626Rs On The Floor???

UTLaw

• http://www.utexas.edu/law
626Rs On The Floor???
« on: 21 Aug 2003, 11:31 pm »
I will soon be purchasing a pair of 626Rs...  :D  :D  :D

There has been a lot of talk lately about the importance of placing a beard on standard speaker stands.  The value in doing so seems apparent.

But...

Has anyone considered using the tilted floor platforms from Mappleshade (Bedrock stands) with the 626R?  There is a long discussion on these speaker stands in the Critic's Circle.  

Hype? Great concept?  

Let the discussion commence!

John Casler

626Rs On The Floor???
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2003, 12:39 am »
I think you might run into several problems.

1) the Bedrock stands would lower the neopanel and tweeter to below ear level, which would likely lower the soundstage proportionaltly

2) there would be a significant gap below the front edge of the speaker which would not offer the "boundary" a beard would offer.

3) putting the tweeter and Neopanel closer to the floor would present "floor reflection" even though they have limited vertical dispersion.

The ROOTED BUTTRESS by Mapelshade however might offer an excellent stand if it is placed off the cones and built high enough (usually 20-26 inches)

Why not just find an old pair of used speakers, screw and glue a piece of plywood over the drivers (to keep them from moving) either paint the whole thing black, or if you're handy, veneer it to match, and fill them with sand. (not in that order) :mrgreen:

Voila...perfect 626R Pedestals.

jasonc

626Rs On The Floor???
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2003, 01:27 am »
Haven't heard the Mappleshade stands put they look solid. For what they go for if your willing to spend a little more I would strongly suggest looking into Sound Anchors.   Got mine through John and got a good deal though still expensive as far as stands go.  
I believe custom built bearded Sound Anchor stands are the last stands you will ever need for the 626R's.  Why subject this fantastic speaker to anything less is my take.. also happens to be the same approach I've taken with my retired greyhound who has been given her own couch to drool on :wink: ..

John Casler

626Rs On The Floor???
« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2003, 01:54 am »
I believe custom built bearded Sound Anchor stands are the last stands you will ever need for the 626R's. I say why subject this fantastic speaker to anything less

While they are a little pricey (I try to help) and take a little while to get, the SA Jason talks about are truly great for this speaker.

also happens to be the same approach I've taken with my retired greyhound who has been given her own couch to drool on

The lucky dog :mrgreen: