Query: Tempest phono stage sensitivity & dual preamp out

Bob A (SD)

I use a pair of low output Denon moving coil cartridges: DL-103D @ 0.24mv and DL-304 @ 0.20mv.  From the specs I've seen the Tempest phono stage handles MM and high output MC only.  Has Klaus modified the circuit for anyone to increase the gain?  

I know I could utilize an external step up device with a Tempest preamp but would prefer that any replacement preamp I acquire for my system that has a phono stage be capable of handling the cartridges I prefer.

Second question concerns dual preamp outputs.   I see some have had this feature incorporated as a mod but it appears (and I could easily have misunderstood here) that the only way Klaus provides this involves sacrificing one of the inputs.  Correct?  If so I'm a bit puzzled as it wouldn't seem to me that difficult to add a pair of unbalanced output jacks and the associated wiring obviating any sacrifice of an input pair.  Or is the back panel that crowded already?

I've e-mailed Klaus with these questions despite reading here that he much prefers phone contact.  Did so simply to determine if such mods are doable first before pursuing the notion of adding this unit to my system.  

Any counsel advice and wisdom here would be most appreciated.  BTW I'm running a solid state bi-amped Magneplanar IIIa system and have a tuner, turntable, reel deck, two cassette decks, a CDP, and a digital satellite music feed as sources.  So a pure line stage pre without tape and phono capabilities is not something I'm looking for.  

Bob A :?:

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2003, 03:49 pm »
Now I'm even more confused.  Found a reference to a Tempest user who mates it successfully with a Carnegie Madrigal MC (0.28mv).

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=general&n=199365&highlight=odyssey+tempest&r=&session=

The only other reference about stage sensitivity I'd found was in this forum which said it was spec'd  for high output MCs like the Dynavector 10x4 which is a 2.5mv cartridge.

So what is the phone stage sensitivity?

Bob A

klaus@odyssey

• Facilitator
    • http://www.odysseyaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2003, 09:01 pm »
Bob,

The Tempest has indeed both,  MC and MM stages,  selectable and switcheable.  The MC stage has a standard 47 K,  and I have used it with the 0.2 mV  Symphonic Line RG 8 Gold with great success.  Don't think that I'd go any lower than that,  though.  However,  again,  keep in mind that the Tempest is the $ 3,300 SL  RG 2,  which SL  has been tweaked and improved for nearly 2 decades.  Also keep inmind that Rolf is a die-hard analog lover (with one of the largest Opera - and classical voice collection I've ever seen, & old Jazz greats),  and you'll have an idea that the phono section is actually one of the priorities of the preamp.  

As for 2nd outs,  we don't take an input away,  we just add a couple of our connectors and jump them to the main outputs.  We do,  however,  take an input away if we'll modify a Tempest for an AV  bypass.

Hope this helps,

Klaus

Bob A (SD)

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2003, 09:19 pm »
Klaus,

Great news!  Looks like I need to call you.  Only mod I'd need then is that second unbalanced output.  Whew-:)

Again my thanks for the sanity check!

--Bob

Bob A (SD)

Order placed today.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2003, 02:09 am »
Klaus is a true gentleman and was great fun to talk to.  I'm looking at about 4 to 6 weeks for delivery which works out fine with me.  This should be a great addition to my system replacing a vintage 23+ year old pre -:)

--Bob

Bob A (SD)

It's HERE -:)
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2003, 01:15 am »
http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/320.html

I know we're talking about new and not broken in yet here but already I'm impressed with how tight and expansive this puppy sounds -:)

Thanks Klaus!!!!!!!