Ultimate Power Supply MK IV

Wayne1

Ultimate Power Supply MK IV
« on: 18 Aug 2007, 03:59 pm »
There is a new king of Squeeze Box power supplies!

The Ultimate Power Supply MK IV  :roll:

I have been working on ways to improve this power supply since I first built it.

I have changed the circuit a couple of times and tried out a few different cases.

I have now made a large improvement to the circuit. I have added a voltage tracking pre-regulator circuit to the power supply which greatly reduces the already low noise floor. This results in a more balanced sound, tighter bass, better soundstage and generally cleaner, clearer backgrounds.

A comparison was held at Scott F's place with members of GAS this week. ALL who were there though it a pretty major improvement.

I have updated the BOLDER Cable website. All who order an Ultimate PS from now on will get the MK IV circuit. By RMAF, I hope to have a circuit board made with this circuit. This will be used along with a new case design. The cost WILL be more than it is right now.

If you are interested, now is a VERY good time to get the latest circuit in the older case for a very good price.

People who have the MK II PS or the older Deluxe PS can get them upgraded to the MK IV. Most of the MK II PS can be upgraded to MK IV for about $150.00. Older models may cost a bit more depending on what you actually have inside the case. Please get in touch with me through E-mail.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Ultimate Power Supply MK IV
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2007, 04:27 pm »
Count me in...

I will send you a PM.

George

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2007, 06:10 pm »
Wayne,

Sounds good.  I just ordered a new SB3 on Friday and when that arrives, it and the Ultimate II will be on it's way to you.  I'll email and we can figure out the details.

Where will it end :D

-- Jim

tonyptony

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2007, 10:58 pm »
Um... (looking around sheepishly)... road show for this one?

jhm731

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2007, 12:39 am »
Can you post a picture of the inside of "The Ultimate Power Supply MK IV?"

tdangelo

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2007, 12:44 am »
I'm sending my MK 2 next week.  I can't imagine it getting better but from my past experience with Wayne, I'm sure it gonna be better  :lol: :lol:

Tony

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2007, 12:59 am »
4 over 2 for $150 is a no-brainer IMO.   Proto III+ to IV is still worth it.

Bryan

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2007, 01:11 am »
Sorry guys,

No pictures of the innards.

This is my "proprietary" design and I need all the money I can get to pay for my daughter's college tuition  :wink:

No more hints of what is inside.

Tony,

Maybe after RMAF I will send out a sealed demo unit.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2007, 01:25 am »
Wayne

Will be sending you a PM regarding equipment for RMAf and personal use.. Thanks again for venturing over to STL on your school trip.  Definitely an experience for all of us.

Bryan

yo2tup

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2007, 01:35 am »
Do you still recommend bybee's in the ultimate?

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2007, 01:39 pm »
The Bybee Purifiers DO help clean up the sound even above and beyond the pre-regulator.

$400.00 additional cost for four Bybee Purifiers. Two after the transformer and two after the regulator circuit.

tonyptony

« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2007, 01:51 pm »
Sorry guys,

No pictures of the innards.

This is my "proprietary" design and I need all the money I can get to pay for my daughter's college tuition  :wink:

No more hints of what is inside.

Tony,

Maybe after RMAF I will send out a sealed demo unit.

Put my name on the list!

jrebman

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2007, 03:22 pm »
Wayne,

I have 2 bybees (large ones) left over from another project.  Would 2 make any significant difference, or are the 4 required for that?

-- Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2007, 03:34 pm »
Jim,

Any Bybee will make a difference.

The PS doesn't need the current capability of the large purifiers, but as you have them, send them along and I will install them.

I have tried the PS with two silver purifiers after the transformer and found better performance with 4 of the copper for the same price.

If you would want, I could use the two you have alone or add in another two of the Slipstream models.

jrebman

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2007, 04:50 pm »
Wayne,

Let me ponder this for a bit -- I still need some more cash before I can do all this, but hopefully it won't be too long.

If the large bybees are too much, then I think I'll do what I was originally going to do with them, which is send them to Dan Wright to be used in the PS for my Denon mods.  If I do go with the bybees, I'll go with the 4 copper slipstreams.

Thanks,

Jim

yo2tup

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2007, 06:33 pm »
I'll probably have the bybee done when I'm ready to send my MKII for MKIV.     :icon_twisted:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 2 Sep 2007, 03:15 pm »
My Mk IV was hand delivered by Wayne yesterday.   :thumb:

Also had a chance to have a few brews with Wayne and Sean (Sunshinedawg) before we saw Wilco last night - great choice Wayne!   :beer: :beer:

It will be coming back on the plane with me and I will give it a try on Tuesday when I am back home.

Thanks Wayne.

George