are 4x15A circuits in the room
There is a 15A circuit in the room dedicated to one 2-plug outlet.  There are also three additional 2-plug outlets one - each supplied by the remaining circuits.  These outlets are on circuits that also supply pot lights (on dimmers!) or other areas / appliances of the house.

So... any recommendations on which circuit(s) to use for the following:

9B-ST (5 channel)
5B-ST (3 channel)
SP 1.7

Velodyne DD-12 Subwoofer

28"Tube TV

DVD Player / Cable box / VCR

Will having everything on a dedicated circuit limit the current available for the components vs. having certain pieces on separate (shared) circuits.?

Thanks

Alex

jethro

Re: Separate 15A circuit for each Bryston component?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2007, 01:32 am »
Alex,

I would try everything on the dedicated circuit as a start to see if the
circuit breaker pops. I have several dedicated circuits and I have had
ground loop issues to sort out in the past. You may avoid that (and dimmer noise)
by using only the dedicated circuit. I would stagger the powerup delays on the amps.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have a cheap watt meter which goes in-line
with the item being tested. One of these may give you an idea how
much power you are using with your system.

HTH, Steve

Burke

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2007, 01:57 am »
Hi Alex,

Will having everything on a dedicated circuit limit the current available for the components vs. having certain pieces on separate (shared) circuits.?
Of course it will. But while it may seem advantageous in concept to run your HT equipment off of separate circuits, I can think of at least two reasons not to do so.

First is grounding. Separate circuits have the potential for introducing a grounding differential when all the components get connected together that may introduce an annoying 60 cycle hum. While Bryston components are engineered to be far less susceptible to this effect than most other brands, why tempt fate? :>)

Second is the controlled lighting and “other appliances”. Dimmers are notorious for introducing spurious noise into the power circuit and it is typically not a good idea to have HT/music equipment connected to the same circuit(s). Refrigerators and microwave ovens are also prime suspects for muddying the power circuits they are on, causing fluctuations when they cycle – so you don’t really want any of your components on the same circuit with them either.

Currently (so to speak) I have three Bryston 7B SSTs connected to one power circuit and so far, have not tripped the breaker. I might add that I also have a Bryston SP2, a Class A stereo power amp of a different brand and my universal player connected to the same circuit. (However, my front projector is on a different circuit, connected through a pure sine wave UPS.) Of course, it would be impossible to max out all these amps at one time, given the limitations of a single 15 amp circuit, but I am not planning to open a techno club in my HT any time soon. ;> )

So my advice is to try connecting your Bryston gear, the Velo sub and the source components on the circuit that does NOT have the dimmers on it.  Probably the TV, too. Try connecting the SP1.7 and amps using the 12c volt trigger mechanism. (Sp1.7 to one amp, then "daisy chain" the 12 volt trigger input on other amp or a 12 volt triggered power strip -- see recent thread on that -- that the amp is plugged into controlled from the 12 volt trigger output on first amp.) This will avoid having everything power up at once and thus reduce the chances of popping the breaker.

If you find that you overly tax the circuit with that combo, you may want to have an electrician run another circuit for the TV (since microwave ovens or refrigerators cycling can really play havoc with a video image), or have the electrician yank out the dimmers on one of the other circuits and get a ground isolation circuit device such as Klipsch’s Mondial “Magic Box” to use on the cable/antenna input for the broadcast video sources.

Hope that helps.

Burke

ec

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2007, 04:07 am »
I agree with Burke,  I believe there is a perception that dedicated circuits are a must.  Certainly they help but I would say for the overwhelming majority of installations a correctly installed isolated single 15A circuit will do just fine.  The only concern I would have is the dimmer noise.  I use two circuits each on their own 15A breaker and I run a lot of power:

Bryston 6B SST
Bryston 4B SST
Bryston 3B SST
two Crown K1's (550 wpc into 4 ohms) powering 4 passive subs
two Guitammer Buttkicker amps (something like 1000 watts into two ohms) powering 4 buttkickers
Velodyne HGS12 sub
CRT front projector

plus all the ancillerary gear

I have never tripped a breaker and I have run the both Crown amps into clipping for some short term bass spl tests.  It is amazing how loud just a few watts of power can be with mid efficiency speakers (say 87 - 90 db speakers). 

I use a power conditioner for the purpose or using the 12V triggers to remotely turn on the Buttkicker amps and projectors.  At one time I also had a rack mount "power strip" that had a meter on the front indicating the power used and I don't recall it ever being close to max or even half way.

BMU (Bryston Maggie User)

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2007, 12:49 pm »
Ok, Thanks for the input.

I actually don't have triggers on all the gear so I have been "manually" staggering the power up of the system in the condo unit.

Everything at present in the condo is on a shared 15A circuit - no breaker trips but I notice that the "overload" indicator on the surge protector lights momentarily when I power on the amps and sub.  Perhaps this is the "high current" draw on powerup that has been mentioned on this forum previously.

I do want to avoid all the potential issues associated with the dimmers so I guess I'll start with everything on the single dedicated 15A circuit.

Good points about the ground loop... now if I wish to add a home theatre PC in the mix should I put on the same circuit as the rest of the gear.

Thanks
Alex

ricko01

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2007, 11:35 pm »
My suggestion is before you make the plunge to multiple outlets, measure what current you draw with all components plugged into one outlet.

I was planning multiple outlets but before I did I got a "Watts Up?" power meter (around $100 of the web)

With this I measured how many amps and watts I was drawing.

I have four tube monoblocks and lots of source componets and was suprised that even at max listening volume I was drawing only 9Amps.

So I have one dedicated outlet will all components of one power conditioner and I have no ground loop hum and no load issues.

That $100 save me lots more.

Peter