My Ultimate Mk.III prototype review

Bigfish

Re: My Ultimate Mk.III prototype review
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2007, 02:51 am »
Just a brief update.

I finally got a chance to insert the Ultimate Mk II into my system late last night.

I started off with listening to my SB 3 with my Bolder modded Elpac. Then after about an hour and a half, inserted the Ultimate.

The difference was immediate. The difference is across the board.

I'm going to refrain from any specific comments at this time, and will pretend I am the first one to ever hear the modded power supply on an SB 3. I find reviewing things and putting precisely and completely what I heard into words quite difficult.

But from what I heard so far with the Ultimate Mk II, the improvement to overall sound of the SB 3 is vast and comprehensive. It's an improvement in a lot of areas over the Elpac.

Cheers

I am currently using a modded linear Elpac and saving for one of Waynes Ultimate Power Supplies.  I would greatly appreciate more comments about your experience with the Ultimate MK II.

Thanks,

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2007, 01:49 pm »
Just a quick tease before I head back to CO from MO. :wink:

The Ultimate Power Supply MKIII will not make it from prototype form.

I have come up with a refinement to the PS circuit that makes a BIG improvement.

So, what will become available will be the Ultimate Power Supply MKIV  :roll:

All of the previous models of Ultimate PS CAN be upgraded to MK IV level.

For the current MK II owners it would cost about $125.00 for the circuit upgrades.

I am adding a tracking voltage pre-regulator to the circuit. Last night in St. Louis we compared them and it was quite an improvement.

People that bought the old Deluxe PS can get their product upgraded to MK IV status. I am afraid that the Basic and Rev 1 cases are too small to hold all the parts.

I will post more when I get back to CO. If someone wants a the new MK IV circuit, I can build it in the current case. I will update the website with this information early next week.

Gotta hit the road, now.

Cheers!

Wayne1

« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2007, 04:02 pm »
The MK II PS is history.

The Ultimate PS MK IV is now the current champion.

More is posted here

The website has been updated with current pricing.

Please contact me about upgrades to your present PS.

Thanks

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2007, 03:04 am »

I am currently using a modded linear Elpac and saving for one of Waynes Ultimate Power Supplies.  I would greatly appreciate more comments about your experience with the Ultimate MK II.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken,

I also have the modded Elpac.

I spent some time listening some more tonight to the Ultimate Mk II PS. I had music on while catching up on stuff, so it was mostly background music. Then I settled in for some more critical listening. Listening to Seal's "Best of" CD as it's one of my favorite music wise, and sound wise.

After about halfway through the CD, I stopped and listened repeatedly to "Fly Like an Eagle " (cover of Steve Miller's tune) by Seal.
Then switched from the Ultimate to the Elpac. Clarity and resolution went down. Big time. Ambience around individual instruments is diminished. Reverb decays are shorter and duller. Leading edges are also duller, on instruments, vocals etc...

What I'll do is pick a list of a few songs that I really like the production on, and listen with both power supplies and take detailed notes. I'll go through the tracks as if I was mixing the tracks myself and give a play by play, on individual instruments and performances. Stay tuned.

What I will say is that you needn't listen critically to hear the difference in between these 2 power supplies on the SB 3. It sounds as if you are comparing two entirely different transports. The differences are not subtle. However I will try and give as critical a synopsis as to what I'm hearing in my rig. I'll consider it fun, although it will take me a few nights to do it.

Cheers  8)