• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: 120GB HD for 5G iMod yet?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2007, 01:06 pm »
Hi Vinnie, any news?

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum!

To my knowledge, the 120GB hard drives are not out yet.  I believe a few different companies claim to have these in the works (Toshiba, Seagate, and perhaps Samsung).

This drive is supposed to be the same size as the 60GB and 80GB drive in the 5G/5.5G iPods and is supposed to use the ZIF connector... so it really is just a matter of waiting for it to hit the market (and who knows how much it will cost?  :o) and once they are available for purchase, I'll be able to install 'em when doing the iMod.

If anyone has any links to updates to these 120GB drives, please let us know  :bounce:

Thanks,

Vinnie

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2007, 01:11 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Vinnie.

I love your imods but really need the 120GB storage so all my favorite music will fit.

I've been waiting for months, I will just keep waiting!

I'll do some regular searching the net too and let you know when they become available.

Thanks,

Steve.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2007, 01:20 pm »

I love your imods but really need the 120GB storage so all my favorite music will fit.

Well you can keep all your music on your computer and in iTunes, you can select 80GB worth of music that you want to put on your iPod (your most played music).  When you want to remove some files from your iPod and put some other ones on it, you can do that with iTunes. 

Of course, it will be easier to just have everything on the iPod's hard drive  :icon_lol:

BTW, there is a 100GB hard drive available for it  aa:
http://www.mini-drives.net/toshiba-mk1011gah-100gb-hard-drive-for-ipod-and-55g-stock-p-1218.html

stevenkelby

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2007, 01:31 pm »
Thanks for that, I knew the 100GB was out now but thought you might have the inside scoop on the 120!

If I just get a 80GB from Ken now, would it be possible for me to install a 120GB when they are available? I am pretty confident I would be capable, but are there any reasons it would not be possible? I've never opened an ipod, but have opened plenty other things, I changed platters on a 2.5" single platter, single sided hard drive that had a damaged head and got the data back ok. There are guides on the net for  opening a ipod, do you think it would be possible for a non-pro to do?

Thanks,

Steve.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2007, 02:21 pm »
Thanks for that, I knew the 100GB was out now but thought you might have the inside scoop on the 120!

If I just get a 80GB from Ken now, would it be possible for me to install a 120GB when they are available? I am pretty confident I would be capable, but are there any reasons it would not be possible? I've never opened an ipod, but have opened plenty other things, I changed platters on a 2.5" single platter, single sided hard drive that had a damaged head and got the data back ok. There are guides on the net for  opening a ipod, do you think it would be possible for a non-pro to do?

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

:!: I do not recommend that anyone opens their modded iPods.... there is very delicate wiring inside and it is very easy to get into trouble (damage something) if you don't know exactly what you are doing in there.  Opening your iMod will void your warranty with RWA :!:

This is why I will replace ANY part in my customers' iMod... FREE of charge as long as they send me the replacement part.  So if you were to buy the 80GB iMod and later on when the 120GB is available, simply send your iMod and 120GB drive to me and I'll install it for you at no charge.

The same is true if you ever want your battery replaced (or any other part).  Send me your iMod and replacement battery (or any other part) and I'll replace it at no charge.

I offer this service for as long as you own your iMod, and my turnaround time is very reasonable  :green:

Best regards,

Vinnie

stevenkelby

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2007, 12:32 am »
That sounds like good advice.

Thanks for the offer of lifetime service, I was aware you did this but it's nice to be reminded. I live in Australia so shipping is slow and expensive, but sending it back to you would be worth it to be safe.

I will sell my X5 on headfi and buy from Ken.

Thanks Vinnie!

isamu

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2007, 11:05 am »
Hi Vinnie. Just confirm, if we buy a new 5G iMod you would have no problem installing the 100GB currently on the market, but cannot do it on the 4G?

Are you by any chance selling any 5G iMods with the 100GB already installed? Or do we have to buy it, and then send it to you? If so, how much would it cost if we say, let you keep the default HD already in the iMod, and have you put in the new 100GB one?

stevenkelby

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2007, 12:26 pm »
isamu,

I'll try to answer. From previous emails with Vinnie I understand that you are correct, he can put a 100GB drive in the 5 or 5.5G imod but the connector is a different type in the 4G so the 100GB drive cannot work without some kind of an adapter, which no one makes.

Also, as with a bigger capacity battery, you have to buy the bigger HD and have it shipped to Vinnie to install in an imod, he cannot supply them.

I wouldn't think that the removed 80GB hard drive would be worth anything to Vinnie but maybe wrong.

isamu

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2007, 05:46 am »
isamu,

I'll try to answer. From previous emails with Vinnie I understand that you are correct, he can put a 100GB drive in the 5 or 5.5G imod but the connector is a different type in the 4G so the 100GB drive cannot work without some kind of an adapter, which no one makes.

Also, as with a bigger capacity battery, you have to buy the bigger HD and have it shipped to Vinnie to install in an imod, he cannot supply them.

I wouldn't think that the removed 80GB hard drive would be worth anything to Vinnie but maybe wrong.
I see. Thanks for the explanation :)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2007, 03:43 pm »
isamu,

Everything that Steve mentioned above is correct  :thumb: