Hot switching DAC1/DAC2 on my BP25DA Pre-amp

Barry.B

Hot switching DAC1/DAC2 on my BP25DA Pre-amp
« on: 14 Jul 2007, 12:13 am »
Hi All,

I finally took the plunge and ordered a Slim Devices (now Logitech) Squeezebox SB3 network streamer and currently have it connected to my BP25DA pre-amp via S/PDIF to DAC2.  My Meridian G08 CDP is also connected the BP25DA via S/PDIF to DAC1.  My question is, should you be able to "Hot switch" between the two sources ie with them both powered up and emitting a signal to the pre-amp.  I was comparing a CD ripped to the SB3 verses the same CD playing on the CDP.

I found that after a couple of switch overs the DAC (I assume it was) in the BP25 cut out as if it had overloaded and the only way I could get music playing again was to shut it (the BP25) down using the power switch on it's power supply and restart it.  I can't find any literature on the Bryston web site that advises you don't do this.  Is there a protection circuit that cuts in if you "Hot switch" between DAC1 and DAC2?? or have I got a snag with the pre-amp.

You may be interested that although the SB3 is very good for a £200 "Black Box" there is a distinct difference in the sound quality to the G08's favour (well there should be, it costs £2500 retail).  The soundstage of the G08 is fuller and richer and is spread evenly between the speakers, where as the SB3 sounds "thinner" and more music is gathered towards the speakers. 
Anyone know if the SB3's "burn in" like most Hi Fi equipment?
So it seems that manufacturers of good quality CDP's don't have to panic as was suggested by some, but I haven't managed to borrow a Slim Devices Transporter to compare with the G08 yet.  The G08 isn't going back in its box to be sold for a while, the SB3 will be used for general listening and internet radio (for when our wonderful British Government pulls the plug on FM radio!!!!!!) and the G08 for serious late night music sessions. UK's Planet Rock is pretty good so far, any suggestions for some decent US classic rock stations would be nice.

Any comments re the Hot switching snag would be gratefully received, many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Barry.B

Burke

Re: Hot switching DAC1/DAC2 on my BP25DA Pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2007, 03:24 am »
According to the owner's manual,
DAC-1/DAC-2 TOGGLE SWITCH: Only on BP20DA &
BP25DA models, this switch determines which of the two
SPDIF digital audio inputs is processed and then sent to
the tape and main outputs. The SOURCE select switch
must also be in the “DAC” position to monitor the digital
audio inputs.
So if you toggle back and forth between the two, it would make sense that the BP25DA would accept whichever digital input is selected and ignore the other. Of course, if you accidentally (or intentionally) move the source switch to some position other than "DAC", neither DAC-1 nor DAC-2 would be active regardless of the position of the toggle switch.

Also, the manual also states that the BP25DA preamp's two digital audio SP/DIF inputs accept 16 kHz to 108 kHz sample rate and 16 to 24 bit word length. So if either of your devices is producing a bit stream output outside those parameters, perhaps it is "overloading" the BP25DA. But more likely, if the signal were outside the accepted parameters you wouldn't hear anything from that source from the get-go rather than after a couple of throws of the toggle switch.

Just some thoughts... good luck!

Burke

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2007, 09:35 am »
Only thing I can think of is that the DAC is loosing the "clock" when you switch. I will see what engineering has to say. I switch between a PCM digital cable 44Khz FM feed and a CD Player all the time and no issues.

james

Barry.B

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2007, 07:58 pm »
Hi All,

I finally managed to get my BP25DA down to my dealer Phase 3 in Southampton England to check it out, we hooked up a couple of CDP's to the DAC inputs and toggled the switch several times.  I am pleased to say the pre-amp performed as it should and didn't "drop out".  When I got back home I re-connected the G08 to DAC 1 without the Squeezebox and yes the amp performed correctly, add the SB3 to DAC 2 and after toggling  the  DAC selection switch a few times and the pre amp cut out. this doesn't happen when analogue inputs are used.

So it would appear that the SB3 maybe faulty causing the BP25DA to drop/mis-read the incoming data stream????, the top 1/3 of the display has failed already so I'm not that impressed with my recent purchase (March this year).  It also suffers from frequent drop-outs when listening to internet radio, but that could be our copper wire based broadband connection served by the wonderful British Telecom.  Cable broadband apparently isn't much better in our area either, what's the performance like across the pond?

I expect the Slimdevices/Logitech Transporter should be a better bet as it is aimed at the "audiophile" market, but it's £1200+ and I haven't enough points with SWMBO (would be lost with out her) yet for that, having blown those getting my current system.

Any suggestions for alternatives for a network storage and streamer system gratefully received.

I must say thanks to Sam at Phase 3 in Southampton, Ceri Thomas at PMC UK and the Tech guys at Bryston for their help in solving the cause of my snag.  Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees.

Regards,

Barry.B