First album, first gig

caddisgeek

First album, first gig
« on: 17 Jul 2007, 11:11 pm »
It was noted in an earlier thread that someones first live band they ever saw was Captain Beefheart! I can be interesting to see what got other people started on this journey. I'll start it off;

First Gig: Painters and Dockers - Raucous Aussie band (well they used to be before the disapeared up their own rear ends) with a wild live show and social conscience

First Album: "TNT" AC/DC, on cassette, since replaced by vinyl, listened to last week

So c'mon and spill your darkest secrets, and lets be honest people

Zero

Re: First album, first gig
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2007, 11:20 pm »
First album;  "Bad Hair Day" Weird-Al Yankovic

I was roughly 13/14ish at the time. Prior to this album, I never really listened to music beyond what my parents listened to. This was my very first CD with 'modern' tunes.

First gig/concert;

When I was younger, I recall attending a few settings with lots of live music. Unfortunately, I was too young to remember anything specific. My first actual concert was when I was 16 or so years old - when I went to the "Ruff Ryders" gig featuring Method Man, Redman, Jay-Z, and DMX.  This was sometime back in the late 90's. Believe it or not, it was pretty fun.

caddisgeek

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2007, 11:37 pm »
Oh yeah I forgot age is important!

I saw the 'Dockers when I was 15 at an all ages show, first pub gig (bar show) was the Hard-Ons (Aussie punk legends) about 6 months later

I got TNT when I was 8 (had older brother influencing my musical tastes at that stage)

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2007, 11:57 pm »
I don't remember the first album, I do remember the first 2 records I bought were 45's one was by BB King (can't recall the song) and "Lookin' out My Backdoor" by CCR.

First live show I saw was Yes's "Tales of a Topgraphic Ocean" tour.

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2007, 01:24 am »
Age 13, Edgar Winter - They only come out at night.  First album actually
in a set of 10 records for 99c from Columbia House...

First concert, age 15:  Deep Purple, Milwaukee Auditorium, nosebleed
seats.  Went with my best freind from high school.

Last year, he was out in Portland and we checked out their show,
it was almost 30 years to the day!!  Pretty cool....

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:00 am »
First album given to me was Art Blakey Live at birdland, from my Grandmother when I was six. My father swiped it to keep me from ruining it, but I got it an played when he wasn't home. Then I found his Firehouse Five and Bob Scobie dixieland records. A couple years later I was playing trumpet and that Art Blakey record started a happy career playing jazz. Some of the greatest jazz trumpet solos ever recorded on that record. A lot of current jazz musicians fell in love with jazz because of that record. A close friend who 'plays' Ozzy in a Sabbath clone band heard it one day and said, "this is good, I could actually listen to this!"

First gig was Jazz Reunion Concert at New Haven University. Everybody that was anybody was there. Ellington, Roach, Dizzy, Mulligan, Brubeck, Basie, Stitt, Eldridge, Sassy, on and on. I think Krupa was there too, Jon Faddis played there, he was 14, Dizzy introduced him as his son. I was 5yo in 1970, but I remember it clearly. Max Roach was superhuman. They were standing on the armrests for 10 minute applauses. They wouldn't let him stop playing solo drums. It was a magical moment. We left a little early because I had to pee.  :duh:

bally

• http://www.kirrabilli.co.nz
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:05 am »
G,day,

First live gig(no alcohol) Hush 1974
First live gig(with alcohol)Midnight Oil at the Royal Antler at Narrabeen 76or77 i think.
First EP Little Arrows by Leepy Lee 1968
First LP Fog on thr tyne by Lindisfarne in 1971
Cheers
Bally

Gordy

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2007, 03:48 am »
My first album bought was in '67 and was either The Doors -The Doors or The Mamas and The Papas - Deliver.  The next two were Led Zep I and Mothers of Invention - Freak Out. 

First big name live band... not sure  :lol:  Arthur Brown or Iron Butterfly?  Owsley was there though...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:05 am »
The first album....that I bought with my own hard earned dollars, back in 1964....

Remember them.... :lol:

Before that, I was buying 45's.... :wink:

First show....back in high school....1967....just before they became Led Zeppelin....they were the "New Yardbirds"....

That was a good show....and they played in the school cafeteria.....glad to see they went on to bigger and better things.... :rock:

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:24 am »
OK, don't laugh but my first album was this (about 1964 or so)...

My first gig was seeing Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes around 1971 (I'm discounting many trips to the St Louis Symphony before this). They were playing a motocross track in St Charles Missouri. The band set up and played on a 40' flatbed trailer. I still remember sweaty Teddy doing Papa's Will.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:38 am »
Nice Lp Scott....hey....I didn't laugh....but I found the story...... :thumb:

How about a nice newer Cd....... :guns:

Airborn

« Reply #11 on: 18 Jul 2007, 06:40 am »
Anyone rememer a TV show called "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert"? It influenced my first album purchase, as I saw this skinny kid perform a song called "Refugee" and went out the next day and bought the album "Damn the Torpedoes" by the kid, Tom Petty. I still have that album! I also got Blondie's "Heart of Glass" because she looked so good on Don Kirschner's show.

As for my first concert, that was Molly Hatchet at King's Dominion Ampitheater in Virginia. I think I was 13.

DeadFish

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:11 pm »
Hey, I think it was the '60s, how am I supposed to remember THAT?! :wink:

The first record I remember 'buying' was a mail-in deal with Kraft cheese products, and little cash, and I got an LP of Perry Como.
Ah, nothing stirs my memories like a heavy dose of 'Mr. C'.... :thumb:

First record in a store was 45rpm 'Secret Agent Man' by Johnny Rivers.  Traded it later for Fantastic Four #2...

First LP,

and finally, first concert was Jimi Hendrix with Cat Mother & The All-Night Newsboys openning.

Ah, what fun!

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:47 pm »
First album was Huey Lewis and the News, Sports when I was 11, on my new little cassette player, Emerson I think. :icon_lol:

First show was ZZ Top at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center when I was 15, 12th row and still the most bass impact at a show I can remember, or just the first bass impact, whichever. :icon_twisted:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:59 pm »
My passion for music started with one event. I came across a 45 of The Beatles " I Saw Her Standing There" in a pile of records in my parents stereo in a cabinet thingy's, and played it over and over and over......I lost my mind on that song. To this day, that song still affects me the same way. It embodies the raw energy that I get from rock music.

Growing up as a little kid, I was lucky as my parents owned a bar, and of course, back in those days, it had a jukebox. I would get to keep all the 45's that would come out of it when they would turnover the selections. It was cool, I used to hang around the guy that would change the records, and there were counters to indicate how many times each song got played. They would keep those songs, and update the least active ones. I had tons of 45's, ( Motown, Pop, Country, Rock 'n Roll) but sadly, only one of those cheap turntables that would close up in a briefcase.  :(

First album I bought, was the soundtrack to "Grease". Soon after was Led Zeppelin ( I ). After that was Van Halen (I).

We had live bands play in the bar, so I wasn't new to live music. Been exposed to that since the age of 7.

First arena rock show, I was 13 or 14, saw Van Halen during their 81' "Invasion" tour at the Montreal Forum.  :guitar:

Cheers

« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2007, 03:32 pm by Daygloworange »

mfsoa

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:37 pm »
First album I can remember going out and spending my own money on: Billy Cobham - Shabazz (live with great band - Brecker Bros, Abercrombie, sicko keyboard player Milcho Leviev IIRC). It was only after I heard the studio cuts that realized what INSANE tempos the live versions were. 7th grade so that'd be what, 12 yrs old. Don't have the album anymore  :(

First concert was Chicago but I went with my dad so that only counts half. First I recall by myself was Jean-Luc Ponty on the Enigmatic Oceans tour at Alexander Hall on the Princeton campus. Another great band - Holdsworth, Daryl Streumer (sp?), Ralphe Armstrong, Allan Zavod and Steve Smith. JLP tripped over backwards over his pedals and snapped a violin in half.

And to extend the topic, my most memorable show was Weather Report at the Trenton War Memorial Auditorium. (see my avatar photo)

WEEZ

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2007, 11:47 pm »
First lp purchased: "Elvis Presley" on RCA; I still have it. It's a mono record, but uses the RIAA curve. RCA called it "New Orthophonic" high fidelity... :o..... :lol: (contains 'Blue Suede Shoes' and 'Tutti Frutti') circa 1956 :thumb:

First concert of a recording artist I attended was Blood Sweat & Tears...fall of 1969, I think.

WEEZ!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2007, 05:04 am »
1st concert was cat stevens at the kennedy center, 1969.  (i was thirteen, i went w/my g/f.  that afternoon, we were in the same venue watching vladimir ashkenazy play a solo piano concert)  1st winyl purchases (1966) were three 45's - i fought the law, by the bobby fuller four; these boots are made for walkin', by nancy sinatra; & the ballad of the green berets, by barry sadler.  1st lp purchases (1969) were three lp's - hendrix - smash hits; donovan - greatest hits; & iron butterfly - in a gadda da vida.  1st fave album was a copy of my sister's album eric burden & the animals, greatest hits (1965).  1st real stereo, purchased in 1969 was a dual 1229 turntable, pioneer sx828 receiver & those ubiquitous bose 901's.  the 1229 got thrown into a dumpster in ~1985, after sitting unused for almost 10 years, the 828 got sold to a local used equipment shop in ~2000after sitting unused for over fifteen years; i still have the 901's, which served as nite-stands until ~2000, & stopped being listened to in ~1988...

doug s.

nathanm

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2007, 03:16 pm »
First LP: Herbie Hancock "Future Shock"  CD: Boston s\t

First concert: Overkill, Galactic Cowboys, Anacrusis at the Eagles Ballroom in Milwaukee, WI  1992 I think.
I was front and center, right against the barricade with the singer's wedge monitor and very large and very stoic bouncers about 4 feet away.  The two openers were great, but when Overkill took the stage with "Deny The Cross" the pit fucking erupted and I was smashed in all directions by a legion of punters.  I will never forget that moment!  With the strobe lights going and having to fight like hell to prevent one's ribcage from crushed against the stage it was truly surreal.  I lasted for about two songs and then had to squeeze back to outside the pit for some relief.  I really wish everyone could experience a mosh pit at least once in their life.  My only regret is that I never got to experience stage diving or crowd surfing.  Oh well.

martyo

« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2007, 05:15 pm »
I'm going to date myself with this. My first 2 albums (bought together) were Andy Williams: Days of Wine and Roses and Johnny Cash Ring of Fire.

1'st live event: Top 40 station show where each act did a couple of tunes. I was so young and in the Balcony it could have been lip synced. Here's who I remember and what they played
Peter and Gorden: World Without Love and something else
Tom Jones: What's New Pussycat, It's not Unusual
The Turtles: It Ain't Me Babe, Eve of Destruction
The Shirelles: Soldier Boy and something else
Billy Joe Royal: Down in the Boondocks

Art Roberts, the night time DJ from WLS was the mc.