Weird problem with Marantz SR5200 and Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD TV

SunnyDay

I hope someone can help me troubleshoot this weird problem I have. I connected the audio output from the Sharp Aquos 1080P LCD TV to the TV input on the Marantz SR5200 receiver to make use of my HT setup when watching regular TV. If I watched TV using the receiver for the sound, everything sounds fine, but the receiver would automatically shuts off after about 5 minutes. I have tried turning the sleep mode off, but I just can't figure out why the receiver would behave like that. I have no problems watching DVDs with the receiver. BTW I was using DirecTV HD tuner also...Weird...

I hope someone has already encountered this particular problem and give me some pointers on how to solve it....
Thanks.

samplesj

How high are you running the TV volume?  It sounds like you are using the TV vol control instead of the receivers.  Try maxing the TV vol and control the vol at the receiver.  I wonder if you're sending the receiver too low a level and its shutting down because it doesn't sense a strong enough input (just like subs are usually configured).

Based on how you have it hooked up you don't have satellite or cable (at least to a level that requires a box) right?

SunnyDay

Hmm...I usually turned down the volume at the TV. I will try to keep it up at a normal level to see how the receiver behaves. I do have a DirecTV HD box that is feeding the TV directly. Thanks for the pointer...

ctviggen

Why do you have the sound from the TV output routed to the receiver input?  Couldn't you just route the audio output from the DirectTV box to the receiver?  And then never use the TV sound?  (or use the TV's sound when you don't want to fire up the receiver.)

bundee1

Or couldnt you just use the digital outputs (optical/coaxial) from the box or TV to the receiver?

electricbear

I think you are over driving the input on the receiver. If you turned down the volume on the tv a little it should remedy your problem. If your sat rec has a digital output you should use that instead of the tv output. If it does not you should use y splitters on the stereo output on the sat rec. Run one set of cables form the y to your tv and one set from the y to your desired inut on the Marantz. Another down side to using the audio outs on your tv is that you may experience lip synch problems. By running direct from the sat rec you will minimise this problem. 8)

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
I have a Marantz SR-7200.  The folks that are telling you to run a cable from your Sat. receiver to your Marantz are exactly right.  Then turn your volume all the way down on your Aquos.  There could be another reason your Marantz is shutting down.  When I first got my Marantz, it would shut down after about 5 minutes as well.  The source of the problem was two wires touching going to my Stax headphones that somehow got stripped when our couch got moved.  The Stax were wired directly into "speaker B" on the Marantz.  Your SR-5200 has a safety feature that will turn itself off if there is a short somewhere else in your system.(ie- any wires that may be touching)

rklein

SunnyDay

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I will try to see if I can use the analog audio output from the DirecTV box to connect to the Marantz receiver. I already connected the HDMI output from the DirecTV box directly into the Aquos, and the optical cable from the DVD player is connected to the Marantz already, so that is why I can only use the Marantz analog inputs. I will try it that way to see if it makes any difference.

The Marantz does not shutdown when I was watching DVDs, so I don't think there is any short in the system, but I will double check.

SunnyDay

After some testings, the problem is solved. The audio outputs from the DirecTV tuner, and the Aquos are encoded in digital dolby, and the TV input on the Marantz is not setup to decode such signals, so after a few minutes, the Marantz just shuts itself down. I have connected the output from the DirecTV HD tuner into the audio input reserved for the VCR1, and now everything is working fine....I guess it is time to upgrade the receiver.. :)