Ratdog and Keller Williams

PhishPhan

Ratdog and Keller Williams
« on: 18 Jul 2007, 01:45 pm »
I saw Ratdog for the first time last night at the LC in Columbus. Great show aside from the rain. They opened with a great version of Shakedown Street. Steve Kimock was there filling in for the Mark Karan and you could definitely tell Kimock was there from the sound of his guitar and the style of play. It was really beautiful with the lights and the rain, especially when they shined the bright lights on the audience and it illuminated the rain falling down. That mixed with the booze, various hallucinogenic fumes, dancing hippies and great tunes made for a surreal experience last night.

Keller was killer, too. I've probably seen him seven times now, and he never fails to amaze me with his musical ability and spontaneity. Keller has a very nice collection of unique guitars, and he used all of them during his short (as far as jam bands go) opening act.

martyo

Re: Ratdog and Keller Williams
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:02 pm »
Last summer Ratdog and the Cheese toured together taking turns opening for each other. On the Cheese's site a youngster I presume(I'm an old timer and at Cheese shows I'm definitely older than most), reviewing a show wrote a paragraph on the Cheese's performance. He then made the comment "that Ratdog sure played some dank jams".  :lol: Thought that was hilarious. And Kimock Can play and Keller is awesome!

PhishPhan

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:22 pm »
Cheese is great. Especially the stringed variety :lol:. I'm a little sad to see Nershi leaving, though.

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:44 pm »
Yeah.  :(

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:50 pm »
String Cheese
Keller Williams
Ratdog

What titles would you guys recommend starting with?
I see String Cheese basically have live recordings of shows as well as DVDs.

Thanks

mcullinan

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:52 pm »
Ratdog is only a placebo compared to the Grateful Dead or JGB...
 :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :( :?
M
That f..er ate to many chilidogs. too many...

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:07 pm »
Maxcast,
If you like DVD's, I like the Cheese's "Live at the Filmore". I like their first one too but it is interlaced with interviews.

And of course Ratdog ain't the Dead but I think they can "play".

martyo

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:09 pm »
Maxcast, if you get any Cheese, let me know how it sounds on the Salk's.

mcullinan

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:13 pm »
I will have to check out the string cheese... who do they sound like?
M

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:24 pm »
Thanks Marty, I'll add that to my to get list.   I know what you mean by laced with interviews.  My Jack Johnson DVD is like that and I feel it disrupts the video.
Will do on the Salks  :thumb:

I first heard the Cheese on XM radio.  I could always "spot" them by their sound/syle and enjoyed them more than most on that particular station.

mcullian, think fast Dead, or something to that effect.  Go check out some samples
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1207289&BAB=E

martyo

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:30 pm »
I'm 56. Started seeing the Dead in '69 at the Filmore West. I was at their last 2 shows. Never thought anyone could make me feel like the Dead and Jerry did. I just took a chance on the Cheese in 2002 at Alpine Valley. Really, half way through that first song "Smile" I had "that" feeling again. Their roots are in bluegrass, but the types of music they play is very broad. They can sound like the Dead, funk, almost anything. Friends I have that are not Deadheads but listened to alot of the boys with me over the years think the Cheese are more musical. Not to compare them. They are like the Dead in that they are influenced by what they hear, and it's a different generation. For me, their whole vibe is positive, like Jerry was. They are the Cheese, not the Dead, but the Dead and many others influenced them.

PhishPhan

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:49 pm »
String Cheese
Keller Williams
Ratdog

What titles would you guys recommend starting with?
I see String Cheese basically have live recordings of shows as well as DVDs.

Thanks

I would strongly recommend Breathe. It's Keller with SCI. It gives you a good idea of their respective sounds.

As far as straight up Keller, I like his first record, Freek, because it really showcases his voice and guitar work, but Laugh is perhaps more accessible because it's more polished.

As far as SCI, I would recommend their first live CD, A String Cheese Incident. Their studio stuff is good, but their live stuff is better IMO. My favorite studio album is Untying the Knot because it showcases their eclectic style.

sts9fan

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:52 pm »
For keller I am a big fam of "Home" and "Laugh"

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:54 pm »
Hey!
Im um 39 and was a big time punker, mohawk and such, and my best friend at the time took me to see my first Dead show in 88 or 89.. I guess this was around the third wave of Deadheads... Anyways I was hooked and very stoned (hehe) There is nothing that can touch Jerrys voice, its naked truthfulness.. and the whole band jamming, so perfect together. And the JGB took it to a whole new level.
Mike

martyo

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:58 pm »
I remember when Jerry had a Mohawk. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: