resistor replacement technique

analog97

resistor replacement technique
« on: 12 Jul 2007, 02:06 pm »
I need to replace 6 resistors in my Piccolo project because I screwed up.  getting the first couple out I found difficult because the solder stays in the hole.  I use braid.  I tried both clipping off the resistor and getting rid of the remains and also trying to keep the resistor in place and using the braid to evacuate the solder.  Both were pretty tough and I don't want to overheat the board!  Any suggestions extremely welcome.  Thanks in advance! 

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
Re: resistor replacement technique
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2007, 02:15 pm »
i had to do this neatly on c-j preamp. what i did was that I heated the joint, got the resistor out, left the remaining solder in place.

I then heated up the spot and pushed the new resistor in place, added new/more solder. done. I needed another set of hands, my kid helped me.

I may be wrong but removing all old solder may not be needed. Melting that old solder along with new solder was my approach. It worked very nicely in my case.

there is also a vacuum you can buy that will suck up the solder vs using the braid.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2007, 02:16 pm »

gitarretyp

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2007, 03:53 pm »
I often do as pat does. Sometimes, i pull the component and then use braid or a soler pump to remove the old solder/clear the hole. If you're working on a delicate board, simply heating the joint and pulling the component out can damage the solder pads on the board. So, exercise caution with this method.

hagtech

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:59 pm »
Pat's got it right.  Especially when working with ground planes.  The trick is not to remove solder, but to add more!  I add solder to the joint (new flux), heat it up for a second or two, then pull that leg of the resistor out with a tiny pliers.  Other side is then easier.  Lots of solder will keep everything heated up and you won't pull or break traces.  The added flux is very important.

With a lot of practice, I don't even use the pliers anymore.  Just put iron under that little loop of exposed leg, heat up, and lift. 

Only after part is removed do you remove solder.  That's when the braid or vacuum pump comes in.

jh

analog97

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2007, 02:30 am »
Thanks to all.  I had to replace 8 resistors because I really misread the small print.  221k's instead of 221's, etc.   I found it very difficult to do, but the only way to fly was, as suggested by Pat and confirmed by jh.  Using solder braid does not do a very good job of sucking the old solder out of the hole.  I thought I was gonna fry something and have to throw away my Piccolo!!   Alas, with correct resistors installed, it is now playing like a charm.  Thanks again for the helping hands, all!!