Your First CD

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Your First CD
« on: 20 Jul 2007, 12:24 am »
I want you to think back to your very first cd purchase and if you still have that cd.

My first cd player (forget the model #) was a Yamaha that was at the time the cheapest cd player on the market at $500.

My first cd was Grover Washington's "Mr. Magic" that I still have.

1000a

Re: Your First CD
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2007, 12:51 am »
First CD Joe Jackson- Body and Soul (so I could go home and compare it to the vinyl version), bought it before I bought my CDP, for auditioning gear.

It was about Summer 1987 (stayed way from digital for awhile)

listened to NADs Adcoms and so on, I also took the CD and auditioned players at Circut City, had been hearing about a 99. Magnavox that supposedly at the time was extremely good for the money do not remember the number.  I could have thrown the piece across the room like a frizzbee.
That was my first exprtience with anything all plastic that was part of a stereo.

long story short they had evidently gotten in a Phillips CD960, I guess by mistake, they were shocked someone finally bought it- and I did for 650. :D

I believe that piece sold at the time for 1,000. a ton of money for me at the time- I was pretty shocked I spent 650. , but new they were giving it away. It just died maybe 1 1/2 yrs ago.   

Vtech2000

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:11 am »
I'm trying to remember - that was over 20 years ago - but I know it was something I already had on vinyl.  Same for the first several CD's I bought, I think.  But I always prefered the "sound" of vinyl to CD at the time - CD as medium has come a long way since then, thank God.  No, I don't still own any of those first CD's.  First CD player was a Yamaha purchased from Sound Advice in Jacksonville, FL.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:15 am »
Pearl Jam - Ten....repurchase of the tape on CD.  I was 15 living south of Seattle, year was 91 or 92...CD player was in my truck only....I was cool to have a CD Player in the car but honestly it didn't sound different than the tape. 

jakepunk

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:03 am »
Yes 90125 with a Sony Discman.  Great album, still have it.
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2007, 03:19 am by jakepunk »

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:20 am »
My first CD's were Sammy Hagar and Grand Funk Railroad compilations sometime in the late 80's.

Believe it or not, I sat on those plus a few more select CD's for about three years until I finally broke down and bought a CD player. At the time, I refused to pay what they were asking for a decent player (if you could call early players decent). In turn, I kept buying vinyl, new and used until they forced me by stopping vinyl production on many new releases. I still haven't forgiven the record companies for that move.

markC

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:38 am »
My wife bought me a NAD CDP for my birthday in '87 along with a few discs. The only one that I remember is John Hyatt, which I still have. The display died on it about 6 years ago, but it still played fine. I traded it to my friend for his garage system for a case of beer....He's still using it!
I think I'll have to give that disc a spin.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:44 am »
I bought my Cd player first...a Magnavox CDB650....not a bad player.They even had mod's for it...a little later. Then I went and purchased three Cd's....at "The Wiz"....

GRP Super Live in Concert....a two cd set
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

Ah.....perfect sound forever.... :lol:

some young guy

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2007, 04:54 am »
i got a technics cd player for christmas in '85. i think it was an slp300. i also received a peter gabriel "so" cd. i wound up trading "so" for an eric clapton "slow hand" (which i still have) cd and later re-bought "so" on sacd, which i still own and occasionally listen to.

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:28 pm »
I'm pretty sure it was Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms"...

arthurs

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:38 pm »
Level 42 - "World Machine"

God bless the 80's.......

DMF

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:42 pm »
Motley Crue "Theatre Of Pain". Guess it was sometime in 1985 when it came out. At the time it was the only CD at the Rota, Spain Navy Exchange. I bought it and a POS Technics CD player that lasted about a year before it stopped reading my CD's. Thankfully both are long gone.

Thebiker

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:51 pm »
The first CD was purchased the same day as the player, an ADC Model CD-100X, not a bad player for its time.  I still have the player and use it at work in my office hooked through a Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 radio.

The first CD was Earl Klugh, "Soda Fountain Shuffle".  Still have it too.  Bought that CD because I already owned the vinyl and wanted to do a side by side.  Yup, the vinyl sounded better, but the damn CD was convenient.

PhishPhan

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:43 pm »
I can't remember if it was Hootie and The Blowfish-Cracked Rear View or if it was the Top Gun Soundtrack. Keep in mind I this was back in 1994 and I was only nine years old. I was obsessed with Top-Gun; I'd check it out from the library all the time and could recite just about every cool line from the script. This was, of course, before the days of Tom Cruise's couch-stomping, Scientology-preaching theatrics. I had a huge crush on Kelly McGillis, too. :oops:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:57 pm »
OK i know the answer and this may be weird but the first two lp's i bought were Black Sabbath - Paranoid and Deep Purple Machine head which are also the first two cd's that i bought

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2007, 03:43 pm »
Working 3rd ship in a Dept. Store, we had to have music to listen to on all those great Sparkomatic stereo systems while we worked so we grabed a new one that just came out. It was Nazareth - Hair of the Dog. I bought it when the store opened in the morning. This was my first CD. Still have it.

I don't remember the first player I bought but the first decent one was my JVC 1050. Wish I still had it. Loved that 'index' feature.

mcullinan

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jul 2007, 04:00 pm »
America Greatest Hits History

RJ

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jul 2007, 02:23 am »
Flim and the BB's   "Big Note"

elcaptain88

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jul 2007, 03:45 am »
Steel Wheels - Rolling Stones

Late '89 or early '90. Still have my first 'cd-player' - a high-end Panasonic 'boombox' - which still sounds great, can't find boomboxes built like that anymore.

mcrespo71

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jul 2007, 04:02 am »
A-Ha Scoundrel Days