Dodd Audio tube head phone amp (new pics)

Danny Richie

« on: 23 Aug 2003, 11:13 pm »
Gary and friends came up from Dallas today.

Gary brought his new head phone amp that I had heard about.

It was a lot bigger than I thought it would be. It was a hefty little amp for head phones, and had three pretty good sized transformers on it.

It use an Alps Black Beauty pot as a volume control too. Typical Gary Dodd mind set not to use anything cheap anywhere.

It was a dual mono design other than the shared power supply so each channel had its own tube.

It used no caps in the output either.

Two different sets of Grado headphones were used to demo the amp.

I was really surprised at what I heard. The sound was the best I had ever heard from head phones.

I have listen to some high dollar head phone systems several times and was never really impressed with any. To date the Melos pre-amp had the best head phone amp that I had heard.

Gary's went way beyond that.

Gary's was super quite. No noise level at all.

Highs were clear and extended, midrange had a lush grab you feeling, and the lows went way lower than I thought possible from head phones.

It was way cool. I could get used to listening to a system like that pretty easy.

I believe Gary will be asking $650. for the amp, plus cosmetic additions, fancy paint, chrome, and exotic wood side pieces might bump it up a little.

Sounds like a really good value to me. If you are considering a head phone amp this would be one to check out.

mkyy

« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2003, 04:41 am »
Any specs?  picture?  Thanks

markn

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2003, 03:55 pm »
I have to agree with Danny about the new headphone amp, I had never really heard headphones sound that good.

One thing Danny forgot to mention was that we had two sets of headphones, one cost about $1000, and the other $69.

You would be amazed how close they were, for $69 everybody should have a pair of the Grado 60's!  Match that with Gary's new amp and you will be set.

Mark

Danny Richie

A couple of pics
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2003, 08:51 pm »
Here are a few pics of the new headphone amp.

myoung

Dodd headphone amp
« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2003, 07:34 pm »
A friend and I were comparing a few pieces of gear this weekend, including the Dodd headphone amp, which Gary kindly let me borrow last week. I'd been knocked out by the performance from the first tune, but I haven't spent a lot of time listening to competing amps, so I had no real way of telling how good the Dodd was compared with the competition.

My buddy, on the other hand, has listened to a bunch of stuff, from a tweaked Earmax he uses with Sennheiser 600s to a Cary 300SEI to various ASL offerings and most of the Headroom line.

He was impressed. It wasn't quite equal to the Cary, he said, but it "sounded better than just about anything I've heard for less than $2,000."

He was also amazed at how good a modest pair of Grado 60s sounded with the Dodd. They'd always sounded too dark and not detailed enough, he said. But these matched enormously well with the Dodd -- maybe because Gary has a pair of Grados in his listening room ...

To my ears, the Dodd offers amazing detail. I often use Brubeck's "Time Out" as a first listen on new gear, mostly because everyone has heard it and largely because I've heard it about a million times. The Dodd, through the $69 Grados, presents deep, powerful bass (and the creaking, woody sound of Gene Wright's double bass is right there in the room), the percussive energy of Brubeck's piano, a very melodic alto sax (and a nice, damp reed) and the most stunning rendition of Joe Morello's drum kit  I've heard. Each slap of the snare sounds like a gunshot. The kick drum booms like thunder. The echoes and other ambient information reinforces exactly the photos of that session, with Morello tucked toward a corner of the studio. Very impressive.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to come up with the cash for this little impulse buy with Christmas breathing down my neck ...

Mike

duff138

« Reply #5 on: 25 Feb 2004, 02:02 am »
anyone else get a chance to listen to this headphone amp?  Anymore opinions or comparisons with different amps.  thanks

tg3

« Reply #6 on: 25 Feb 2004, 04:34 am »
Quote from: duff138
anyone else get a chance to listen to this headphone amp?  Anymore opinions or comparisons with different amps.  thanks

I got a good listen at the Texas DIY 2003.

I played several CDs, most notably a fabulous a cappella choral piece that has wide dynamics, fantastic inner detail and a lot of very soft sections. Sound was wonderful, and dead quiet when required.

Sorry, nothing to compare with. However, it changed my 'why-bother-with-headphones-except-on-airplanes' attitude quite a bit!

markn

Proto-type Headphone Amp
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2004, 12:58 am »
I am the proud new owner of the proto-type unit for the new Dodd Headphone Amp!  It is not nearly as attractive as the photos that Danny posted above, but man does it sound good!

We just ordered some NOS WE tubes, that should take it up another notch.

I haven't had a lot of experience with headphones, mainly because I couldn't stand to listen very long with my old receiver...  Now, it is hard to take them off.

Mark

Carl V

Re: Proto-type Headphone Amp
« Reply #8 on: 4 Mar 2004, 01:46 am »
Quote from: markn
I am the proud new owner of the proto-type unit for the new Dodd Headphone Amp!  It is not nearly as attractive as the photos that Danny posted above, but man does it sound good!

We just ordered some NOS WE tubes, that should take it up another notch.

I haven't had a lot of experience with headphones, mainly because I couldn't stand to listen very long with my old receiver...  Now, it is hard to take them off.

Mark

I heard this unit at the DIY Texas Event as well.

It was much better than my Older Headroom amp
or my Musical Fidelity Cans amps......WOW!

I played quite a few CD's.  If you're in the market for a headphne AMP
this is a must a listen.

myoung

Dodd headphone amp ...
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2004, 07:56 pm »
Hey Mark,

Has the design of the headphone amp changed from the one photographed at the start of this string?

I heard that one, loved it (and have one on order)!

thnx,
Mike

markn

Headphone amp
« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2004, 01:54 pm »
Mike,

No changes that I am aware of.

I got some new tubes last night, some NOS RCA's, they are much better than the Raytheons I was using!  Much quieter and more open!

I am sure you will be very happy with the amp when you get it!

Mark

markn

Tubes...
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2004, 08:20 pm »
Anyone with one of Dodd Audio's headphone amps should try to get a pair of WE 417a's, they are so much better than the Raytheon's I had to start with it isn't even funny!

Much lower noise floor (nearly inaudible), super clarity, well worth the money!