An on-sale supposedly great 720p projector

ctviggen

An on-sale supposedly great 720p projector
« on: 22 Jul 2007, 04:58 pm »
This is supposedly a great 720p, DLP projector:

Samsung Projector

Every review has been fantastic.  HOWEVER, it supposedly has problems.  It's unclear as to how many of the projectors have had problems or whether they've fixed the problems.  Here's a link to a discussion of the problems:

AVS discussion

If you get one that doesn't have problems, supposedly the picture is outstanding and already calibrated to D65 (and at a high level of light output, too). 

Bemopti123

Re: An on-sale supposedly great 720p projector
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2007, 05:25 pm »
I have read some of the threads.  I do not know, eventhough the PJ might be cheap in comparison to the image it project, I still would hold on to my dough.  At close to $900, it is still no chump change.  I hate when things go south and CS is less than stellar.  What would be the point to buying a piece of technology that you are most likely to encounter problems with with less than 50 hours or within a year?  I fork more dough and get myself an flat screen TV or something.   :thumb:

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2007, 07:22 pm »
It is definitely a toss up.  I have a problem though with most websites devoted to electronics or even cars, as all you hear from are the people who have had problems.  You don't get "I purchased this a year ago, and it's fantastic!" threads, as those people no longer go to the website.  For instance, the only time I go to a Saab website is when my Saab is having a problem.  The other 99% of the time, I don't do anything and am not on the website.

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2007, 08:34 pm »
It is definitely a toss up.  I have a problem though with most websites devoted to electronics or even cars, as all you hear from are the people who have had problems.  You don't get "I purchased this a year ago, and it's fantastic!" threads, as those people no longer go to the website.  For instance, the only time I go to a Saab website is when my Saab is having a problem.  The other 99% of the time, I don't do anything and am not on the website.

That's fine with me. As someone who got screwed and stuck by Sharp with what I consider to be a defective projector, I would rather read about the problems with a piece of equipment and decide for myself if it's an exception or a defect.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2007, 03:58 pm »
I'd probably opt for the Mitsubishi HD1000 or Optoma HD70 for that price.

jaywills

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2007, 04:32 pm »
One of my projectors is an Optoma H70, which I bought last October (2006).  Been trouble-free for me and, as my first PJ, was pretty impressive--no second thoughts about my purchase (at Best Buy retail) whatsoever.  No experience with the Samsung or the Mitsubishi.